Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Browning 22 Hyper Velocity? If so what did ya think of it?
Rumor has it that it is made by Winchester?
Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've been seeing browning ammunition appearing on shelves around me in all sorts of calibers. Haven't tried any of it yet but a lgs had a 500rd sealed can. I would have bought one except for the price. ($68) so I passed.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know the Hyper stuff is always more. I did get some online and used it, surprisingly accurate.
Have ta say got on Sale $12.00 for a 100 I believe.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Thanks.
I haven't tried it, but on the box, it does state Olin Corp, E. Alton IL (just like Winchester ammo)

Correction - the off the shelf ammo has a Missouri address on the box. But Clayton MO is not that far from East Alton (maybe 20 miles) and the Browning ammo website does list it as Olin Corporation.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I just found some of the standard velocity stuff at my local fun store. $20/400, .05 per round. Can't wait to try it.

UPDATE: just got back from the range shooting some of this standard velocity stuff, and I'm less than impressed. Admittedly, several magazines full from a single pistol (Ruger Mk II bull barrel) is not a thorough test, maybe 50-60 rounds, but I was less than thrilled with the stuff. I had several failures to feed, several failures to eject, and one misfire that went off on the second try. It wasn't very accurate, either.

I have had this pistol for a long time, and just cleaned it, so I'm blaming the ammo. Too bad, too, because it's the least expensive .22 ammo I've seen lately.

I'll try some different guns next time out and keep you posted.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I bought some Browning stuff it was horrible. I had 15-20 duds out of a 100 round sleeve. I'll never buy it again!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I bought a box of 400 to try it is visually different than any other Winchester ammo I have, did not shoot it over my chronograph
Shooting it out of my USST 10/22
Accuracy is better than other bulk packs and no ftf

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,190 Posts
Looks to me like it's 20% more expensive for the browning name (about $12/100 when most other hundred packs are $10) and mediocre Winchester quality.

I wonder if these too will be out of spec, like so much of the Winchester 22 ammo that won't fit in a Single Six or Bearcat cylinder.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have seen the OLIN Trademark on Federal & CCI Ammo. Google Olin History, good stuff out there ta Read. Me think's that Olin Corp. is making brass casings by the Bazillions & selling them to Everyone to put Their Name's on them. Just not Rimfire but Centerfire too.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,190 Posts
Have seen the OLIN Trademark on Federal & CCI Ammo. Google Olin History, good stuff out there ta Read. Me think's that Olin Corp. is making brass casings by the Bazillions & selling them to Everyone to put Their Name's on them. Just not Rimfire but Centerfire too.
None of which changes the fact that with the Browning brand, they're charging $11.99 for what every other brand is selling for $9.99. Even if you want hyper-velocity stuff, Cabela's website regularly has Winchester "super speed" loads for ten bucks.

Also what you say doesn't explain or obviate the fact that Winchester 22 ammo doesn't chamber in a lot of our Ruger revolver cylinders. No, not all 22 ammo is created equal.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi catkillr , saving up to get a 0626, to me bulk ammo is factory 2nds. Not of the best quality.
I don't buy anymore of the Winchester Bulk Ammo anymore. Sent what I did have sent back to Winchester and They did send back a Refund.
Ammo Freedom sells Browning Hyper Velocity for $9.95 for a 100.
After I get the 0626 I'll dig out the Micrometers and the Old Dial Calipers and do some serious measuring. Will let ya know what I see. Very curious ta see what is going on. Not sticking up for Winchester.
Thanks

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,190 Posts
Good luck and I'll be curious to know if your Ruger single action chambers all brands. One person here recently sent his back to Ruger to "fix" the chambers but I prefer to simply use a brand that fits the chamber.

Ok for $9.95 I'd probably take the plunge and try one box. Ten cents a round is more par for the course for a hundred-pack nowadays.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Thanks.
The 400 pack at cabelas is high velocity (rn solid lead with "special black coating" {I think grease}. at about 1270 fps MV. I have not shot any of that yet. I picked up some 100 packs of FT HP at cabelas on the way to the range yesterday (10 buck per hundred for either). it is rated at 1460 fps. I had no FTF or FTE out of 100 rounds, however, it was all over the place at 50 yards. Before I go on, I have a marlin model 60 with me. It usually shoots pretty good and since my trigger job I'd say excellent. All of my shots with this and my go to ammo for my rifle (CCI STD) were off a bench. 50 coating shots were taken before "real" shooting. I am an experienced marksman. wind was negligible. I am going to try to attach a target from the CCI (black one) and one from same distance and time from the Browning. they will speak for themselves. opinions asked for.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey There paulkalman
Thanks for the Info. Did you shoot the Hyper stuff or the black coated stuff?
Have tried the hyper stuff in Marlin Glenfield Model 25, Marlin 60 model and Colt Rail Gun plus Rugers SR22PB-EX all with very good results.
Really surprised it didn't work out for you.
Have not tried any of the bulk black coated stuff. Don't think I will either.
Thank's, curious about any results anybody has with the ammo.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,391 Posts
Your model 60 doesn't like that ammo. The CCI groups look great. Try that Browning in another .22 before you give up on it.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Hey There paulkalman
Thanks for the Info. Did you shoot the Hyper stuff or the black coated stuff?
Have tried the hyper stuff in Marlin Glenfield Model 25, Marlin 60 model and Colt Rail Gun plus Rugers SR22PB-EX all with very good results.
Really surprised it didn't work out for you.
Have not tried any of the bulk black coated stuff. Don't think I will either.
Thank's, curious about any results anybody has with the ammo.
I have not tried the round nose (black coated) stuff yet, I am hopeful it will work out better as it is just high velocity (about 1240 fps), I will repost when I do

1 - 20 of 24 Posts