Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday got in some testing of Ammo.
Used a Ruger SR22PB-EX and Colt/Walther 1911 Rail Gun.
First ran through 200 Golden Bullets in both, just ta get them both nice and dirty.
Next ran the Winchester 40 gr. hp. 1435 fps. through both.
Next ran the Browning 40 gr. hp. 1435 fps.
Winchester smoked more than Browning and was not holding as tight as pattern as Browning. Now mind you, Ya have ta Crawl before ya can learn to Walk. The SR22 we have only had it a Week so I'm still learning all of it's little Idiosyncrasies. And the Colt we have only had it from November Election Day, what a way to celebrate Voting, Vote and then visit the Gun Store.
Still learning exactly how it is Working, Fixed Sites on that one.
Did not notice to much of Sound difference between the two but, I think Browning did Sound a little Crisper.
Now on to the Federal Ammo, 31 gr. hp. 1435 fps. Wowie what a report them give off when they are fired. Nice Sharp Crack and a Nice Echo. And had a far tighter pattern than the others.
Mine you it was Quality Time and only putting 5 rounds in each Magazine at a time.
That's the Crawling before ya can Walk Time, just wanted ta stay Focused.
Got the Browning Ammo from Ammo Freedom $10.39 /100, the Winchester Ammo $10.35 I think from Alamo Ammo & the Federal from Ammomen Llc. for $4.13/50.
All in all the SR22 did better with the Ammo but, the Colt did far better with the Federal Ammo.
Ran 200 of each of the Ammunition through both Firearms without one single hiccup or even a burp. That to me is a Good Day well Spent. And yeah Olinda Trademark was on Browning, Winchester & Federal Boxes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Interesting post. I have a SR22 and it is a fun plinker but I would not think of it as a pistol to check accuracy of ammunition but you did not say you were anyway.

Federal I am not sure who owns it but the Herstal Group out of Belgium actually licenses Browning and Winchester to use their names, essentially owns part of them,,. Browning does not have equipment to make ammunication but Winchester does. Many people, myself included believe winchester make Browning's ammo. That does not necessarily make it identically to Winchester's but you might enjoy running down the history and connections of all of them. It is actually interesting as to who owns or controls whom..

I enjoyed your post .

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Interesting post. I have a SR22 and it is a fun plinker but I would not think of it as a pistol to check accuracy of ammunition but you did not say you were anyway.

Federal I am not sure who owns it but the Herstal Group out of Belgium actually licenses Browning and Winchester to use their names, essentially owns part of them,,. Browning does not have equipment to make ammunication but Winchester does. Many people, myself included believe winchester make Browning's ammo. That does not necessarily make it identically to Winchester's but you might enjoy running down the history and connections of all of them. It is actually interesting as to who owns or controls whom..

I enjoyed your post .
Federal is part of ATK (along with CCI, Speer, and several others).

Olin Chemical was the owner of Winchester starting in the 1930s. In 1980, they spun off the not especially profitable firearms business (US Repeating Arms) and kept the highly profitable ammunition business.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Eastman, thanks for the Federal information and the Winchester data. Interesting to find out who owns or influences what.

Whould you think Winchester might produce Browning. ?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah Me think's that there are some Fat Cats sitting around in some Corporate Offices that have all of these Satellite Factories all under one roof producing Ammo putting in different Boxes.
Does make ya think a little bit.
Thanks for the reply's.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Interesting!
Good info but I'll stick with CCI and Aquila for "hot" .22's. I regret that I haven't used the ammo listed...CCI stingers have been 100% reliable as has aquila super extra. Mini mags are my preferred ammo choice. The fireballs exiting my mk111 22/45 are impressive but don't add much in a pistol except the flamethrower effect!
The aquila does smell like a used cat box after firing due to the Ely primers-lol.
CCI is the standard for .22's--period!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Federal Automatch is my go to 22 ammo. My sr22 and m&p 15/22 rifle shoot it no problem. I've also shot CCI, standard and mini-mags, Blazer, Remington Golden bullets, and Browning. The only one I've had a problem with was the Browning ammo. Duds left and right with both guns.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Yeah Me think's that there are some Fat Cats sitting around in some Corporate Offices that have all of these Satellite Factories all under one roof producing Ammo putting in different Boxes.
Does make ya think a little bit.
Thanks for the reply's.
Alliant Techsystems (ATK) is a major player in both civilian and military munitions.

Lewisville ID is home to CCI/Speer
Anoka, MN has the main Federal Plant
Lake City is currently managed by Federal
A plant for military propellants and explosives is in western VA (I interviewed with that facility back in the 90s)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts