Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Dec. 2014 I purchased a 22/45 Lite. From the start its had FTF issues. Not on every shot but with both magazines I've used with it. With multiple ammo brands: Remington, Federal, CCI, etc. Sometimes it runs an entire magazine without an issue. But most of the time it has feed issues at the top of the mag. The solution is to pop the mag and reinsert it, then pull the bolt back.

Today I took it out with the intent of spending the afternoon plinking with it on my continuing hopeful quest that it will work its way into reliability if enough rounds are fired through it. The range I go to has a rimfire only range I hadn't tried, so I went there. At 10 yards, 50 yards, and 100 hards were metal spinners. At 50 and 100 yards they have permanent target stands you can put some paper on.

I started off shooting at the closest spinner. FTF issues continued, and I wasn't hitting a thing. Same at longer rangers. Eventually I put up a paper target and fired, but only got two shots on the paper at 50 yards. I walked up closer to about 7 yards and fired away and those shots were on the paper, but low by a few inches. I then looked at the front site post, only to discover that it was now loose and beginning to rotate off on its screw! This is a gun with maybe 500 rounds through it since I bought it. So now I have a loose front site post already and still no end to the FTF issues.

Meanwhile, my Henry 22 lever action, which I also took, was dead on accurate on iron sights on all the same targets.

This is easily the most issues I've had with any of the many Rugers I own.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sarkus,

Sorry to hear your 22/45 continues to have issues. I would start with two fairly easy things to do. I would lightly polish the feed ramp, and take the magazines apart and clean them.

If that did not fix or at least greatly improve the performance, I would send it back to Ruger for inspection/fixing.

As to the front sight, I had to put mine on three times before it stayed tight. The last time mine came loose I cleaned the screw and the screw hole with alcohol, then used lock tight. My front sight has stayed tight for over 5,000 rounds now.

I hear you on the Henry rifle. Got a H001 recently and have had a great time shooting it. Wonderful little .22 rifle!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My front sight loosened too on my Mk III and 22/45 over time, quicker on the Mk III......a simple dab of Locktite and problem solved. I guess it is the price one pays for a sight held on by a screw versus dovetail.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I picked up my 22/45 LITE in Feb. of 2015. Cleaned it thoroughly... got all the factory thick goo out of it the internal works. I then cleaned, polished, and de-burred the magazines. I still had to put around 5-600 high velocity rounds through it before it settled down and now it is rare to get any failures. Keeping it clean and lightly oiled during this period helped my LITE. She now has in the neighborhood of 1800 rounds down the pipe and is now ultra reliable with any HV ammo. Even so it is just starting to shoot standard velocity rounds with some reliability, some brands better than others.
Keeping it clean between range outings has given me the ability to feel and see the differences each time I have taken it out. IMHO
I think the front sight issue has been common on the Ruger LITE's. Blue Loctite is the go to fix.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought I should provide an update on the pistol.

A few weeks ago I saw a thread on another forum about a 22/45 user who was having issues with a new pistol. One of the suggestions was to run it very wet. I generally run my guns more to the dry side so I figured I'd give this approach a shot. So after screwing the front sight back on, I pulled the bolt and sprayed it down with Remington lube. Then I applied as much as I could to the feed ramp.

I went out to the range with it today. It was low 40s, windy, and snowing at times. 70 rounds of Federal match grade through the pistol, one FTE. No FTFs, which has been the big issue with the gun.

Interesting results to say the least.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I thought I should provide an update on the pistol.

A few weeks ago I saw a thread on another forum about a 22/45 user who was having issues with a new pistol. One of the suggestions was to run it very wet. I generally run my guns more to the dry side so I figured I'd give this approach a shot. So after screwing the front sight back on, I pulled the bolt and sprayed it down with Remington lube. Then I applied as much as I could to the feed ramp.

I went out to the range with it today. It was low 40s, windy, and snowing at times. 70 rounds of Federal match grade through the pistol, one FTE. No FTFs, which has been the big issue with the gun.

Interesting results to say the least.
Great to hear... was the match grade ammo standard velocity?
Highly recommend putting a drop of blue loctite on that front sight screw, it will be the last time you will have to mess with it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great to hear... was the match grade ammo standard velocity?
It was Federal Automatch. The box says 1200 fps.

Today I took the gun out again, having not cleaned or lubed it since the last outing two weeks ago. This time I took 100 rounds of CCI standard velocity. I had FTF's on shots two and three of the first mag and no issues after that. So, two FTF's in 100 rounds.

I'm finally starting to enjoy shooting this gun.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I put one of these on my 22/45 and it's made a world of difference from the stock front sight.
I just installed a set of the Fire Sights.
It was Federal Automatch. The box says 1200 fps.

Today I took the gun out again, having not cleaned or lubed it since the last outing two weeks ago. This time I took 100 rounds of CCI standard velocity. I had FTF's on shots two and three of the first mag and no issues after that. So, two FTF's in 100 rounds.

I'm finally starting to enjoy shooting this gun.
Glad that things are starting to smooth out for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had many many problems with mine FTFire, FTFeed, FTExtract.

As the gun got dirty it became worse and worse.
I removed the stupid LCI and it became almost 100% reliable.
All for a chamber indicator!

I replaced that stupid magazine safety with a washer and I don't recall a problem since and I've gone through 400 or so rounds.

It has always favored CCI ammo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is good info. I bought my 22/45 LITE a few months ago and the first few times I took it out I did not have any issues with CCIs but the bulk Federal was a disaster. Yesterday I took it for the first time to an indoor range and I had issues with all the ammo that I brought. When it fired it was darn accurate, but I had issues almost every single time. Specifically with the first one or two rounds I had a FTF. I looked at this video yesterday and was wondering whether this was a good "first step" to see whether I can improve the functionality of my gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL1rIj43sGA

I love how it shoots, put the Williams firesights on which make a huge difference for me (eyes not what they used to be), and start to get a little addicted :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
The video is great, BUT, great care should be taken in how much rounding of the feed lips is done. De-bur them yes. Removing too much metal "rounding" them will only serve to ruin the mags as this will only cause more issues with early flip/tip up problems. There were a few guys that found this out the hard way when they proceeded to Round the leading edges a bit excessively. These lips guide the shell into the chamber. If it is letting go too soon the mag will not feed correctly. ... ever again.
This is basically the same method we were using back in the early 80's on 1911 mags. Make 'em buttery smooth then oil lightly. Your good to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts