Ruger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last week i purchased a ruger mark iii 22/45. the all black version that has the integrated grips and not the removable ones. im thinking that sooner or later once i get to shooting it i will want a different grip feel. i have seen people grind down the integrated grips and then drill holes to put 1911 grips on.

i am looking for some more information. for those that have done it would you recommend doing so or advise against it and if so why? what 1911 grips will fit on this frame? does it cause any issues with how the gun functions? and also a detailed step by step of how to do this exactly.

thanks for any advice and/or help.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't believe any 1911 grips will fit the Ruger MKIII 22/45 without modification?
I'm sure that different MKIII grips are out there.
I like the feel of the rubber grips. I also like the fancy wood on other Mark's.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
You would mean the 10107 (below).
I had the 10110 and considered the same.
Couldn't find grip panels I wanted without doing a heap of work.
Went out and added the 10140 to the collection.
If you do go ahead with it, all full size 1911 grip panels will fit with some minor modification.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you do a search on You Tube, there are a lot of videos on how to do this. I haven't had the guts to do it yet, but maybe someday...

·
Registered
31 Posts
This company has grips that mount over the existings ones with minimal modification. I do not have them nor have I held a gun that had them installed so I can't vouch for how they feel. Just anyother option for consideration.

Custom Grips

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
4,039 Posts

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I sent my lower to Kingshouse. He is on the RimefireCentral forum. I purchased 1911 VZ grips and sent the lower and the grips to him. He also did a trigger job. The grips made the lower thicker for my big hand to hold.
He is the guy mentioned in post #6.
I was going to send my 10110 to him from Australia, but it turned into a problem where it might have been caught up by customs on the return journey.
I remember yours turning out well.
I ended up buying the 10140, still have the 10110 though.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
He is the guy mentioned in post #6.
I was going to send my 10110 to him from Australia, but it turned into a problem where it might have been caught up by customs on the return journey.
I remember yours turning out well.
I ended up buying the 10140, still have the 10110 though.
Yes you're correct. I didn't bother to click the link. I guess that must be the one negative about living in Austrailia - customs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New to the 22/45, and like a few others I have a 10107 model on the way. Didn't think so much about changing grips. Just to be clear (since I'm a general newb to shooting) are there any slip on/sleeve style grips that would work on this model? I know it would have to come off to break it down but I guess that's part of it now. BTW, this looks like the place to find good info. I'm already planning on the slingshot and clip release changes.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Mr Tam,

Hogue makes one, I own it, it's a slip on universal you can trim to fit if needed.

DR

·
Registered
26 Posts
You could just purchase a lower frame that has removable grips. IE; the 22/45 Lite lower frame. They're under $40.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts