Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much better does the .22/.45 shoot than the SR22? The latter costs more, but feels better to me, and is much, much easier to dis-assemble for cleaning.

I want it mainly for plinking, but I would like to be able to actually hit stuff with it. Is the 22/45 easier to shoot, and, if so, is it a big difference?

· Registered
153 Posts
SR22P-70 rounds-federal bulk 550

22/45 LITE-150 rounds-federal bulk 550

Having owned them both I personally like the 22/45 better for target shooting. For me the groups are definitely tighter. I think it is a matter of mechanics. Longer barrel and bolt vs shorter barrel and slide. The SR22 is a fun little pistol also, I can just achieve better accuracy with the 22/45.

I hope this helps a little bit, and don't let breaking down a 22/45 scare you, it is nothing like what you have heard. And frankly I only take mine apart every 1000 rounds and just run a bore snake at 150 intervals and have no problems or feeling like I had a super dirty gun.

· Registered
342 Posts
Get both. I have a 22/45 Target and really like it. I just bought the SR22 this week and really like the feel of it. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet because it has been raining here all week.

Seriously, I don't think you will go wrong with either one. It will all come down to which one feels better in your hand.

· Registered
3 Posts
any particular reason why you're not interested in a mark 3? Just curious, I have an SR22 myself but can definitely understand wanting something a little more accurate if you're going to be using it for target shooting / plinking. Plinking with the SR22 is still fun though, don't get me wrong.

· Registered
6,450 Posts
I agree with others. Get one of each. Both great for their intended use; 22/45 for formal or informal paper punching to test your skills, and the SR22 for plinking and such. Heck, you'll only have around $600 invested for TWO great pistols.

· Registered
183 Posts
I have both a 22/45 Lite, and a SR22P.

They are both fine pistols.

I am a better shot with the 22/45 Lite.

My better half is a better shot with the SR22P.

Duane

· Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Me prsonally, I would take the 22/45 over the SR22 anyday.
I have two and they were both accurate out of the box.
Just can't get my head around the SR22.

· Registered
3,613 Posts
I have three 22/45s, and the SR22P. The 22/45s are much more accurate than the SR22P is. I dont know why people say the SR22P is such a great plinker. It has no advantage over the 22/45. The 22/45 is more accurate, has a better trigger, Magazines are half the cost, and the McFadden Ultimate Cliploader makes the rounds simply fall into the magazines. The 22/45 is drilled and tapped for a scope, the SR22P is not. Seems simple to me.

· Registered
2,956 Posts
I have the SR22 and enjoy shooting it, it is good for what it was designed to do. Looking back I wish I had bought the 22/45. But I'm not getting rid of the SR. I do plan to add the 22/45 some time down the road. Currently saving for a pocket pistol, and a 1911.

· Registered
2,489 Posts
I have both. The SR22p is a sweet shooting, lite handling, ergonomic, and accurate pistol. Saying that, I can shoot the MKIII 22/45 very accurately. The MKIII with the heavy/bull barrel with a longer sight radius just seems to stay on target if I do my part with steady hands.

· Registered
1,073 Posts
Two different guns. I've got two MKIII tagets, MKIII Hunter & two SR22's. The MK's are more accurate but the Sr22's are still fun to shoot. If I had to pick one over the other it would the MKIII Hunter or the MKIII target. But that said I won't get rid of any of them. I know this doesn't help you much. That's why I have them all. I also like the MKIII's over the 22/45's but that's just me

· Registered
5,008 Posts
How much better does the .22/.45 shoot than the SR22? The latter costs more, but feels better to me, and is much, much easier to dis-assemble for cleaning.

I want it mainly for plinking, but I would like to be able to actually hit stuff with it. Is the 22/45 easier to shoot, and, if so, is it a big difference?
You didn't mention your experience level, but if you're new to shooting pistols, do yourself a favor and get the MKIII. No finer pistol for learning the basics. That's why the military has used Marks for years as a trainer for shooting pistols. A Mark is not only inherently more accurate than the SR, it also has features that make it easier to shoot for the beginner.

· Registered
759 Posts
I agree the consensus is that the 22/45 is a more accurate gun. BUT, the shooter has as much to do with accuracy as the gun. I have an SR22 and have shot a MK3 and 22/45 enough to be a fair judge of all.

At 15 yards I have shot clothes pins with the SR22, MK3 and 22/45.
At 25 yards I would say the SR22 loses some to the others but it's not as dramatic as everyone wants you to believe. And yes, the 22/45 is ready for a scope. personally that is not a selling point for me. I am not a fan of scoped .22lr pistols. I personally do not find the look of the MK3 or 22/45 to be as appealing as the SR22.

Bottom line, I'd bought a sr22 first and then a 22/45 later. I had shot both before buying. you'll have fun with either.

· Registered
1,844 Posts
All of my MKIII's (22/45 included) are more accurate than my SR22. I still like the little SR22 as it is just fine to plink with and I am still trying to get closer to my MK pistol results with it.

Like some have said - get both! If you are only able to get one, I would go with the 22/45.

· Registered
1,844 Posts
Here is a photo of one of my best SR22 targets. 25 yards, standing 2 hand hold.
The target is 5 1/2" in diameter. I think with a little practice I may be able to get all 10 shots in the black. I don't think that is too bad for a short barreled pistol - especially for my 65 year old eyes.

So, if you are wanting to get the little SR22, it can be a very capable shooter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.