Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to put this in Ammo Dump, but it is really about the pistol an not the ammo. I went back to my range today with different brands of 22 rimfire and a couple of different guns. I took my 22/45 Lite and a Taurus revolver. The ammo I had was Winchester bulk hollow point, Remington bulk Hollow point and Federal AutoMatch solids. :)
The first issue was failure to extract or eject. :( Sometimes the bolt would close back on the empty brass and sometimes the empty would be sideways. It always happened with the first 2 or 3 rounds in the magazine. OK. I understand that. When the slide/bolt goes back when a round fires the bottom of the slide/bolt drags on the top round in the magazine. A full magazine means more drag. If it didn't drag I do not think it would push the next round into the chamber. I have noticed on this forum that several people have noted that problems normally occur more often with the top 2 or 3 rounds in a mag. That problem I understand. The Remingtons did not have any problem. The WW and Fed had that problem. :)
Now to what I do not understand. :confused: I had several failure to fire (FTF) with the Winchester. I can just mark that up to cheap made low quality ammo. Right? When I say several, I mean usually 1 per 10 round magazine. However, what I did not have was one single FTF with the Taurus 94B5 nine shot revolver. :D Not one fail to fire and I shot more through it than the 22/45 Lite. And I didn't have any Failure to eject. ;)
Why will the Ruger automatic fail to fire the WW 22LR when the cheaper Taurus revolver never fails to fire them? :confused: In truth my SR22 will not have quite as many FTF as the Lite.
I guess I am not looking for any answers or theories or opinions, my gripe is why can't a 22 auto be designed so that it will fire as reliably as a revolver? Or is the main problem just my Lite? No, my MKIII Hunter also has FTF's with Winchester and Federal ammo. :eek:

I guess I could ask, does anybody else find that their rimfire revolver works more reliably than their Auto?

·
Registered
99 Posts
One thing... I was amazed when I took my LITE apart to do a deep cleaning at all the factory goo that was jammed into the tiny crevices of my pistol. I had also had FTfire and FTextract issues prior to deep cleaning. When I took out the firing pin the rebound spring was full of grease. I think this actually slowed the firing pin down especially when the temps were low. My extractor had a good amount of grease in the extractor spring too. This grease from the factory was thick and sticky. Take yours apart and clean it thoroughly. Oil it lightly and put it back together. There are a lot of good videos on youtube on how to take a Mklll/22/45 apart and successfully put it back together again along with what to check if something isn't working right.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I started to put this in Ammo Dump, but it is really about the pistol an not the ammo. I went back to my range today with different brands of 22 rimfire and a couple of different guns. I took my 22/45 Lite and a Taurus revolver. The ammo I had was Winchester bulk hollow point, Remington bulk Hollow point and Federal AutoMatch solids. :)
The first issue was failure to extract or eject. :( Sometimes the bolt would close back on the empty brass and sometimes the empty would be sideways. It always happened with the first 2 or 3 rounds in the magazine. OK. I understand that. When the slide/bolt goes back when a round fires the bottom of the slide/bolt drags on the top round in the magazine. A full magazine means more drag. If it didn't drag I do not think it would push the next round into the chamber. I have noticed on this forum that several people have noted that problems normally occur more often with the top 2 or 3 rounds in a mag. That problem I understand. The Remingtons did not have any problem. The WW and Fed had that problem. :)
Now to what I do not understand. :confused: I had several failure to fire (FTF) with the Winchester. I can just mark that up to cheap made low quality ammo. Right? When I say several, I mean usually 1 per 10 round magazine. However, what I did not have was one single FTF with the Taurus 94B5 nine shot revolver. :D Not one fail to fire and I shot more through it than the 22/45 Lite. And I didn't have any Failure to eject. ;)
Why will the Ruger automatic fail to fire the WW 22LR when the cheaper Taurus revolver never fails to fire them? :confused: In truth my SR22 will not have quite as many FTF as the Lite.
I guess I am not looking for any answers or theories or opinions, my gripe is why can't a 22 auto be designed so that it will fire as reliably as a revolver? Or is the main problem just my Lite? No, my MKIII Hunter also has FTF's with Winchester and Federal ammo. :eek:

I guess I could ask, does anybody else find that their rimfire revolver works more reliably than their Auto?
Revolvers are less complicated than an auto, the only failure to feed would be your fingers are to clumsy to load it. For failure to fire it can be many things in an auto, the firing pin in the Ruger is pinned into the bolt. A revolver firing pin is normally built into the hammer, so there is much less to fail. Plus cheap bulk ammo tend to have more FTF's than good ammo. Just like cars, with guns and ammo, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
My 22/45 Lite had the same FTF issues for about a year, often in the first two or three rounds of each mag. Following a tip I read recently on another forum, I changed my lubrication approach from light to very heavy. I sprayed the bolt down and applied lots of lube to the feed ramp. Since then, in two trips to the range, I've had 1 FTF and 1 FTE in 170 rounds fired.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now days, you only get what you pay for if you are lucky. Like I said the cheaper revolver does not fail to fire.

Thanks! I will take the Lite apart and do a deep clean.
I surely do love to take the Ruger autos apart. :rolleyes: Yep. Sometimes I just daydream about taking my MKIII hunter apart. :D

I had previously lubed the inside of the magazines with a Q-tip and that really helped the fail to feed. I still have the fail to extract. However the Remi and CCI work almost perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think it's the followers on the magazines... I bought new followers and the gun runs great.. I also noticed that the some of the mag bodies are narrower and bind the spring.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Apples and Oranges between the 22/45 and Tarus.

Have you noticed any of the follows in your mags mags hanging up when you are loading the last 2-3 rounds. Sometimes you may need to remove a burr on the magazine where the button on the follow rides. If you move the follower up and down and it's not smooth, that may indicate an issue.

Neil

·
Registered
122 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL1rIj43sGA

Good video from Tandemkross showing how to polish the mags to reduce FTF, etc. Worth giving a shot if you're having any mag issues.

BTW, had my Lite out this week. Sweet Mary is the TK Victory trigger with a new sear and hammer a thing of beauty to shoot! Trigger pull is <3 for sure with no overtravel or reset margins.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts