Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a choice later this month of a RK Gunshows one weekend or a James Bray show the next weekend. Both are about equidistant. I know a lot of you are down on gun shows and it sounds like for good reasons. But I've never been to one so I'm going to one of them. I have to arrange someone to sit with my wife so can't do both.

Anyone have any opinions on which might be a better one to choose?

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
i'd say i'm somewhere in the middle on gun shows. i'm down on them more or less, BUT i've now gone to a few, and i think they're definitely worth experiencing, if only to decide if you like them or not.

now that i'm in a different location i might consider going again. i think at this point my philosophy is if you view going to them as entertainment then you probably won't be disappointed. if you go with a shopping list of stuff you've got your heart set on finding for a great price, then you probably will be disappointed.

additionally, i think if you definitely decide you're going, go to the first one, if for no other reason than, if you either really like it or really dislike it, either way you'll have another one to go to the next weekend if you really want.

i say go and check it out, and have fun.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,333 Posts
We don't have RK and Bray shows here so I can't give my opinion on which one's better.
However, if you've never been to one, it's worth a try. Like argo said, you can view it as entertainment.
One Saturday that I spent on one, I treated it like a trip to the movie theater.
If it's no good, then it's no worse than the price of admission for a bad movie.
Have fun!

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
We don't have RK and Bray shows here so I can't give my opinion on which one's better.
However, if you've never been to one, it's worth a try. Like argo said, you can view it as entertainment.
One Saturday that I spent on one, I treated it like a trip to the movie theater.
If it's no good, then it's no worse than the price of admission for a bad movie.
Have fun!
lol. that's exactly how i think/thought of them-- trip to a movie.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I like that movie idea. The 1st is a bigger venue so I think I'll go to that one. Although a place that's willing to sell 2,000 tables is going to be bad if like 8 guys show up! :D

·
Registered
586 Posts
We have RK gun shows in my neck of the woods and I think they have one of the better shows. The venue they use is typically filled with tables and vendors during their shows.

They do typically get some non-gun tables but if I'm not interested, I walk on by. They also offer $1-$2 discount coupons. I get mine in the mail but you can get them from their website at Welcome to RK Gun Shows

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,333 Posts
We have RK gun shows in my neck of the woods and I think they have one of the better shows. The venue they use is typically filled with tables and vendors during their shows.

They do typically get some non-gun tables but if I'm not interested, I walk on by. They also offer $1-$2 discount coupons. I get mine in the mail but you can get them from their website at Welcome to RK Gun Shows
+1 on the coupons.
Good choice on going to the bigger show.
Due to restrictions in Kalifornia, I can only drool when I see pictures of huge shows in Reno, NV and in other states.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1 on the coupons.
Good choice on going to the bigger show.
Due to restrictions in Kalifornia, I can only drool when I see pictures of huge shows in Reno, NV and in other states.
My brother's in the same boat.

Sigh...

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to the RK gun show today. Had a good time with it. The show was huge. It's a pretty big venue and was just barely not completely full.

With it that busy there wasn't any big sales pressure and I got to pick up and fondle, uh I mean test, some guns I have at least a little interest in. I wasn't overly impressed by their prices. I saw some decent prices but not any that got a wow out of me.

I did pick up a fair amount of ammo at good prices. And, unlike my usual self, had enough sense to mark the ones with the good prices and get it on the way out.

Had a good time and got to get away for a few hours. I won't be the guy that shows up at all of them, but I'll go again.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I used to go to several different gun shows but after the prices went over $8 to get in I quit qoing and then $10 and then $12...I won't ever go to another at this rate.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,333 Posts
I knew you wouldn't be disappointed :) So when's the next show?

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Early December. I'll probably be there.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I love to fondle guns at the gun show, where else ya gonna get to do that? Around here, the prices aren't fixed, you're supposed to haggle, that's why they're a little high.

Around here lately its all Ar15/10 and semi-auto 45s, I never see any single six or security six revolvers ever, saw a three screw 44mag for $900 :(

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hadn't thought about the haggle factor. I wasn't really looking to buy anything since I just took delivery of my newest the day before. I'm sure there's at least a little wiggle room.

·
Banned
963 Posts
The big show here is the National Arms Show which is an RK show. So I would go with the RK. They run radio ads here and they do attract big dealers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts