Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, spent some quality time with my new 22/45 Lite the last couple of days and put about 500rds through it. I have a strange issue of on nearly every mag(3 different ones) on round #8 consistently will not seat in the chamber. I slam the bolt closed and the last 2 rounds cycle normally. It was field stripped and cleaned before firing the last 300 rds and that had no impact on the jam. I am using Remington Goldens, which after reading here, have not been a favorite in this pistol. Now my 30 year old MkII eats them all day long with no issues, but that is ever so slightly broken in. I will try some CCI's tomorrow to see if the issue resolves itself. I love the feel of the gun, but am a little disappointed at this point. Anyone else encounter this strange problem?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Strange how some handguns can be a bit "picky".....
Never had an issue with these.

·
Registered
223 Posts
golden ammo

you answered your own question!! every gun has likes/dislikes for some reason unknown to man!! experiment, experiment and then stay with whatever WORKS WITH YOUR GUN ! :D

·
Banned
402 Posts
I have a strange issue of on nearly every mag(3 different ones) on round #8 consistently will not seat in the chamber. That doesn't sound like an ammo problem.
I doubt it's bad ammo, I shoot the goldens with great success in two rifles, a 10/22 target, and a Browning T-bolt. It sounds like the last couple of rounds are not being presented to the feed ramp and barrel correctly. If it were a problem with only one mag I would guess a week mag spring. I say that cause the last round or two enlist the least amount of up pressure from the mag spring and may not exit the mag in a correct way, also the feed lips on the mag. But your problem exist with 3 Mags. so week mag springs while a possibility are not likely IMHO. Sometimes feed problems with the last round or two May ( as in not always ) be a dirty extractor, extractor tension, week mag spring, An anomaly on the breach face, could be a few things, I would not exclude week ammo not making the slide perform properly. Have you only shot one kind of bullet ? While I like the goldens I have seen some of them that were a little under powered, But I have seen that with a few different bulk packed bullets.
I think what your saying is round # 8 hangs up, what does it look like ? Almost in the chamber ? half way in ? and after you persuaded round #8 to chamber rounds #9 & 10
function OK. Lets see what some of the resident experts say on this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to pickup a few different types/brands of ammo today to try. As I wrote before it is consistently rd # 8 that hangs. The round will only seat about 95%(is tight in the chamber) and I have to pop the back of the charging handle to seat it. I will say that I have had several FTF from two bulk boxes of the Remington Goldens. I suspect the ammo, but the consistency of rd #8 throws me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem fixed. I ran Winchester wildcats and some of their bulk ammo with no issues whatsoever. Didn't even bother with opening up the box of CCI at that point. The last thing on this pistol is swapping out the front site for a HiViz fiber optic.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'm gald you found out your problem. I gave up on goldens along time ago. All my Ruger rimfires run great on Federal bulk Walmart. As far as CCI's if your gun doesn't run them it's the gun not the ammo CCI's the best out there. Another good one but hard to find is Winchester M22's. Almost as good as CCI and better the most other bulk. Walmart gets $50. for 2 500 rd boxes when they have it. It's the only thing besides CCI mimis that will run in my Kimber 1911 with the .22 conversion kit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put Williams fire sights on my 22/45 Lite and love them. Have not shot the gun since they have been installed so i don't know what effect the higher front sight will have.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My 22/45 LOVES Winchester 525 36gr HP bulk, never once had a hickup yet.

DR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts