Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Ruger. Bought a 10/22 for the grandkids. So I signed onto this Ruger forum recently to learn how to do auto-loaders.
I found the auto-loader fun to shoot, but it just ain't a bolt action!

Problem #1: I want an *accurate* .22 rimfire. Well, doesn't have to be a benchrester, but something that hits the varmint up to about 100 yards. My Savage Mark II .22 LR almost does that most of the time. But it isn't dependable over 30-40 yards on small stuff (and bigger stuff isn't good for rimfires).
Problem #2: I can't make anything better out of the Savage without a lot of gunsmith money--which I don't have.
Problem #3: I like to work on guns (although don't have access to a metal shop), but I don't know where to start. Guess I need a good (used?) action. Is a 77/22 a good starting point to create a good accurate .22 rifle? Barrel upgrades possible without a metal shop, etc.? Reasonable cost?

Problem #4: I guess I don't really know what I need to know on the matter.

Any thoughts?
Angky.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think you'd find that a 77/22 right out of the box will meet all your requirements as far as action type, ease of use, reliability, and accuracy.

I have the target version, and with no modifications other than putting a high quality, made for rimfire use scope on it (Burris 3-9x R/A), it has done everything I could ask of it, out to shots of 100+ yards.

Using Federal Match ammo, a ten shot group always ends up in the 0.8"-1.3" range at 100 yards.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you'd find that a 77/22 right out of the box will meet all your requirements as far as action type, ease of use, reliability, and accuracy.

I have the target version, and with no modifications other than putting a high quality, made for rimfire use scope on it (Burris 3-9x R/A), it has done everything I could ask of it, out to shots of 100+ yards.

Using Federal Match ammo, a ten shot group always ends up in the 0.8"-1.3" range at 100 yards.
That is impressive--especially for a rimfire!
One problem for me is initial cost. A new 77/22 target rifle costs a lot more than I have access to. I'm kinda thinking about a used one with a bad barrel that I can replace. Not sure if 77/22's can be done that way or not. If the acton's good, a beat-up stock & barrel I can have fun fixing (and I build my own stock).
Angky.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a dozen 22 rifles and all of them will shoot like you're describing.

If money is an issue I'd look for a savage, but I'd first figure out why the rifle you have currently won't shoot well... or well enough. If it weren't for price I would've bought a 77/22mag a couple years back. Just couldn't see paying twice the amount the Savage 93 cost me and it's superbly accurate.

I've personally had very good luck with Savage rifles in 22 or 22mag. Might be an easy fix.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a dozen 22 rifles and all of them will shoot like you're describing.

If money is an issue I'd look for a savage, but I'd first figure out why the rifle you have currently won't shoot well... or well enough. If it weren't for price I would've bought a 77/22mag a couple years back. Just couldn't see paying twice the amount the Savage 93 cost me and it's superbly accurate.

I've personally had very good luck with Savage rifles in 22 or 22mag. Might be an easy fix.
Thanks for the input on the Savage.
I've been able to magnify the top couple inches of barrel and I was shocked at what I saw! Naked eye looks like a good barrel, but magnified a couple times and a lot of rough riflings appeared. Saw a gouge too. Also, I can feel the cleaning rod running tight & loose & tight again from the breech.
Maybe I'll try lapping the barrel. I'll have to do it with the action installed since I have no way to pull the barrel out of the action, but I've done that on one other rifle and it improved accuracy. Sure don't like doing it though! Lapping can ruin a lot of good things in a barrel, if a guy doesn't have a good hand on it. (And I have to assume I don't, since I've done it only once.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the last bit of the rifling at the muzzle is bad, nothing will make the Savage shoot well without addressing that. You have looked at the barrel. Perhaps taking the muzzle back a bit, and re crowning would bring back its accuracy. This works sometimes even when there are flaws along the barrel such as an oil ring, or loose area you described.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If a 22lr bullet hits a tight spot it will never shoot good, that lead bullet wont expand to fit the bore once it has been resized by the tight spot, a 22 will be more accurate with being loose at the chamber end and tight at the muzzle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts