Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey you owners of the Ruger SP101 ( mod. 5765) .22 DA revolver. What are your experiences and opinions ? For Christmas I'm buying us ( my wife and I) a DA .22 , and am considering only the Ruger Sp101 and the S&W Model 63. Any comments are greatly appreciated.:)

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I have a 30+ year old S&W 34-1 .22LR revolver. It has been a fantastic tool to teach my wife and daughters how to shoot. I have always been partial to S&W revolvers, but have also shot many Ruger DAs. The 63 would be fantastic, and the SP as well. Try to rent or borrow one of each at a range to see what YOU and the Mrs. prefer.

Good luck. Let us know!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Don't discount the LCR 22. I have one and love it. Trigger pull is a little heavy, but after only a few times at the range I have enough accuracy to meet my own needs. As much as I love the SP101 series, I ended up with LCR-22 and LCR-357.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
22 da

Don't discount the LCR 22. I have one and love it. Trigger pull is a little heavy, but after only a few times at the range I have enough accuracy to meet my own needs. As much as I love the SP101 series, I ended up with LCR-22 and LCR-357.
Thanks for that. Wasn't really considering a snub-nosed, but for the intended purpose ( SD for my wife because I'm away from home frequently), I'm gonna look at the LCR-22 as well.:)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have the 5765, and a 3" S&W 317 Airlight. Both revolvers are very nice, heavy triggers in DA, but that is with all DA rimfire revolvers. I also have the LCR-22, a 2" Taurus 94, and a 4" S&W 617. Between the SP101-22 and S&W 63, I see no advantage of one over the other. The Ruger is cheaper, the S&W is probably more available. Either is an heirloom quality revolver that with any care, will last many generations. I have held the 63, and its a beautiful revolver, but so is my SP101-22. I think if I was doing it again, I would get the SP101-22 again. IF you can find one, before you buy it, make sure the barrel isnt canted. Take a look at the revolver from the muzzle end(unloaded of course)and look at where the barrel enters the frame. The rib on top the barrel should be perfectly square to the frame. A little cant is acceptable, but some people have been complaining that their new SP101-22s have badly canted barrels. Mine is slightly canted, making the rear sight needing to be adjusted off center. It doesnt effect accuracy, but if its really canted badly, then you run out of adjustment on the rear sight. The S&Ws also have had problems with canted barrels, so check that if you get a Model 63, or 317.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you're considering a SD handgun, think about upgrading to a .38. It will be much more effective if ever needed.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Plus one. I have the same two LCRs, after considering the SP-101s. The 22 trigger pull was initially pretty stuff, but has lightened and smoothed over 600 rounds. The .22 SP-101 has a reputation for a heavy trigger that doesn't get much better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought my wife a SP101 4.2" 357 for Valentines last year. She loves the balance and it fits her small hands. It also comes with target sights. I did pay $25 to have the trigger smoothed out and now it shoots like a dream using 38's in it. I have read where the Sp101 in a 22 lr is a very nice revolver also. In 22 lr I shoot a S&W 17 6" and I really love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts