• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,531 Posts
Very tuff decision. But after looking at the 2020 I voted for the 2020. Love both and would be happy to have any vette. Just love the vette all around but the 2020 just looks amazing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I will absolutely take the 83, since that was the transitional year they moved manufacturing from St. Louis to Bowling Green. I think the only one is in the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green. Now, if the choice was a 63 / 20, I would opt for the '63. I do have an 06.

WR

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will absolutely take the 83, since that was the transitional year they moved manufacturing from St. Louis to Bowling Green. I think the only one is in the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green. Now, if the choice was a 63 / 20, I would opt for the '63. I do have an 06.

WR
Most assuredly the 63 rear split window ... mega dollars though

·
Registered
761 Posts
I had a C6. Loved the look if that series. I'd take the 2020, no question, as the 1983 had no performance or handling ability. It had ill fitting body panels and it creaked over any minor road disturbance.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,715 Posts
If you had your choice, which one would you buy?
The only Corvettes I like are the C2s. I am more a Porsche, Triumph, or Japanese roadster sort.

Miata means “Miata is always the answer,” and I drive one in a spirited manner. Best British car ever :D I will buy another one with the turbo, eventually. They are cheap, I can do most of my own work, and they are a hoot to drive.

That said any 83 is likely to be a fake, true? There is only one prototype in the National Corvette museum.
2020 is cool looking, but no stick. If I had to buy a Vette, make it a light metallic blue 67 Convertible, with a 427 and a four speed.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Most assuredly the 63 rear split window ... mega dollars though
Richard, my shootin bud (66) had a 63 split when he was young, even won a trophy. Like a knucklehead he sold it and bought a 70 Nova SS, sold it blah,blah, blah. I asked him if he wished he still had the Vette, his response was I’d settle for still having the Nova.

To help you better understand him.....he’s owned more guns than I have, but I own my guns than he’s does. He one to never be happy with something........

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
To be honest I wouldn't want either. Give me a good old 4x4 pickup any day of the week over one of those. If you let me pick the racecourse I could beat either of those cars with that pickup any day of the week.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Well, I had a new '04 for about a year and totally loved it. Butttttttttt, it had the same shortcomings of every single Vette since 1953. It was just too doggone low for normal driving. I was living in Oklahoma and working in Arkansas so I did a lot of commuting. The Arkansas roads are just as bad as our Oklahoma roads once you leave the Interstates and main State-maintained roads. And that is what I drove most of the time. And then when I was assigned to a hospital in Georgetown, Ohio for six months, I saw a whole lot of Interstates and good State-maintained roads and some that would rival Arkansas and Oklahoma. Too many potholes, rutted asphalt roads and funky Cincinnati area highways that had very unusual surface patterns. Low ground clearance and super wide tires just did not go together. Too many low curbs, too many steep driveways into businesses and too much crap in the road that could not be avoided and hit the under body and oil pan and front bumper made me live in constant fear of tearing a very nice vehicle to pieces. After I got back to Oklahoma from Ohio in 2005, I traded my Vette in on another truck. I hated it but I did not want to continue to not want to drive the Vette because I was too worried about messing it up. So, if I were you, I'd look around and find a nice low mileage Chevrolet SS and enjoy it.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK ... i'm coming clean, 1982 was the last year for the maco shark front end (large humps on the fenders) because Chevrolet was bringing out a new design for 1983. A
more flat front end amongst the design changes. As the story goes (depending on which version you believe) they had trouble passing mustard with the new design and it wasn't ready for 1983. So they pushed it back to 1984 as the release year for the new design. There was only a handful of 1983's made for testing and so on. There is only (1) that I am aware of that exists, it sits in the vette museum in Bowling Green Kentucky. The other story that I was told was this, that the 1983 passed all of it's safety test so early on that Chevrolet held the design back to make the demand two fold in 1984. I believe the first story but then again YMMV. I was just having some fun with you guys, that's what happens on a slow boring day. This picture is of a 1982 Collectors Edition that was made in a limited run to honor the Maco Shark front end body style. Only 6,759 of this model were produced. It is a real joy to drive.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Richard, my shootin bud (66) had a 63 split when he was young, even won a trophy. Like a knucklehead he sold it and bought a 70 Nova SS, sold it blah,blah, blah. I asked him if he wished he still had the Vette, his response was I’d settle for still having the Nova.

To help you better understand him.....he’s owned more guns than I have, but I own my guns than he’s does. He one to never be happy with something........
Mark ... I have seen 1963 split rear window vettes go for north of 100K. Way out of my budget ...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I was not all that fond of the '83. The older Stingrays? Sure. Even the latest Stingray.

The new "Vette" is a good looking car, but in my book is not really a Vette anymore. They should have renamed it.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Mark ... I have seen 1963 split rear window vettes go for north of 100K. Way out of my budget ...
I know it's crazy.......You know I'm a fan of the Z-28, the 69 was the reason I got mine, plus I knew a guy who had one growing up. That thing was hell on wheels with the 302, 4 speed and .411's it had in it. I considered buying a 69 but Jackman and Mecum drove the price through the roof.......I've seen them go a buck and a quarter. I saw a 70 Cuda, convertible with a Hemi, maybe a 4 speed, (IIRR) bring 2 mill...........apparently they only made 1200 of them. I'm not sure if I can fact check that, but I think that was the price at auction.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.