Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Broke down and did my first modification to the new 22/45 lite. Because I can't find any High Viz sights available yet, I thought I would try a mod I saw ealier on here. Simple enough. Some permanent paint and some painters tape and a tooth pick. The front sight was easy,just taped up around the sight to create a nice square pattern and apply the paint. The rear sight was also easy but required a toothpick to get the paint into the U-shaped groove with out going everywhere else. I'm happy with how it turned out and I think it will be a good improvement until High Viz makes the Lite sights.

A little picture heavy, but enjoy!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Opaque acrylic paint markers. States, Ideal for use on wood, plastic, clay, glass, metal, foam board, fabric, and terra cota. Permanent & streak free. Non-toxic and acid free. Available in Fine and Medium point.

Elmer's Solid Paint Markers are Permanent and Opaque in Bright Colors

As far as the picture size goes...not sure what you mean. They seem normal sized on my iPhone. They are just simply iPhone photos loaded to photobucket. If there is a setting I need to change I'm not quite sure what or where that would be. Open to suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not the pic size, its the fact that they are side, by side, by side, by side... They need to be on top of one another so you can simply scroll down the page.
I tried a couple of things. They are all lined up when I view them.

See Sample Screen Shot Above.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Those look pretty good man. I just got a 22/45 MkIII and something like this would work great on there. The stock sights are so low contrast, I've got to do something.
Nice work, sir.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
I did the same thing to mine except I painted the front sight bright orange. I'll probably do it again, but I'll use white as a base layer first so the orange on top will be a little brighter. The paint costs $2.79 and it's enough to do hundreds of sights.

I even did it to my Ruger P95

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did the same thing to mine except I painted the front sight bright orange. I'll probably do it again, but I'll use white as a base layer first so the orange on top will be a little brighter. The paint costs $2.79 and it's enough to do hundreds of sights.

I even did it to my Ruger P95

Nice! Your post was my inspiration. Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you take the rear blade out to paint? Or just mask and paint using a toothpick on the gun?
Actually on the rear blade I did neither masking or taking it out. It was easy enough and deep enough to just apply a small amount several times to the very tip of the toothpick and swipe it into the groove. I only miss swiped once and it was easily wiped off while wet with a plain paper towel. Because it is a deep groove wiping leaves the paint where you want it while only taking off the flat areas you don't.

Good luck if you try it. I hope it lasts a while without wearing down. We'll see as time will tell.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Actually on the rear blade I did neither masking or taking it out. It was easy enough and deep enough to just apply a small amount several times to the very tip of the toothpick and swipe it into the groove. I only miss swiped once and it was easily wiped off while wet with a plain paper towel. Because it is a deep groove wiping leaves the paint where you want it while only taking off the flat areas you don't.

Good luck if you try it. I hope it lasts a while without wearing down. We'll see as time will tell.
Thanks for the info, didn't know there was a grove. Had to get out the magnifying glass to see it with these old eyes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I did the same thing for the rear sight on my 22/45 lite and added the fiber optic front sight from Ruger/HiViz. The front sight is abour $40 from Ruger.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did the same thing for the rear sight on my 22/45 lite and added the fiber optic front sight from Ruger/HiViz. The front sight is abour $40 from Ruger.
I had emailed hi vis for sights. They said they didn't have them available yet. Which ones did you get and did they work good. Is the issue that there is no back sight from them? Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
I used Bright Sights Hi visibility gun sight coating, In a Light hi Viz yellow.

I like the white or Yellow, the brighter the better for me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Eyaker, I did as you said and so far looking good, think I need to put another coat of paint in the rear sight groove, a little black showing on the edge. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine got a similar treatment, only I went with Orange for the front sight because most of my targets are white steel plates at the Practical .22 matches.

Even with my aging eyesight, I now see no reason to spend any money on new sights....these really POP!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts