Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruger finally called me back, and the upshot of it is, while it's not a dangerous condition and I can continue to use the weapon as is, it'll cost me around $200 to get it fixed, figuring fuel costs to the nearest UPS place, shipping, return shipping, a twenty dollar service charge and $100 or so for parts.[V]:(

Perhaps next time I'll purchase a weapon with a lifetime guarantee!!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
$100 on parts? Describing it to them, what did they say the problem was and what parts were they going to replace?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, as much as I like Ruger, its time for them to step up to the plate and offer a better warranty like S&W. I know it may result in a price increase but if they are not stupid it will be a very small one.

S&W's warranty and service is fantastic.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guy said it could be one of two problems, one with the sear, one with the trigger group, and that parts could be in excess of one hundred dollars.

This does not make me a satisfied Ruger customer. I have already decided against buying a 10/22 I'd planned on over the weekend; I bought a Savage Mk II bolt action .22 instead.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a problem with paying for shipping, or maybe even a twenty dollar service fee, since I did buy the weapon used. But I do believe that since the problem was with their parts, they should pay labor and parts.

Even a company like Hi Point has a lifetime, no questions asked, any owner service guarantee. Why can't Ruger?

I've loved Ruger for years, but I fear that since the Grand Old Man passed, they're going to heck quick.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
did you get this 97 new or used? Had it a while?
i know the 97 was discontinued but i hear stories that a short while back, Gander Mountain(?)was still selling new ones.
I'd be angry as well if this was a new gun with few rds thru it. If Ruger is saying that there are no problems in keeping it as is and shooting it, I'd be inclined to trade it off.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought it used last year; it was made in March 1999, but until now seemed in like new condition.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
OOPS--slow typer and just read your post ahead of mine. Got it used, any chance the previous owner abused the pistol to cause the condition?
I think that Smith warranties a gun to the orginal owner only don't they?
Taurus may be lifetime i think is it also to orginal owner(?) and requires you to pay shipping?
Remington is a absolute pain. Found out the hard way that when they say two year warranty they mean it and if you don't send in warranty card with copy of purchase receipt--tough. And only to orginal owner. Same way with Minolta binos---when the warrany expires, the repair cost is almost as much as the binos if they loose focus.
Not defending ruger as $100 is sticker shock. Since he said --maybe-- it won't cost as much.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Again slow typing on my part
this may also be one reason the 97 was dropped from the line.
But most 97 owners love them!

A lot of companies will also only warranty one to the orginal purchaser--think rossi will warranty forever a revolver regardless of who owns it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know how the problem could've been caused by abuse; how does abuse wear out a sear?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Thinking someone playing gunsmith on the innards possibly. Could a cocked gun getting dropped on the hammer damage the sear? I've also read (and used) a technique on blackhawks and a marlin 336 to improve trigger pull.(called poor boy trigger job at gunblast.com) Been told this will damage an auto--maybe someone tried it? Never tried it on an auto but this simple thing alters the sear easily. All in all, i ain't a gunsmith, just have the wheels turning.
Maybe a post in the gunsmith section might help.

Read something from coffee pot however that said something about some of these getting out with bad parts. If this is the case, i'd sure tell ruger a thing or two if they try to charge a $100 because of bad parts.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,956 Posts
Something sounds fishy here. I've never seen Ruger charge for parts unless they were worn out (normal wear and tear is not a warantee issue) or unless Bubba got in there with a Dremmel.

deputy125, The procedure you reffered to is called "boosting". It's a gunsmith's nightmare. More guns are screwed up by boosting than any other technique. Not only would I not recommend it, I would highly discourage it. Sears and sear notches don't like being forced. It will round the supposed-to-be sharp edges and sometimes even break the parts.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Well, as said "i ain't no gunsmith". Appreciate the warning. Guess i got lucky and didn't over-do it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
What was the original reason you sent it to Ruger? I maybe a little behind here is why I ask.

My Ruger did not cost me what you say that repair will.

tk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't sent it to Ruger yet; the tech guy from Ruger returned my call and quoted me those prices over the telephone.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
quote:Originally posted by Whirlwind06

That is a lot of money!
I was thinking of buying a P90. Having second thoughts now.
In fairness to Ruger, I must point out that, had I been the original owner of the gun, they'd've fixed it for free, not counting shipping. Had it been a relatively new gun, they'd've even paid for shipping.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
quote:Originally posted by bestseller92

quote:Originally posted by Whirlwind06

That is a lot of money!
I was thinking of buying a P90. Having second thoughts now.
In fairness to Ruger, I must point out that, had I been the original owner of the gun, they'd've fixed it for free, not counting shipping. Had it been a relatively new gun, they'd've even paid for shipping.

Now that sounds like the Ruger Company that i know.

Regarding the p90--that is a different animal from the 97. the 90 has been in production longer and is still in production. Don't believe anything to fear there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
quote:The guy said it could be one of two problems, one with the sear, one with the trigger group, and that parts could be in excess of one hundred dollars.
COFFEE POT mentioned the sear issue in your original thread. Did you ask the service tech what year they changed the sear to eliminate this problem? It seems to me, If the sear was a known issue, Ruger should do the upgrade for free, IMO. I have a P97 made in 2004. Never had a problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts