Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 22/45, and did for mods to it before firing it for the first time.

1. Magazine safety removal
2. LCI removal
3. Extractor swap
4. Slingshot mod - removed spring and detent

Just took it to the range, and the gun worked great except it wouldn't “slingshot” - I had to use the bolt release. Has anyone else had this problem, and know how to fix it?

thanks in advance.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Mine are all standard..... sorry.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just purchased a 22/45, and did for mods to it before firing it for the first time.

1. Magazine safety removal
2. LCI removal
3. Extractor swap
4. Slingshot mod - removed spring and detent

Just took it to the range, and the gun worked great except it wouldn't “slingshot” - I had to use the bolt release. Has anyone else had this problem, and know how to fix it?

thanks in advance.
I've also made the "slingshot mod" to my Mk III 22/45 Lite.

When you remove the spring and detent button, you are depending on gravity to make the bolt release drop when you slingshot the bolt.

For me, it works most of the time, but not every time. Most times, if I try it again, it works. I've found that if I take my time, it works better.

Pull the bolt back, then hesitate a second before you release it.

This is a range gun, so an extra second is not a worry to me.

But, if you Google it, you'll find where some people add a small spring to make the "slingshot mod" work every time, by pushing the bolt release down.

Oh, welcome to the forum.

Duane

·
Registered
22 Posts
I will agree with Duane in that your solely relying on gravity to do the work for your thumb in not having to depress the bolt release lever down. Make sure movement of the bolt release lever is non-binding with as little friction as possible. I've found that gunk in between the frame and lever will sometimes prevent the mod from doing what it's supposed to do.

I'm waiting for my dremel to be returned by a friend so that I can get the spring in. A couple vids on youtube explain it all. Mark-then cut. Install a pen spring/or a small one you have layin around and it would seem to me to function at a higher rate than without. And upside down for those adventurous types ;)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I did the slingshot mod to my MKIII 22/45 along with a VQ trigger kit. I have not had any problems with mine at all. Pull the bolt back and let go - works every time with just gravity. It works just like my MKIII Target model.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts