Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 3 guns that shoot 22lr now, a 10/22, Henry lever action and a MkIII 22/45. I got a .22 rifle boresnake earlier this year. I love it, it makes cleaning barrels amazingly easy and quick. I highly recommend them.

Here's my question though: can I use my .22 rifle boresnake on my pistol? I'm assuming yes, as they are the same bore and all. I take it pistol boresnakes are just shorter? I don't want to pick one up if my rifle boresnake will work fine on my 22/45.
Thanks for any thoughts!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Your 22 rifle bore snake will be fine for your handguns. The bore. snake is just longer, it may just be a little tougher to pull all the way through if it is new and not stretched out a bit. Save the money for ammo.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I used my longer rifle boresnake on my pistols with no problem and as Millertime said - they are the same except for the length.
I did end up buying the pistol version when I saw one on sale. Less string to deal with, but the main reason for me was that my most often used "snake" the .22 size only had to work half as hard since it had a brother to share the load.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Patchworm

I'm going against the grain here because the BoreSnake is so popular but--I quit using them since after the first pull-through you are pulling a dirty, flaked piece of material through your barrel over and over. Also has brass (I hope) bristles which I don't need in a 22 barrel. You gotta wash those things after EVERY range visit.

I use the patch worm (easy to google find) and you can make your own even. Comes with "plugs" for just about every caliber and insures a clean, tight patch or felt cleaner through the barrel every pull.;)

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I used my longer rifle boresnake on my pistols with no problem and as Millertime said - they are the same except for the length.
I did end up buying the pistol version when I saw one on sale. Less string to deal with, but the main reason for me was that my most often used "snake" the .22 size only had to work half as hard since it had a brother to share the load.
i actually don't mind the extra string-- i wind it around my hand a few times on those occasional tough pulls (where i don't want rope burn with copper filings mixed in).

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
I can't see inside the barrels of my .22 rifles very easily, so I can only make educated guesses about what's going good on inside them. I do know, though, that when I first got a 9mm pistol, I cleaned it the old fashioned way, with about a zillion wet then dry patches. I brought home a bore snake one day, ran it through once and my barrel was mirror clean- way better than with the patches.

I can only assume that the same thing happens in my .22's when I run a snake through them.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I can't see inside the barrels of my .22 rifles very easily, so I can only make educated guesses about what's going good on inside them. I do know, though, that when I first got a 9mm pistol, I cleaned it the old fashioned way, with about a zillion wet then dry patches. I brought home a bore snake one day, ran it through once and my barrel was mirror clean- way better than with the patches.

I can only assume that the same thing happens in my .22's when I run a snake through them.
i still follow bore snake with wet and dry patches-- still get more junk out, but i definitely like the bore snakes-- saves a whole bunch of passes with brushes, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts