Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use to have a Blackhawk Hunter in 44 Magnum and a Blackhawk in .357. I could not hit the broad side of a barn with either, so I sold (traded) both of them off.
I Love my double action (GP100's and Redhawk's). I was looking locally on a gun trader /Sales site and noticed a Super Blackhawk that just caught my eye. Posted on the guy's post and we made a trade deal.
One thing that I always felt was the two that I sold because I could not hit anything with them was there was something wrong with them. I am a pretty good shot. I took this Super Blackhawk to the range today and had no problem what so ever hitting anything at all. Very happy with the gun. Does it shoot as comfortable as my Redhawk. Not even close, but it is as accurate just not near as comfortable as the Redhawk.
I do have one question though, why did Ruger go with the Dragoon Style of trigger guard ? That thing is painful of you're off hand finger upon recoil.
Anyway, Happy I made the trade and after a little cleaning and some work with some scrubbing green pad to get the scratches out it looks like new now. Rifling and everything else is excellent.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nice acquisition. I bought one in 90' that had the 10-1/2" bbl. I'm not sure if it's the gun or the long sight radius, but it's an impressive shooter. It cost me $315.00 out-the-door at the Warren/Niles Ohio gun show. I saw one in the case at LGS the other day and it was around $800 bucks now! The squared trigger guard has bitten on a few occasions when I first started shooting but it has tamed with time.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Very nice. I started hunting deer with one in blue, way back in the 70s.

Lots of opinions on that dragoon trigger guard as to the why of it. Have heard that it was originally thought to be LESS likely to rap the fingers, but my experience, compared to SBHs with the round trigger guard is just the opposite. I think, though, that the dragoon TG gave the SBH a very distinctive look, different from any other gun, even other Rugers, so it became something of a trademark for the SBH and stuck around. Have to admit, I do like the looks, but when it comes to shooting ...

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
The square trigger guard was suggested to Bill Ruger from none other than Elmer Keith! I learned to shoot on a blued early NMSBH! Nice trade too!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another person on another forum thought it may be my grip. I tried diffrent grips last night and he may be correct. I will try her again this week end. I think that I will have to hold a higher grip on this gun than I am use to. The Dragoon trigger guard does look good though.
Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have the opposite problem. The squared guard never bites me but the round one almost every time. Go figure. It has to be the way I grip the gun versus how others do.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did a little changing on the Blackhawk yesterday. I polished it up to a nice shine. This will be the last one I ever polish again, finger prints are horrid on it. I will have to keep a film of Renaissance or Johnsons Paste Wax on it. But it really is pertty :).
I did learn a lot about the gun during the process. I had never completely and I do mean completely taken apart a Super Blackhawk before. It was a good experience, especially reassembly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had a 91 10.5" SBH but the frame cracked and Ruger replaced it with a new one a month ago.

I like the Hogue grips, it eliminates that painful trigger guard hitting your fingers.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JeepnJohn,
Those definitely would stop the Trigger Guard bite but my hands are of the smaller stature and those grips just do not fit my hand. I usually take off all Hogue grips off my guns for smaller grips. Just what Mom & Pop plus God gave my and I am not complaining though. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
JeepnJohn,
Those definitely would stop the Trigger Guard bite but my hands are of the smaller stature and those grips just do not fit my hand. I usually take off all Hogue grips off my guns for smaller grips. Just what Mom & Pop plus God gave my and I am not complaining though. :)

I understand! God gave me big hands/feet for my 5'10" frame. And being a mechanic means those big hands get frustrating!

Pros and cons!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So far, I have never had my finger hurt by the square trigger guard on my Super Blackhawk, even with the stock wooden grips. But the rounded guard on my Smith & Wesson 629 has "bitten" me on several occasions. Changing the S & W wooden grips to Pachmayrs with finger ridges eliminated most of the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts