Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the 2" greater barrel length on the 1S (24 vs 22), is there any other difference between it and the 1A? Is there a barrel profile or girth difference? I'm talking current production now, not from decades gone by. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
165 Posts
A 1S is a 1S, current production notwithstanding as far as I know. Slightly heavier, thicker barrel than the 1A. I don't have the dimensions, but I am willing to bet someone here does.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was actually being at the Ruger.com site that caused me to post. Their info is incomplete at best, and their listed weights cannot be relied on (the 1V, for example, is essentially the same listed weight as the A & S despite a longer, heavy barrel).
Appreciate the info. Sure would be nice if someone had bbl dimensions.

·
Registered
325 Posts
1S is a medium sporter usually with heavier calibers, 45-70 mainly. It has a shorter, thicker barrel at 22". 1A is a light sporter usually in calibers like .243, .270, 30-06. It has a thinner, longer barrel at 24". Yes, they do weigh in at about the same, around 7.25lbs. there is no hard and fast rules though when it comes to No. 1's. There are medium sporter 1S's in .218Bee. I believe you could also get .300WinMag in 1A, 1B, 1V and 1S at one time or another. Whatever you find it in matters not. If you like it, buy it. No. 1's have never let me down. I've never sold one and never will.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts