Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the down hill side of 60 years old and just purchased my first gun. I decided to start out with a 22lr pistol and purchased a 22/45 lite (3906). My step son owns land and has his own private shooting range close by, so I can get a lot of range time.

I took it out over a month ago with 250 rounds of CCI mini-mags, HP. I shot 90 some rounds before having a stove pipe jam, the out going round was stuck behind the in coming round in a stove pipe manor. Then I had another one at 130ish. Finished out the with no more issues. Cleaned gun when I got home using ballistol.

I took it out about a week later with another 250 rounds, using a mix of CCI mm hp, and CCI Standard Velocity, using both magazines, and things got worse, 10 or so stove pipe jams. so that is 12 jams in 500 rounds.

Researched this problems and saw that people are rounding off corners of magazines and installing a volquartsen extractor. A buddy of mine loaned me some mags with rounded corners and I installed a volquartsen extractor.

Shot another 350 rounds with mods, it jammed 4 times.

So I sent it back to Ruger and got it back in 11 days with the following repair sheet.

Items Replaced: Sear
Items Repaired: Ejector Rivet, Grip Frame, (2) Magazines.
During the service of your firearm, the service technician replaced certain parts in your firearm as part of a rolling change service update.
After repair, pistol was function fired 40 rounds of win super x 40gr. without malfunction.

Why would they replace Sear??

Anyway, I was excited it might be fixed, and as an unexpected benefit, the magazines now click in like any other gun, no pushing/wiggling the back bottom side of the mag to get it to click in.

But, when I took the gun out to shoot, the 3rd shot stove piped and jammed. After shooting another 200 rounds, several more jams, the gun was no better.

So I sent it back to ruger (all this on their dime), got it back in 9 days with the following repair sheet.

Items Replaced: Bolt Assembly
Items repaired: Mainspring housing assembly.
After repair, pistol was function fired 50 rounds of CCI Mini Mag 40gr CPRN, 20 rounds of win super x 40gr and 50 rounds of cci standard velocity 40gr. without malfunction.

I noticed the extractor looked different, it had a hazy purple tint to it?

Back out to the range, shot 100 CCI MM HP, no jams!! Shot another 50 CCI SV, I had 1 Failure to feed, never had one of those, but 1 malfunction in 150 rounds is better.

Went out to the range a week later with 300 rounds of CCI SV. I had 1 fte at round 130ish, not a jam, but hanging out the ejection port by the rim, and 1 FTE with a jam at 150ish, next 150 rounds, no problems. Much better but, 3 malfunctions in 450 rounds. Should I expect better? Should I send it back to Ruger again.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wouldn't have sent it back the first time. The last time I shot my 22/45 lite, I had three malfunctions in 50 rounds. I was shooting old federal bulk though. Maybe my expectations are a bit low when it comes to my rimfire pistols. But I don't really worry too much since it isn't a weapon I would use for self defense.

·
Registered
429 Posts
it is too soon for you to use SV in that gun.
shoot a full brick of HV to loosen it up.
that's what i did n now i shoot SV exclusively as groups are much better.
if you buy bulk ammo, you'll have problems no matter what you do.

·
Registered
124 Posts
They probably replaced the sear because, as you note, "technician replaced some parts as part of a rolling update"....

Most of your problems are from the ammo, not the gun. I don't think I have ever had a trip to the range, shooting ~200 at a time, without a few bad rounds. What surprises me is occasionally the puff rounds actually eject properly....

Don't send it back to Ruger, if anything send the ammo back to CCI but they'd probably laugh at you

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know how much value this will have, as I bought my MK II used and I have no idea how many rounds may have gone through it before I got it last year. Last weekend, I took my boys out to fire a "real" pistol for the first time, and I experimented with some CCI Quiet-22 ammo. Partly to keep the noise down for their sake (even with hearing protection), and partly because it's the only stuff on the shelf with any regularity around here.

With a short test of only one clip per boy, the Quiets functioned perfectly. No errors of any kind in 20 shots, and the shells all ejected 5+ feet away. I was surprised, expecting some sort of error on every low-powered shot, but was happily disappointed. I would wager that your 22/45 could also get happy with these light loads after a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I finally got some more mini mags, ran 300 thru it, no problems. Talked to the Ruger gunsmith that worked on my gun, and he said that CCI SV may have some issues in this gun, they recommend HV, but as the gun breaks in the SV should work better. So I think the gun is good to go. I am a happy camper. Great support from Ruger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts