Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of 218 brass runs being made? Would like to get about 100 more for replacements when I lose some. Have about 550 or so now.

Thanks

·
Registered
673 Posts
Anyone know of 218 brass runs being made? Would like to get about 100 more for replacements when I lose some. Have about 550 or so now.

Thanks
I say you better make those 550 pieces of brass last. I sold my Martini Cadet in 218 Bee for several reasons. One was hard to find expensive brass. I switched to 222 Rem as a replacement for 218 Bee. Here is some 218 Bee brass on GB if you want to bid on it: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=526406897

It's a shame really, I liked the Cadet very much. Recently I bought a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 204 Ruger. I found loaded Fiocchi ammo for that rifle at Midway cheaper ($.70 a round) than I have seen 218 Bee brass for years. I bought 150 rounds of the Fiocchi 204 Ruger ammo and will reload the brass, once I have shot it all.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Rushmore, welcome.

I also have a #1 in 218 Bee, I only neck size after the initial FL sizing and trim only 0.001" less than maximum case length to extend the case life. Hopefully someone will start making this brass before we run out.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I have a #1 in 218 Bee, also. They are great shooters. It's gotten hard to find the hardware though.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I remember looking for 218 Bee brass a few years ago; my uncle has a lever-action rifle in that caliber. Even then, it was difficult to find; I ended up making some from .32-20 brass. RCBS makes a case-forming die to convert .32-20 to 218 Bee, but it's pretty expensive.

I've also read that you can make the cases from .25-20 brass, but that is another cartridge that is getting hard to find. Starline makes .32-20 brass, so that it a possible route.

Jim

·
Registered
673 Posts
here is another listing:
100 pieces NEW 218 Bee Brass - Winchester NO RES! : Reloading Supplies at GunBroker.com

Along with the GB listing I posted in my previous reply, this makes three offerings. I just find it depressing to have to bid over a dollar each for small bore centerfire brass. The fact that I found extremely accurate loaded 204 ammunition at Midway for 70 cents a round says 218 Bee has become uneconomical to load for.

As I said, that is too bad. 218 Bee is at least as accurate as 22 Hornet. Also, 218 Bee brass is much sturdier than 22 Hornet brass, so there is less chance of damaging 218 Bee brass while loading.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ventura Munitions has HSM 40 gr V-max. for $53 w/ $12.50 shipping. Tempted, but the other batch of HSM I lost about 1/3 of the cases fire-forming to Mashburn. have a couple bids on Gunbroker for new brass, think I'll go that route.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, went with the HSM. figured I can pull the bullets and powder and re-use them after I fire-form the cases. Maybe even anneal the cases. figure this is still cheaper then getting brass. still have the bids in on Gunbroker, if I get them it's bonus I guess.

·
Registered
673 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
For my #1 218 Bee I've been necking down some R-P 25.20 brass in a 218 FL die, loading it, and then fire forming to finish it off. Necks end up a little shorter, but they seems superior to the original Winchester brand 218 brass which has never impressed me with quality. :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I'm following 25-20 brass on Gunbroker also. Should be easier to make into the Mashburn then the regular 218? The only concern I have is the Mashburn already has a shorter neck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would like to try forming 32-20 Starline brass directly into 218 Mashburn Bee. What do you guys think? To me it wouldn't make sense to get some that was made into 218 bee only to fireform it into Mashburn Bee. Seems like a lot of stress on the case. If I resize directly, the Mashburn has a shorter neck and sharper shoulder. Been following 218 Bee and 25-20 on Gunbroker and it seems to be getting out of hand what even once fired cases are going for...

Thanks,
Trent

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is resurrecting an old thread i realize but earlier this year i found that Midway
had Hornady .218 new brass and loaded ammunition also from Hornady at quite
decent prices that just now I forget but will check my check register for details and
will post those once I do, this is in early November 2020 so others can date this.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I bought some Hornady 218 Bee brass, found it to be good and glad I found it. It stands up well, I shoot it in my Ruger 1S 218 Bee and hope to keep doing so.
FM

1 - 20 of 20 Posts