Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From the serial number, 195-49359, I see it is a '98. I love this gun becuase it is fun to "spray and pray with it (at the range) and my wife gave it to me one Xmas. It truly is one of the best 'shotguns' Ruger ever made! I have seen 12" patterns at 100 yards. I have put a barrel strut on it and it did help, but it is still not accurate enough to ethically hunt with.
I want it to be a tack driver . . . So I ask your help. Give me a list of suggested proven mods that will turn my baby into a weapon I can be proud of and rely on. ??New barrel, trigger job, bedding, and barrel threading??

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
If you have fired it enough to be sure you are comfortable with the iron sights, you might try a scope of some kind. I am also assuming you always have the same sight picture with your iron sights; that your breathing is under control; that your purchase on the rifle is always the same; and that your ammo is good enough to be accurate (that you have fired enough different brands that you know which brand and bullet weight is good for your rifle). Go slow with your mods so you can tell which ones are effective. If you make them all at once, you may make some you do not need. Also, if you make them all at once, you will not know what was the issue with the poor accuracy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oh yeah . . . All this was with a scope. And I reload as well as tried off the shelf. I am confident in my shooting technique as I recently was awarded a Distinguished Expert honor from an IRA shoot. I can hit what I'm aiming at. I have done a trigger job, and the barrel clamp thingy. Those two seem to be at the top of most peoples list. I would consider throwing money at it if I believed it would make enough difference in the accuracy. I'm not dellutional to expect 5 shots in one ragged hole at 100 yards, it's just not that gun . . . but it could do a lot better.
I also realize that at some point the money I throw at it could buy me a nice AR platform!

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
meat4lunch what brand of barrel strut did you use?? I have a Ruger Mini 14 ranch rifle mine is a 187 series so I also have the pencil thin barrel. You might want to do some work on your gas piston and some other action work. The is another forum member here a nice fellow from Montana I think his handle is sanddog or something very similar to that name. Anyway I have seen several of his posts go to the forum that covers the Mini 14 & I dare to be you can find some of his threads there. But I bet he can help you out. My rifle is like new and I do not want to get too deep $$$ wise into mine to get better groups. I plan on after the first of the year to do the barrel strut option for now I need to go to the shooting range to fine tune my scope I did bore sight it but thats about all I have done for now. But good luck to you sounds like your rifle is similar to mine hope this information will help!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts