Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of getting a 22 cal conversion for my 1911 but am now leaning toward the Ruger 22/45 stainless 4 1/2 " barrel. (They are priced about the same) I had the opportunity to shoot one several days ago at the range. I have searched 22/45 for information on the forum but don't see many comments. Any advise will be appreciated....

·
Registered
288 Posts
quote:Originally posted by USNCHIEF

I have been thinking of getting a 22 cal conversion for my 1911 but am now leaning toward the Ruger 22/45 stainless 4 1/2 " barrel. (They are priced about the same) I had the opportunity to shoot one several days ago at the range. I have searched 22/45 for information on the forum but don't see many comments. Any advise will be appreciated....
Chief, (former Navy "nuke" MM SSN sailor here)) the Ruger .22 pistols are one of, if not the, greatest .22s ever designed and produced.Right out of the box the triggers are very good. This is NOT the case on the Ruger centerfire pistols.......on those guns triggers need a bit more break-in. The pistols are accurate and reliable, those good triggers conduce to accuracy. The 1911 type ergonomics of the 22/45 have had wide appeal. I like the ergos of the 22/45 better than those of the original Ruger .22 pistol.You get adjustable sights on the 22/45, and if you want to change them Hi-Viz setups (if not included on the latest guns) are available. My 22/45 is the stainlees bull barrel 5 1/2 incher. I prefer muzzle heavy guns, even on a light kicking .22....I just like the feel of the extra heft.I love the pistol........it and my 10-22 target rifle cover EVERYTHING I need/want to do w/ a .22. As far as I'm concerned, if you can get a COMPLETE .22, one of the very best, for the same as a 1911 .22 conversion, the decision is a no-brainer-------I'd grab the Ruger...... w/ 5 1/2 inch barrel.PS: YOU might have to tune your magazine lips a bit for perfect feeding of some bullet shapes...I had to.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the info....I have a MKII target stainless that I got in the early 80s..thousands of rds with no problems........the trouble is my son-in-law borrowed it and is reluctant to surrender it. I have dressed out my 10/22 with tech-sights and some other stuff...it is a great rifle. I do trust the Ruger brand.

·
Registered
288 Posts
quote:Originally posted by USNCHIEF

Thanx for the info....I have a MKII target stainless that I got in the early 80s..thousands of rds with no problems........the trouble is my son-in-law borrowed it and is reluctant to surrender it. I have dressed out my 10/22 with tech-sights and some other stuff...it is a great rifle. I do trust the Ruger brand.
I see your experience gives you a frame of reference. Good. One thing to consider is accuracy. Are those 1911 .22 conversions as accurate as a 22-45? I know OF them, but not much ABOUT them.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Just get a 22/45 and enjoy having another whole gun. I just got one, a 22/45 Mark II, I didn't want a Mark III, as I don't care for the Magazine safety or the locking mechanisms.
Just a personal thing.

These are fun guns, and two guns are always better than one, as they say, one is none, and two is one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts