Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Buying a 22/45 Lite this week and had some questions that I hope the forum members can answer.
I've had a Mark II for 20 years, and I know the big difference ammo makes (mine prefers CCI). Buying the Lite for target shooting only, and to help the kids learn pistol shooting.

1. Can folks save me some T&E time of trying all the .22 ammo out there and give me ideas of what may shoot the best out of the Lite?

2. Any thoughts on upgrading the trigger, etc? Is that Vol upgrade package I see on Amazon worth it?

3. Holster suggestions for the pistol with an optic?

Thank you ahead of time to y'all that have spent time researching this stuff, your insight is appreciated. Bob

·
Registered
104 Posts
I can only speak for what my 22/45 liked best when new, which was high velocity 40 grain round nose, with copper coated bullets (CCI mini-mags, Aguila Super Extra, Remington Goldens). After many rounds, it now also shoots CCI SV 40 grain round nose. Since mine likes these, I seldom shoot other ammo in it.

On the trigger I replaced the sear with a VQ sear which vastly improved the trigger. I also went with a TK flat trigger.

Sorry, can't help you with holster suggestions.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I shoot in indoor matches on a regular basis. The range runs a division for .22LR and I use a 22/45 Lite. (Switched from a Ruger Mark II Standard.) The scoring system is 50 shots for a possible 500 points. I've had several 500 rounds. I've shot about 10,000 rounds with it and have tried just about ever brand of .22 ammo out there.

I've had the most success with 40 grain, copper plated either round nose and hollow point. CCI mini mags work great, but so do some cheaper ammo like Federal bulk pack and Remington Golden Bullets. My gun also runs great with Remington Thunderbolts, but I have to make sure I clean it well after ever practice round or match.

I did do a sear upgrade and polished everything...trigger pull is now at 3lbs.

I can't help with a holster...I don't use any optic (even though it came with a mini red dot) and don't use a holster with it.

I think you're going to enjoy the 22/45 Lite. What color are you getting? Mine is the original gold.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My 22/45 LITE shoots pretty much whatever I put in it. As for triggers, I just installed a tandemkross victory trigger, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. If I think it needs more I'll drop in a Volquartson sear and hammer.

No idea on the holster.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GReat intel!! Thank you. Sounds like most have same experience with ammo. I'm going with the cobalt blue one. The thing will look like a space gun, ha. Something different than the old black.
Another question: Is there any discernable difference adding a compensator (not a suppressor) on the muzzle? Didn't know how that changes the balance, given the light weight of the pistol.
Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I too found the VQ sear to be the biggest gain in sweetening my trigger pull. From what I have heard the full kit is fine but aside from the sear there is little performance added for the additional cost. Adding an adjustable trigger to the mix does help in making for a smooth consistent release and a quick reset. Like the others here I chose the flat faced Victory textured trigger. Your tastes may very. Replace the hammer bushing to delete the mag safety... also makes it easier to disassemble for cleaning. There are several manufacturers out there. There are several reviews but there is little evidence that more cost doesn't necessarily translate into a better bushing. IMHO, others will take issue with that statement.
Ammo during break in ... HV is essential ... after break in most find that standard velocity runs fine. I used CCI Mini Mags during break in when I could find them. For the most part I am shooting Federal Automatch at this time. My 22/45 likes this ammo and I have been lucky enough to be able to purchase it on a regular basis. SV shoots to a different point of aim so I rarely go for them. SV is also more difficult to find in my area for some reason.
Holsters with optics ... Tandemkross has two models that they carry. You may have to wait a bit because they fly out of there when they get a batch of them in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Another question: Is there any discernable difference adding a compensator (not a suppressor) on the muzzle? Didn't know how that changes the balance, given the light weight of the pistol.
Thanks!

I sometimes shoot steel challenge matches, and I added a TK Game Changer compensator to my 22/45.

For me it did reduce muzzle rise making following shots faster and I think slightly more accurate. The change in weight/balance was not noticeable for me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
GReat intel!! Thank you. Sounds like most have same experience with ammo. I'm going with the cobalt blue one. The thing will look like a space gun, ha. Something different than the old black.
Thanks!
I purchased a compensator from MaddMacs Precision Tactical. I liked the added weight out front but truthfully found no advantage to using it other than shooting off bags. I was able to get a smooth flow shooting quickly without the comp off hand. For me my Lite moved more quickly from target to target without it. The comp as cool as it is, sits in a plastic baggy in my range bag.
Oh and it is a pain to clean....

·
Registered
651 Posts
My 22/45 Lite shoots just about anything I feed it including standard velocity ammo. Since the break in it has been flawless. Really like this pistol that now has close to 2000 rounds through it. Fun to shoot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts