Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never had any accuracy problems, but, better safe than sorry.
I've been noticing heavier than normal copper fouling recently. After cleaning, I decided to use a bore light to look at the rifling. Well...about 1" forward of the forcing cone I saw 2 divots/voids in the rifling at about 8 o'clock position. Then I looked at the muzzle. About 1/4" before the muzzle is a fine ring of dots (like pin pricks).
One email to Ruger, and she's on her way back. Wow! That's what I call service. I mean, it's an older revolver (2009 manufacture). I'll update with any info I receive.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The problem here is that you cannot see much by looking down a barrel with a bore light. The condition of the barrel depends upon what kind of ammo is used, assuming that it was made correctly in the first place. The rifling process can be done inexpensively also which creates a "torn" look to the metal. Most people do not own a bore scope and even if they did they might not know what to look for. It will be interesting to see what the factory says - most owners do not send in their guns for a rebarrel that's for certain.

Eor

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a first for me. In 40 years of owing Rugers, I've never needed a replacement barrel. In fact, I've only had to have Ruger repair a double action trigger mechanism. I'm sure Ruger make it right. The voids/divots are visible with a bore light. Not torn or sheared rifiling. More like casting imperfectctions in some 1911 frames I've seen. Maybe not life threatening, but definitely shouldn't be in the barrel. The ring near the muzzle is puzzling as well. It looks like a continuous ring of pin pricks in the rifling collecting copper fouling.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update 1 October 2015

I emailed Ruger yesterday asking for a status update since they've had my GP 100 for 2, weeks. Got a reply first thing this morning. My revolver has a new barrel and is heading for refinishing. I should receive it soon. I'll post the full repair report when I receive my revolver. This kind of Customer Service is why I buy Rugers. Outstanding value, fabulous after sale support. I've owned Ruger products for 40 years and this is the only gun I've had to return for repair. Rugers are I recommend to new shooters.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I emailed Ruger yesterday asking for a status update since they've had my GP 100 for 2, weeks. Got a reply first thing this morning. My revolver has a new barrel and is heading for refinishing. I should receive it soon. I'll post the full repair report when I receive my revolver. This kind of Customer Service is why I buy Rugers. Outstanding value, fabulous after sale support. I've owned Ruger products for 40 years and this is the only gun I've had to return for repair. Rugers are I recommend to new shooters.
+1
Ruger Customer Service is outstanding. :cool:
They don't care how long you've owned the gun, or even if you were the original purchaser.
They just fix it if it's a mfg or quality issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts