Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Indiana is now allowing certain rifles for deer hunting, so I bought one. I haven't shot it yet, but boresighted it so it should be on paper when I do get it to the range. Have a cheap $50 Simmons 8 point scope on it until I can swing for a Nikon.

Do I "need" the rifle? No. The furthest shot I've taken out of the last 7 deer I've harvested was 88 yards. But, it'll open up some new longer shot places on the farm I hunt, plus I like shooting?.

Anyhow, 2 questions.

How do most of you sight in the gun for hunting? Was gonna do 2" high at 100 yds, for roughly a 200 yds zero.

What deer hunting ammo does the American "like?" And "don't like?" I want to use 180gr bullets, to have one round for anything I may ever have the opportunity to go hunt. I prefer easily accessible ammo...stuff I can find on shelves anywhere. Was gonna buy a box of Winchester Power Points, Remington Core Lost, Federal Power Shok and Hornady American Whitetail and see what groups best. But, maybe this groups experience can help.

Thx, ben

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
The 30.06 will usually drop them from hydro-shock,

with good shot placement. I go dead-on zero at 100.

With 180 Federals, the first holdover is @ 175 yards,

the second is @270. Other ammo brands perform approximately

the same.

I have an old Ruger M77 with the "canoe-paddle" stock in 30.06. Love it.

It's my go to hunting rifle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have you considered the 165 gr. bullet in your .30-06?? Personally, I don't think you need a 180gr. for those Ohio deer.. The 165 gr. would give you a flatter trajectory, ample energy and most 165 gr. factory loads are very accurate... I use 165 gr. in my .30-06 and have had excellent results..

JMHO

Dave

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
Welcome from New Jersey. Learn and enjoy. I use a laser bore sighter they are inexpensive nowadays ansd i shoot mostly pump rifles so bore sighting is not easy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Educate me. What would the downside be to using 180gr? A little added recoil means nothing to me, as it's still gonna be way less than the 3" magnum 12ga slugs or 150 gr muzzleloader charges I've been using for years. 300 yds is THE longest shot I can conceivably see myself getting. But I'm more likely to get a 50yd shot. I need a better scope to take over 300yd shots, so right now, a little added range isn't that important to me. I figured the 180gr is slower and may expand better at closer ranges. But if 180 does potentially more meat damage, that is reason enough to look at lighter bullets.

Like I said, I've never shot a deer with a rifle. And they'll be Indiana deer; Ohio still doesn't allow bottlenecked cartridged rifles. So, educate me.

Have you considered the 165 gr. bullet in your .30-06?? Personally, I don't think you need a 180gr. for those Ohio deer.. The 165 gr. would give you a flatter trajectory, ample energy and most 165 gr. factory loads are very accurate... I use 165 gr. in my .30-06 and have had excellent results..

JMHO

Dave

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you want 180 then that's what you need to get. I'd go buy a few different types and see which 1 is most consistent for your set up. I think people make it way too complicated and that's normally the people that spend all day at a range trying to shoot a flies *** at 400 yards. Your wanting to make a good clean kill and feed your family. So narrowing down the ammo selection in my opinion is, look for something readily available and in the $1 or so a shot and you be good to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Harvested, haha. Use whatever term you prefer. FWIW, it always apologetic to me. You harvest cattle and kill deer. But in the end I don't care what term other people use.

The 180 gr will kill deer just fine but it might not be best if you do ever attempt a shot at 300 yards a 165 gr boat tail bullet is probably preferred due to the flatter trajectory. One other reason for the 165 gr is simply availability. As it is a very common loading, it is found just about any place that sells rifle ammo. So, if you stick with a common loading from one of the big names and find yourself it need it is easy to get the same loading that you sighted in with. Personally, in my .270 I like the Remington Corelokts in either 130 or 150 gr. My dad uses the 165s in his .06. Neither of us have found a reason to not trust them. They are common and about as affordable as you'll be likely to find.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, keep them coming! I'm really interested in what off the shelf basic ammo you all have found the American rifle to prefer.

The ballistics for that 180g(2.1" high at 100, zero at 200) has it 9" low at 300. Having just a basic reticle on that scope, I think at 300yds(rangefinder confirmed) I can put the cross hairs on the deers back/spine and hit the vitals. Past 300 it's a guess, and I won't take guess shots.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is what my predator .308 and my ranch 300 BLK. They offer them in an 06 as well. They have great expansion. And they are $19-$23 a box. I don't reload and most likely never will. I prefer handing out "dirt naps" to whatever game is in season or in my yard. Keep in mind, although people really get some great accuracy reports from the American line of rifles. They are low end hunting rifles. So don't chase your tail on which ammo will get you sub 1" groups.

Also I recommend any Nikon scope with the BDC reticles. I prefer the 4x12x40 prostaff. I've had good luck with this scope and I have put through a good test over the years

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1473962014.938758.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. Indiana is now allowing certain rifles for deer hunting, so I bought one. I haven't shot it yet, but boresighted it so it should be on paper when I do get it to the range. Have a cheap $50 Simmons 8 point scope on it until I can swing for a Nikon.

Do I "need" the rifle? No. The furthest shot I've taken out of the last 7 deer I've harvested was 88 yards. But, it'll open up some new longer shot places on the farm I hunt, plus I like shooting?.

Anyhow, 2 questions.

How do most of you sight in the gun for hunting? Was gonna do 2" high at 100 yds, for roughly a 200 yds zero.

What deer hunting ammo does the American "like?" And "don't like?" I want to use 180gr bullets, to have one round for anything I may ever have the opportunity to go hunt. I prefer easily accessible ammo...stuff I can find on shelves anywhere. Was gonna buy a box of Winchester Power Points, Remington Core Lost, Federal Power Shok and Hornady American Whitetail and see what groups best. But, maybe this groups experience can help.

Thx, ben
I may be wrong but I don't believe a 30 06 is legal in state of Indiana unless they changed it this year

Sent from my A521L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Original poster said he was getting a Nikon scope eventually. Is Nikon still making scopes? I heard they quit the scope market but would continue with other optics. Maybe the info was wrong, they changed their mind or there are a lot of Nikon scopes still in stock from previous production. Curious to know what is going on with Nikon. I think they had good scopes but the field is pretty crowded.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
221 - In less than a minute I looked up Ind regs and 30-06 is legal on Private land Only. Any over .243.
Ben - I vote for the 165 too. Flatter if you need to go 2-300. That's what I run in my .308 Rem.
Snerdy - Yes, Nikon is going out of scopes. You can get really good deals now. I was told at BP that warranty will replace until stock runs out then go for other Nikon mdse. Want a spotting scope ???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts