Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just called out “get the snake gun!” The GP100 killed another copperhead, the fourth I have shot this year.

I figure it was the lack of an April freeze in our part of Virginia. That culls a lot of early emerging “crawlies.” I have seen the usual number of rat snakes and black racers, good mousers we do not kill.

But Copperheads by the House, despite keeping the grass short? Nope.

Others in the Midatlantic seeing more than usual this summer?

·
One Star
9,629 Posts
I hate all snakes I hate looking at them in books.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Next door, south of Virginia in Tennessee I haven't seen sign of the first snake. usually a few get run over on the road, anyway.
Not one sing of a snake. along cool/cold wet fall, winter and spring.
They say such conditions causes viruses bacteria and molds or other things to kill them in their dens, mostly. We do not have Water Moccasins, here between the to mountain ranges from VA into northern Al and northern Ga because of this weather, and very few Rattlesnakes but a few more Copperheads but not this year.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I’ve only seen one copperhead while weed whacking so far...I tried to kill it but it got into thicker weeds. So far there’s been less snakes this year here in western North Carolina, but before it gets cold out there usually out in numbers.

I have some large rocks on the mountain where they live in #’s.

Did you use rat shot to shoot yours? I have some 9mm rat shot ready for my Glock and PCC and bird shot for the 12 gauge.

Today I will weed whack and snake hunt the electric fence line.

I did see a black bear on the outside of my electric fence around my vineyard before dark...and farther down the driveway some bacon....

Attachments

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you use rat shot to shoot yours? I have some 9mm rat shot ready for my Glock and PCC and bird shot for the 12 gauge.

Today I will weed whack and snake hunt the electric fence line.

I did see a black bear on the outside of my electric fence around my vineyard before dark...and farther down the driveway some bacon....
Happy bacon!

I used CCI snake shot. I am working up a handload of #9 shot in .38 cases, because the CCI rounds suffer in short barrel revolvers, even my Kimber .357, which is what I carry on tractor or in the garden.

The plastic capsules creep out and lock up the gun after a shot. Not an issue in the GP100. One shot does the job, but I always follow with a second unless it is the 12 gauge...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Seen more garter snakes than normal so far this year in my part of VA. Like you--I leave them alone. I have had copperheads in the backyard before but I haven't seen anything yet this year.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My wife and I do a fair amount of hiking in the Hampton Roads area. Our count of snakes this year is 17. A couple in areas where we would not normally expect to see them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts