Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an 870 that had been rode hard and put away wet many times. I got her ofr a song and dance- to some of you that don't know what a song and a dance is I got it cheap. The old boy I got it from is crying the blues now. I took all the wood off of her clered her real good and just let her rest for the better part of a year. Then put an extend mag tube on her and Hogue tammer grip and fore arm on her. Yep she is fit and ready to the call of duty.
Some times at nite things don't go so right for me and I have to get out of the house and walk until I am on inside, Annie goes with me she fits under a lite coat and hangs accross my shoulders I use an old leather belt for now. But I am thinking of getting her something in leather for her. 8 23/4 20 will speak anyone's langage if she needs to do the talking.
Sometime ya have to see beyond what the surface is showing you.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Hey, Snuffy, where'd ya find an extension for 20 ga? I have a Mossberg (Revelation) pump I'd love to extend...haven't found one yet. holds 5 and I've got another 9 on sidesaddle/slip-on cuff...start with 2 slugs and follow with buckshot-one of the few things in life that beats a .45...keeps ya from gettin' lonely at night...paid 99 for the gun and 23 to cut it short and re-bead it...I'm looking for an 870 like it...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I gotta get me a shotgun.

But I'd like to shoot skeet with it too. Get one with an extra barrel, short for home defense and longer for clay targets??

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Kind of like a bonnie and clyde "whipit" setup?
Seen one that had a slot cut into the cut down stock for a leather strap. The strap goes over the shoulder and the gun just hangs under the arm for carry while concealed by a duster. Grap it and just shove forward--pulling the strap tight to steady it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Sad that our Tx. CCW doesn't cover concealed shotguns...they'd be better off getting rid of open carry of shotguns and letting 'em be concealed-long as they were Fed. legal...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well sheepdog she is an older shotgun and a 12 gauage extention fit, I lost the spring extention and ordered one from Md-Way 3 bucks or so.
This one deputy has no wood on it its justmetal and molded rubber from hogue. She is a nice travel companion, although she is only a 20 gauage she can sure ruin someones day. I have had one in 12 gauage and with lite field loads a person could handle it ok. I have found that anything in 20 gauage can be handled just as easy. So I can have slug buck shot and anything else I care to load Annie with.
Now I thought I had the market corned on shooting a legal short barreled shotgun. Wrong, got showed something the other day. Instead of use the forearm to work the action you puck and pull on the pistol grip. I found that I had more shot in the center of the 15 foot traget. And after all guys I want the bad guys to have 2 3 4 pounds of shot slugs and a wadd or two wouldn't hurt me either.
I use Annie for when I travel and have to stay at a motel/ hotel I know they have their security systems and I have mine. I like mine better.
EddieF, that is great that you have ya a shotgun, skeet now there is a sport with will make ya bit your tougne a time or two. Yea they can do double duty like that but I think as time goes on your going to learn to look and see let some of do. And before you know it you got several guns. I picked up Annie for 75 bucks, she was rough too boys but a little T/L/C and she is back in business for sure.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Snuffy
I used to Pheasant hunt alot----killed just as many with a 20 gauge as I did with a 12.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe that jaredshs, I can remeber as a boy the 12 was king and of course what we all had to have but now in later years I can look back folks that were the true hunters and shotguns they carried the 20 gauage. My Dad told me that on the east coast a true sports man use's a 28 gauage have only seen a picture of the shell never have shot on ot held one. But I would think on a long hunt where ya walk all day long they would be kinder to ya that a 12 packing.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
My bird gun growing up was grandad's iver johnson 20 ga single shot. learned to make it count with a single shot.
When Daddy passed, i inherited his "sweet sixteen". been a 16 ga fanatic from then on.
Just for kicks last season, i used a springfield 16 ga single shot for dove hunting. enjoyed carrying such a light and trim gun so much that i'll do'er again this season.
What was old is "new" again.

Snuffy---got to shoot a 28 ga h&r/nef single shot at a few dove. Very sweet! Much better odds of hitting than a .410 and the 28 ga ammo is cheaper than the .410.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
another post on the NRA range bulletin board is a 12ga. Ruger red label. The guy bought it used ten years ago, doesn't know how old it was then but says it's in good shape for $650.

I grew up shooting skeet as a kid with pump shotguns. They are a good value, it seems. And for home defense, someone wrote in another forum how there's just nothing like the sound of a pump shotgun to get yer attention!!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Them skeet birds are way to fast for me!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
bout 5 yrs old, i was sent out with a sack to catch snipes--was told that they tasted like chicken too!
Guess you know how that "hunt" turned out!:)
At least they didn't leave me out in the cotton field all night!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well sheepdog cleaning them is easy but your right they have no taste at all lol.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've hunted pheasants with a 20ga. Youth Remington 870 Express. It's a blast, like using a little carbine. Easy to get in and out of the SUV with. Has the Rem Choke too. It is also a great little "Defender" shotgun to have at home. I love them.

Snuffy, when Remington a few years ago was making a 28ga. in Remington Expresses, I had them in the shop. I also had .410s, and left handed 12 gauges. I have a 16ga. black synthetic Youth 870 in stock now. I pretty much had to stock whatever Wally World did not have. Now Wally World does not have guns anymore in our town. I am thrilled! They hurt us for 15 years...now it is OUR turn. Any Wally World employees need to buy some guns? Come on down!

·
Registered
880 Posts
There just ain't anything quite like a good scattergun...of just about any persuasion. Gives a heckuva secure feelin', regardless of th' bore size!

And...it is indeed fun to "trip back" to a single-shooter from time to time. I do so on occasion n luv' it!!
Wish Ruger would do more in th' shotgun arena....like maybe a SS 20 or 28 on th' number one chassis? Bet it would sell....

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I agree

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Jody Johnson

Wish Ruger would do more in th' shotgun arena....like maybe a SS 20 or 28 on th' number one chassis? Bet it would sell....
or any shotgun without a comma in the price.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Snuffy,
read that you like andrews leather
did you see this shoulder rig on their site?

You are definately right in that they offer some very nice leather for bout' anything. Like that lever saddle horn rig also.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts