Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly new 22/45 LITE and i remember hearing someone say something about "do not use cci stingers" in the LITE. True or false?

DR

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Personally, I never got the whole allure of the Stingers. Even for hunting, if you make your shot count, the standard hollow points will do just fine at a lower cost per shot.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mish, the way i understand it, or maybe its just me, but stingers would fall under hi velocity made in usa rounds? They would be ok the way it reads to me....i have them for rifles and was just wondering.

DR

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I just read that referenced page 14 and it does not specifically restrict the use of 22lr stingers. It does say not to use 22 long or short rounds, they are shorter than long rifle. The "other" rounds would include actual magnum rounds. Some people confuse the cci mini mags as magnums. They are not, they are a high velocity long rifle round. So you are safe shooting them. The page does say that Ruger does not recommend using the shot shell rounds.

As noted below by gmsoapy I shall eat a little crow.
Apparently Ruger does restrict the use of Hyper Velocity in the Mark II and III pistols.
But they don't clearly state that in the manual on page 14. It apparently falls under the vague other type .22 cartridge.
I think it would help if they stated the maximum velocity allowed for each pistol. Ammunition manufacturers naming of rounds would be too hard for Ruger to keep updated.
Crow is tasty when properly marinated.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
This is what I got from Ruger on the use of stingers
Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 04/26/2012
Request No: 137753

Comment / question:

The use of CCI stingers in SR22's and MKIII target pistols. Are they safe to use in these guns and is the use of these recommended by Ruger for ocassional use
Thank you
Great products. The craftmanship on my SR1911 is first class. Beats my kimber.

Response:
You can use the CCI Stingers in your SR22 pistol.

Do Not use CCI Stingers in your Mark III pistol. The MKIII pistol is chambered only for the .22 caliber Long Rifle cartridge, standard velocity or high velocity, manufactured to U.S. Industry Standards. CCI Stingers are hyper-velocity, over 1300 fps.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms

I just checked Rugers web site and the manual for the lite is the same as all other MK's. So I believe the above applies to your lite.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
This is what I got from Ruger on the use of stingers
Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 04/26/2012
Request No: 137753

Comment / question:

The use of CCI stingers in SR22's and MKIII target pistols. Are they safe to use in these guns and is the use of these recommended by Ruger for ocassional use
Thank you
Great products. The craftmanship on my SR1911 is first class. Beats my kimber.

Response:
You can use the CCI Stingers in your SR22 pistol.

Do Not use CCI Stingers in your Mark III pistol. The MKIII pistol is chambered only for the .22 caliber Long Rifle cartridge, standard velocity or high velocity, manufactured to U.S. Industry Standards. CCI Stingers are hyper-velocity, over 1300 fps.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms

I just checked Rugers web site and the manual for the lite is the same as all other MK's. So I believe the above applies to your lite.
Good job gmsoapy, I stand corrected. I thought stingers were just high velocity. But the manual should be more specific and state that Hyper Velocity is restricted. Not just leave it as other. Damn I keep learning something new everyday.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Good job gmsoapy, I stand corrected. I thought stingers were just high velocity. But the manual should be more specific and state that Hyper Velocity is restricted. Not just leave it as other. Damn I keep learning something new everyday.
Hi Seabee.
I agree I also think the manual should be clearer on this issue. I thought ithe reason they shouldn't be used was the 1/10" longer casing on the Stingers . But it appears it the hyper velocity that's the issue.
I always said the day you don't learn something is the day you don't get up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stingers

Thanks for the info on Stingers in the 22/45 Lite. I purchased some recently because that was all I could get at the time. Will have to use them in revolver or get a .22 rifle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I shoot 10 rounds with my 22/45 lite couple a weeks ago and about 100 stingers or more in the MK III for the past 3 years with no problems.Did not know about hiper velocity rounds is not ok for my rugers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts