Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The slide release on my 22/45 hurts my thumb. Does anybody make a extended slide release. perfrably one that is shape like a MKII. I looked at Volquartson and powercustom but thay only have them for a MKII & III.
I tried taking the plunger out so the slide would close by racking the bolt back but for some reason did'nt like it.

I bought it used at the funshow yesterday and only came with one mag and no case or the key for the internal lock. Does anyone know how much Ruger charges for the key? i don't know why but I want one.

Any other aftermarket acessories that any of you would recommend my looking into?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I'd check into that release lever. Mine is no problem. I've also been shooting my son-in-laws and it's great. Not sure why it would hurt. Try cleaning and blowing a little air around it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
I took the gun apart and got and cleaned everything and that did some good. What I don't like about it is the sharp edges, round shape, and that it does not stick out as far as I would like it too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just picked up my first 22/45 last saturday. The key looks like an allen wrench to me. Clockwise locks it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I got a set of extended controls by Broken Gun Ranch. They mimic extended controls on a 1911 almost perfectly. Looks like they've gone out of business, though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bullseye, I am so happy with you and this site. The only thing I didn't love about my 22/45 was the thin grip. I was looking for a set of Hogue slip ons or something to make it a bit thicker. This mod is absolutely perfect. I'm wondering if you or anyone knows what Ruger charges for a new lower assembly. It might be nice to do the mod on an extra part if it's not too expensive. It would also allow me to return it to stock if needed.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Unfortunately Ruger does not sell the 22/45 grip frames separately. Many folks have inquired, especially those with Pac Lite receivers but they refuse to sell them as a separate item. There have been some folks who've found them on the used market but they typically go for the price of a new complete pistol. There are some folks who use the Hogue slip on grips and like them but the down side is getting them off when you want to field strip the pistol.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks Bullseye. I have a set of Hogue 1911 grips, the rubber wrap around type with the finger grooves. It's just hard to get myself to start cutting up a brand new gun. I can't decide whether to use the rubber grips or the wood ones like you used. The other web site you refered to used the rubbers but in officer's size. It looks like mine (gov't model size) will fit fine though. Although I'm a fair craftsman I guess I'm just afraid I'll make a mistake.

·
Registered
690 Posts
DLB, simply pulling the bolt back "slightly" ( to take off the pressure) and slide the release downward, and "let the bolt fly forward"...works every time and costs "NOTHING".............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts