Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, went to the range this morning to sight in my American Ranch Rifle in .223/5.56. It has a 16.2" tube, with a 1:8 twist. I was shooting Federal American Eagle .223 Remington (55gr.), and Independence 5.56 NATO. Here are the results:

This is a 17 round group, at 100 yards. The three "flyers" are me adjusting the Bushnell 3-9x40mm Banner scope I put on it. This gun can shoot. The 5.56mm (55gr.) Independence load was what surprised me. It is not expensive ammo, but seemed to shoot to the same point of impact as the Federal .223 did.

I had ordered a second magazine, the 5-round polymer one, to go with the just one that came with the rifle. No matter what the reviews on this magazine are, mine ran just fine for me. No flaws in feeding, and the rifle ejected the spent cases about 3-4 feet, to my right, at about the 4 o'clock position.

The recoil pad worked like it should, but with the .223/5.56mm, I did not expect anything different. I want to purchase a bipod for this rifle, because I think it is accurate enough to warrant one.

All in all, this is a very accurate gun, and function was 100%. I am very pleased with how it made me look good. :)

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
Very nice group!

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
22carbine nice group there, it looks like you have a keeper there looks like Ruger has fixed the .223/5.56 magazine problem as well!!! Thx for your yrs. of service!

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Nice shooting! I am really getting the desire for one of these. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Very fine shooting there sir. Thanks for sharing your experience. Makes me want to run out and buy that rifle but for funds and the wife putting her foot down after a summer of purchasing 3 Ruger handguns.

Not trying to upstage your post but I've been subscribed and following mixup98's YouTube channel and he just did a review of his Ranch rifle purchase.

He's fast becoming my favorite gun YouTuber as they're short videos and he's a heck of a marksman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGZuTbh8wVc

·
Registered
474 Posts
Nice!! I had one about a year ago and let it get away to buy a 45-70...but I am picking up a new one in two weeks. With the right loads they are tack drivers huh??!!

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I know this is an older post, but if you're on the fence about this rifle, go ahead and get it. You won't be sorry. Love mine.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
I know this is an older post, but if you're on the fence about this rifle, go ahead and get it. You won't be sorry. Love mine.
Picked one up a couple of months ago and I love it. Mounted a 4-9x30 scope on it and it is rapidly becoming one of my favorite rifles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts