Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've owned Ruger pistols for nearly two decades now and have never had cause to regret my purchases. So I'm hoping I can get some advice when it comes to my 22/45.

Its an older model, about 12 years old or so I guess and its had its share of ammo through it. But this last time at the range I ran into a problem with the feed ramp that I didn't expect.

At the very bottom of the ramp where it is at its thinnest the ramp chipped and came apart. Now any ammo that is forced up the ramp has a little slug of lead pared off of it and its causing feed problems.

The ramp is cast into the main part of the barrel/reciever part and I'm not seeing that much can be done to repair it.

I am considering sending it into Ruger to see what if anything they can do, but am wondering is it worth it to try?

·
Banned
402 Posts
Don't give it a second thought, send it in.
Call them and tell them what happened, they will issue a call tag, and pay shipping both ways. You will probly get a new pistol if repairs can't be done.
Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply, do you think that they will do that with that old of a pistol? I would tend to think that any warranty is long since expired on it.

I do have the pistol boxed and a note written up and ready to go with it already, so I will call Ruger on Monday and get the ball rolling. This plinker is too much of a favorite not to try to get it repaired.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Another option, if Ruger will not repair it, is to TIG (GTAW) weld some new metal onto the place where the chip is and reshape the ramp to the old configuration. TIG welding works well in this application because it concentrates the heat into a small area and will not discolor the rest of the finish or mess with the overall hardness of the metal receiver.

Find a local smith who can do this type of repair for you.

R,
Bullseye

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Don't give it a second thought, send it in.
Call them and tell them what happened. Good luck
Absolutely.
Keep us informed of your progress.
Ruger CS is second to none..... ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need to get the pictures off the camera onto the computer, but I did a closer inspection of the ramp today and noticed that the areas where the ramp supports are welded to the reciever are cracked on either side as well.

I've never had a burst case in this gun, nor have I shot any hot ammo through it (is there a hot 22LR round? lol) nor any function problems outside of the rounds being shaved so I'm thinking that this is something that developed over time and I missed the onset somehow.

Thanks for the support guys I will keep you apprised of what Ruger says.

·
Banned
402 Posts
Ruger does not have a warranty on anything, they just have great C/S
If it breaks they replace it, end of story. Call for the shipping label.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I called Ruger customer support today and was asked to send an e-mail along with pictures of the problem I was experiencing. The lady at customer support was very nice and supportive.
She said that I would likely hear back within 24 hours from her tech. Till then I thought I'd post two of the pictures here that I sent in.

I've never seen anything like this occur on a pistol before.

Currently my main worry is that this is an early Mark II, which is out of production. So if things need replacing the parts may not be there.

edit: pardon the quality of the pictures..its hard to get a good close up shot on a shiney chunck of metal with out having flash glare oversaturate the shot.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm not sure that I am seeing that 22/45 receiver right. What it should look like is this-

I'm having difficulty seeing any chips off of the feed ramp. The depth of the feed ramp should be even with the flat areas on the bottom of the receiver. The bottom picture looks as if that's the case but the top one looks as if the whole feed ramp area has been milled down even with the bottom of the front lug recess. If that is the case then it didn't break off that way. The feed ramp and the flat area for the front lug are all part of the barrel assembly which is then screwed into the receiver tube. The tube is milled afterward causing the feed ramp length to be set.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I didn't get a good shot of the top of the feed ramp, but the area where it chipped off is evident when viewed that way. Also, if you look at the top picture you can see where there is missing material on the very bottom of the ramp. It has a jagged curve in it now rather than being straight across as it used to be.

As you have mentioned, the bottom of the feed ramp is milled even with the flats on the reciever and the front lug recess is milled deeper yet.

Is your pistol a Mk III or a II..I wonder if they changed that area between the two versions.

In any event, I notice that area where your barrel is blended to the reciever is well defined, while mine shows evidence of cracking in that area. This is more evident in the bottom picture to the left of the ramp.

I'm not sure if this is a stress area or if it is evidence of poor fit at the factory.

I'm still waiting for word to come back from Ruger.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Since your last message I can now see the part you're talking about missing on the feed ramp in the bottom photograph on the lower left hand side of the ramp.

R,
Bullseye

1 - 11 of 11 Posts