Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you with the 22/45, does it seem really loud for a 22? Not really a complaint, it just seems to me that it is louder that most 22 pistols I've had...4 1/2" barrel might have something to do with it. BTW, this pistol is so much fun to shoot with the red dot on top.:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
It more than likely is the short 4" barrel. However, it's been my experience that the 22 revolvers are even louder even with longer barrels. Probably due to it having a barrel-cylinder gap and gases escaping.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I have the Mark111 4.5 Hunter and they are louder than the longer barrel pistols. I also love to shoot mine. I put a Hi-viz sight on the front of my P97 CCW and it sure makes a difference.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Even .22 Rifles can damage your hearing. I wear hearing protection ALLways when shooting.
That way .22 pistols don't seem loud to me.

Joe

·
Registered
163 Posts
Each time you hear any impulse noise loud enough to cause your ears ring you have just suffered permanent, irreversible hearing damage! Every time! Noise considerably less powerful can also cause hearing damage.

I starting wearing ear plugs as a teenager (as soon as I became aware that they existed and I found a pair). Alas, after 20+ years in the Navy with the resultant exposure to cannon fire, jet engines, paint chipping machines (deck crawlers), etc., I still ended up with a VA disability for hearing loss and a pair of hearing aids.

Today, do I always wear hearing protecting when shooting? No. I "go naked" when shooting my pellet guns...

It is almost impossible to be over-protective of your hearing. Abuse your hearing and you will lose your hearing.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I always wear hearing protection, no matter what I'm shooting. I compared my 4 1/2" bbl to my bil's 6 1/2" bbl,and there is a definate difference. The longer bbl is quieter.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I did notice that my two MK IIIs did seem to be loud for a 22LR. I have a 6 7/8" and a 5 1/2". I always wear hearing protection (electronic !). :D

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I've had friends ridicule me for wearing ear plugs when I go out shooting rimfires and my shotgun outdoors. That is, until I'm shooting them fast as I can and get their ears good and achin'. I've never noticed them being loud, and probably won't, unless I forget to put the plugs in. It seems rimfire rifles always seem quieter, but it may just be because the muzzle is much farther from the ears.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
I always wear hearing protection, even if I am outdoors shooting a .22.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had a loud 6000 cycle ringing in both my ears 24/7 from a protracted firefight I was involved in in the 1980's. Don't let anyone ridicule you from protecting yourself from what I suffer from. The only time I'm not wearing ear protection is when I hunt. I do hunt ocassionally with a Clark converted Colt Combat Commander in 460 Roland which is extremely loud with a compensator. I keep the earmuffs on my head while in my tree stand and slide them down to shoot. Don't mess with your hearing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Was shooting at my local indoor range with a bud and he was using a sr9 in 9mm. There wasnt to much differance in his report and mine. Please always use hearing protection!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I thought I could shoot my mark II without hearing protection because my 10/22 has never bothered me. After a couple of mags I had learned my lesson.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Having shot most of my life and working in the autobody industry for the last 25 years . I can attest to the fact that hearing damage is cumulative , that is it all adds up. Why risk it . Same goes for eye protection as well . I've taught autobody at a local community college and was known for a safety stickler . Even though I don't currently work with cars I still wear safety glasses for sun glasses UV rated of course . Uvex Sharkhunters. I'm just a little hard of hearing , but I knew better.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I think the reason it sound louder is because the end of the barrel is closer to your ear. But the only way to tell is to put a decibel meter 2 inches in front of all the firearms and take some readings. Then do the same with the meter next to the shooters ear. That should settle this argument.
Now we just have to find a decibel meter.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Wear hearing protection......EVEN WITH .22 rimfires!!!!!!!!!
I got 29+ years experience and training on that...

WEAR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I haven't noticed that my MKIII 22/45 or MKII 22/45 is any louder or quieter than my other pistols. Both have 5.5" barrels.

I'd strongly advise always wearing hearing (and eye) protection. I spent 26 years in the Army Reserves, mostly in Artillery units. I went through a number of misfire procedures that required me listening, without hearing protection, for primers to fire. They usually fired. 8" and 155 mm howitzers are very loud when they fire. Loads of fun when they go off and your ears are a couple of feet from the breach. For the last 20 years I've had a constant ringing in my ears (very loud). I'm one of those folks who turns the TV on very loud, can't hear it if there is background noise and all the fun things that come with hearing loss and damage. It's absolutely no fun at all. The ringing is much louder if I hear a loud, sharp noise.

One of my daughters had to have eye surgery. She was standing 10 feet away from her husband firing a revolver. No glasses to stop the stuff flying out of the gap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ALWAYS wear hearing (and eye) protection!!!

Any .22LR is still loud enough to cause hearing loss. The damage from percussion impulse noise (as in gunfire, hammers, explosions etc) is sneaky, as your ears doesn´t have to "ring", they might still be damaged and the effects are cumulative over the years. Some people are less sensitive than others, but there´s no way of telling until it´s already to late...

Now, the somewhat short barrel on the 22/45 of yours may well be louder than some. I can attest to the fact that a Walther TPH .22LR fired indoors (even shorter than a Walther PPK/PP, let alone your 22/45) loaded with High Velocity ammo is easily mistaken for a bigger weapon, by sound alone :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts