Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been looking for a 2.5" S&W 686, but after having looked at over 20 of them locally, they all either had a canted barrel or significant scuffs/scratches in the finish. So, I give up on S&W.

I have a 2.25" SP101 & a 3" GP100. So I am thinking a 2.5 " GP100 would be the way to go to have something similar in frame size to the S&W 686 snub nose.

I contacted Gemini Customs and they said they can do a 2.5" GP100. So I am thinking about buying another 3" GP100 and sending it to them so that they can cut it down to 2.5" and add some other custom features that would really make it a stand-out GP100. I think a 2.5" GP100 with their Hybra-Porting, a good polish job, skeletonized trigger guard, and some custom wood grips would create a beautiful looking snub nose revolver.

Before I move forward with this project, has anyone had Gemini Customs do something similar to a GP100?

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
There's a guy around here that did it himself. His name is WaveBore or HiveFort or something. He did a nice job.

Gemini always turns out nice work.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I dunno. The 3" is just perfect to me, but if you want a 2.5", who am I to tell you not to do it? I would point out that if you're chopping it anyway, there's no need to start with a 3". It could be 4" or 6" just as easy and they might be easier to find or found cheaper. Plus you could get an adjustable sight version like Waveform's, but then I'm not sure what the point would be to have AS with a true snubby.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dunno. The 3" is just perfect to me, but if you want a 2.5", who am I to tell you not to do it? I would point out that if you're chopping it anyway, there's no need to start with a 3". It could be 4" or 6" just as easy and they might be easier to find or found cheaper. Plus you could get an adjustable sight version like Waveform's, but then I'm not sure what the point would be to have AS with a true snubby.
Definitely don't want an adjustable sight on a snubby. So far, the 3" has been the cheaper of the barrel lengths at the local stores.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I'll be very interested to follow your progress with this. Having cut a GP100 down as close to the ejector shroud as I felt I could and it still look OK I could only get to 2.6". I was still looking to keep a swept profile from muzzle to shroud however and you could always go with a squared off muzzle. I'm sure Gemini has a few tricks up their sleeve on how to approach this. Their design work is very nice.

If you start with a 3" will it be a fixed sight model without the adjustable rear?

Here's a photo of mine - the barrel length is 2.6". I started with a standard 4" adjustable sight model and cut it back as far as I thought possible. I used the same Weigand Combat front sight base that Gemini uses a lot on their GP100 projects. It takes the S&W DX removable sight inserts.

·
Administrator
22,148 Posts
Waveform:

I imagine the blast out of that short snout is impressive.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I love Waveforms gun:)

There's also nothing wrong with a plain old 3" fixed sight GP100, or a 2 3/4" Speed Six.......unless the 2.5" barrel is extremely important. I have a cosmetically challenged stainless 2 3/4" DAO Speed Six I use as a carry gun, it hides pretty well under just a button down shirt.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Waveform:

I imagine the blast out of that short snout is impressive.
It can be but not as much as the 44 Mag Alaskan! I like big snubbies for some reason and maybe it's the blast, smoke and noise. Of course the 2.25 SP101 in 357 is no slouch either. And you get to feel it more too.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
21/2 inch smith 19s and 66s did not have full length extraction. The 3 inch does. This is why I think a 3 inch gp 100 ruger is a better idea.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be very interested to follow your progress with this. Having cut a GP100 down as close to the ejector shroud as I felt I could and it still look OK I could only get to 2.6". I was still looking to keep a swept profile from muzzle to shroud however and you could always go with a squared off muzzle. I'm sure Gemini has a few tricks up their sleeve on how to approach this. Their design work is very nice.

If you start with a 3" will it be a fixed sight model without the adjustable rear?

Here's a photo of mine - the barrel length is 2.6". I started with a standard 4" adjustable sight model and cut it back as far as I thought possible. I used the same Weigand Combat front sight base that Gemini uses a lot on their GP100 projects. It takes the S&W DX removable sight inserts.

Fine looking work on your GP, Waveform.

I would send Gemini a fixed sight 3" GP.

I just sent Gemini a list of the specific things that I would like to have done so that they can give a price. Definitely want the Hybra-Porting for the 'Cool" factor. This will be more of a collector/display gun than a shooter, although it will probably get at least 50 rounds a year.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Fine looking work on your GP, Waveform.

I would send Gemini a fixed sight 3" GP.

I just sent Gemini a list of the specific things that I would like to have done so that they can give a price. Definitely want the Hybra-Porting for the 'Cool" factor. This will be more of a collector/display gun than a shooter, although it will probably get at least 50 rounds a year.
That sounds really cool. I don't think I've seen a photo of a Gemini GP100 fixed sight version. Whatever they do to it I know it will be drop-dead gorgeous. I'm a huge Gemini fan and try to rip-off as many ideas from them as I can! Maybe someday I'll be able to afford the real deal but for now I have fun with my own efforts.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
If you plan on starting with a 3" adjustable sighted model and want to retain the interchangeable front sight would go with a 4" to allow for cutting the mounting notch for the new sight. I like the idea but in may case thinking of going with a 2.75" bbl as that length on my Speed Six seems to work for me. Only other thing that would perfect the gun would be if Ruger came out with a 7 shot version in .357! Hope they are listening. In fact why don't they just make one in that barrel length.

Seems to me years ago Iowegan did one in 2.5" with an interchangeable barrel in blue as recall the photo he posted.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I have a 3" SP101. I am really happy with the gun. I do not see the point of a large frame with a short barrel. My SP101 is about the same size as my G19. If I bought a GP100 I would want a 6" barrel or longer. It would be a long day just carrying a GP100 frame without a barrel.

It's your money do what makes you happy but a GP100 is a much sturdier gun that a S&W 686. The GP100 cylinder is much thicker and the frame is a lot heavier than a 686. Then you need to do a trigger job on the Gp100. If I am going to go through all that trouble I want a beast that will stop a car. I can tell you right now my SP101 is no car stopper. Well it might stop a Prius with a hoplophobic yuppy driving it.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I'm just waiting for the standard 3" target sight GP100 in .357 to become a regular production gun..........that would truly be a "snub 686 killer" :)

My 1751 is awesome, in .38, and I would never alter it to shoot .357 but it's pretty much a range queen. I do carry it occassionally and feel it would do just fine with some of those Buffalo Bore ".38/44" loads.

However for just a little more weight and bulk I can OWB carry my .44 Kodiak Backpacker loaded with hot Specials, and hide it under a $10 Large Tall "camp shirt"........... I reached the point where if I'm carrying heavy I want to be able to put big holes in things. Just use a security guard duty belt like a Boston Leather, made with stiff leather to hold duty gear, works great. They even have snap buckles so you can put whatever buckle you want on them.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I can tell you right now my SP101 is no car stopper. Well it might stop a Prius with a hoplophobic yuppy driving it.
I've been wanting a 3" SP anyway, but now I REALLY want one! :p

I'm just waiting for the standard 3" target sight GP100 in .357 to become a regular production gun..........that would truly be a "snub 686 killer" :)
Did anybody else notice GoG has the 1708, 3" AS GP100 listed recently?
gp100 1708
Quantity is zero so I'm not sure what that means. Maybe they're going to make a run of them? Is that what you mean by "target sight" model?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
YES! This is exciting, I hope Ruger actually makes enough of them so that we can actually get one, not cranking out 1,000 of them that will be instantly "allocated".

I like fixed sight revolvers and my 3" fixed sight .357 GP100 is the perfect "combat" revolver, but I like the red insert sight and the target sights for range fun. The 1708 would make an excellent utility gun, or a winter carry gun since people can put different sights on it.

That would be it, Ruger made a very small run of these I think back in the 90's, they're worth a mint now. I had been saying for a while, that if Ruger brought the 1708 back they would sell a pile of them. People gobble up those 3" 686's and the older ones go for $1200+. It's time for Ruger to offer the 1708.

Ironically, the 3" .38 1751 sold very slowly, Gallery of Guns had "99+" of these in inventory for over a year, I picked up the 1751 3" and also the 4" .38 GP100 with adjustable sights, both of them shoot lights out. I never got around to getting the fixed sight 4" .38, since I have one in blue it seemed redundant, but I still kinda want one......

There's still a few of the 1751's on GuBroker for $500 brand new, not many people seem to want them, however I love .38 Special GP100's.

The irony is the EXACT same gun in .357 will sell out in an hour, and then when there's no more they will be $1,000 on GunBroker......

On the other hand the availability of the "new run" of 3" Wiley Clapps may keep people from beating down the doors for a 1708.

I would be all over one, if and when a run of the 1708's comes out.........I don't "need" it since I'm perfectly happy with my 1751 but when a new model of GP100 comes out, I want it......

Attachments

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I have a 3" SP101. I am really happy with the gun. I do not see the point of a large frame with a short barrel. My SP101 is about the same size as my G19. If I bought a GP100 I would want a 6" barrel or longer. It would be a long day just carrying a GP100 frame without a barrel.

It's your money do what makes you happy but a GP100 is a much sturdier gun that a S&W 686. The GP100 cylinder is much thicker and the frame is a lot heavier than a 686. Then you need to do a trigger job on the Gp100. If I am going to go through all that trouble I want a beast that will stop a car. I can tell you right now my SP101 is no car stopper. Well it might stop a Prius with a hoplophobic yuppy driving it.

Hey - don't go shootin' at Neon Horse!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
There have been hints at another run of 1708s for about a year and half. Lipsey's was supporting the run and it usually takes a big distributor like Lipsey's/Davidson's/TALO to get anything done like this. Finally! Good news for guys who like short barrels and adjustable sights - like ME!

(I can finally stop making my own. Whew!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts