Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first gun was a Winchester single shot 22 with a plunger cock. My great uncle bought it for me when I was 10 and he paid $15 for it at a Western Auto store. My Grandmother issued me my hunting rounds 6 22 shorts at a time. I hunted with an older kid from the next farm over. He had a good squirrel dog and we always came home with meat. My Grandson now owns this gun and hunts squirrels with his father. Needless to say the gun is worth more now than what was paid for it. It's hard to imagine a 10 year old out hunting with another kid by themselves now days. I received my hunting safety lessons from my great uncle and have never forgot those lessons.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have my Great-Grandfather's Winchester 1904 single shot. Dad got it when he was 11 in 1926. Dad just turned 100 last October.
Since those are not serial numbered, I had to narrow down its age. From the markings, it was made between March, 1919 and Great-Grandpa Andrew Jackson Hickman's death (2/11/22).

·
"The Real Deal"
8,041 Posts
I also have a springfield, stevens 22 bolt action thats really old, it was given to me around 10 years old by a family member. It was my first gun after a few daisy lever bb guns, and a few bb pistols. Leanred alot and still enjoy shooting it. At age 12, I got winchester 1300 12 gauge pump to hunt with, and took my first deer with, and occassionally dove, and skeet. I would never let go of either, except to maybe to pass down to my offspring. Great memories/responsibility that alot of youth are never taught these days, what a shame.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can relate to " It's hard to imagine a 10 year old out hunting with another kid by themselves now days".

I started my daughter shooting powder at the age of 11. I did lose custody. I almost lost visitation too.

And yep. It was good clean fun with the proper gear, instruction on safety, and the whole 9 yards. She even learned to break'em down and clean them good too.

Don't tell her mama, but we still have our fun :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
First 20 gauge shotgun when I was 12 (like 59 years ago), both my boys were 12 when they went thru hunter safety class (ugh...28 + years ago).
I really am getting old!:eek:

Also, old guns......I have my dad's Stevens crack-shot .22, he got when he was eight years old..............pop was born in 1908!
Yup, old gun and looks like it, but dang can that old thing shoot!:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
My first rifle was bought for me as a Christmas present when I was 7....Stevens bolt action single shot .22.....I shot that rifle till I wore it out, bagged my first rabbit and squirrel with it.
Way better than Ralphies Red Ryder, [which I also had].

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
First rifle - age 10 - my fathers Winchester Model 67, I still have it.
First shotgun - age 12 - Mossberg bolt action .410 ga., stolen years ago.
First handgun - age 18 - Ruger Security Six, sold...dumb move on my part.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,938 Posts
My first rifle was a Glenfield single-shot .22 that I bought when I was 8 years old. The rifle cost $24.00, but I only had $12.00 saved up. My Dad loaned me the twelve bucks I needed on the condition I pay it back at the rate of .50 cents a week (coincidentally the amount of my weekly allowance). My father also bought a fancier Glenfield that day (chromed bolt and squirrel carving on stock) for his mother to use on her nuisance yard pests. Some scumbag broke into my house in the 90's and stole my first .22, but I still have the one that was my Grandmother's. Every time I pick it up to knock a varmint off the bird-feeder I think of Dad, Grandmother, and that first rifle that stole my heart.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
My first gun was also a Winchester M 67 .22 single shot, got it for Christmas in '49. I still can remember opening the box and the smell. I still have it and shoot it from time to time. I did kill a lot of jackrabbits with it, as they killed our young peach trees.

My 2nd gun was a Mossberg bolt action 20 ga. for my 9th birthday, no box smell as I took the shot gun off the rack at the Sears & Roebuck store in Healdsburg in Northern California.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got my first gun at 10 for my birthday present. When I have a kid that is 10 than I will pass it down to them. I would go with my father hunting and remember getting my first squirrel with it.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
My first rifle was a JC Higgins single shot .22LR when I was 10 years old, I gave it to my favorite great nephew about 1993 when my dad passed away, I got it for Christmas. Man I shot a bunch of squirrels and rabbits, not to mention crows with that little rifle. I believe he still has it, and is about to give it to his son when he becomes of age. Now my first shotgun was a brand new Iver Johnson single shot, shotgun (when I was 11 years old) that I paid $25.00 for, that I had saved up my paper route money to buy. Still have that shotgun and still shoot it now and then.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,041 Posts
My first rifle was a JC Higgins single shot .22LR when I was 10 years old, I gave it to my favorite great nephew about 1993 when my dad passed away, I got it for Christmas. Man I shot a bunch of squirrels and rabbits, not to mention crows with that little rifle. I believe he still has it, and is about to give it to his son when he becomes of age. Now my first shotgun was a brand new Iver Johnson single shot, shotgun (when I was 11 years old) that I paid $25.00 for, that I had saved up my paper route money to buy. Still have that shotgun and still shoot it now and then.
Almost same story with my father, he was 9 or 10 and bought an iver johnson champion single shot 12 from my uncle for $10 or $12, around 1955 I think. He hunted with it for years, still has it, and it still kicks like a mule.:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
12 years old, Sears and Roebuck 410.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts