Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not many people carry a .22 pistol for CCW and I don't know why. If I was a burglar and got shot with a .22 that surely would make me stop doing what I was doing and get the heck out.
How about some reasons why it's not a good carry.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Supposedly rimfires are more susceptible to malfunctions such as light strikes, stovepiping, and ejection problems. I have had a few cartridges not go bang because of light strikes. Triggers on 22 revolvers can be very heavy which can impact accuracy.
Having said that, I would not want to get shot by one, so a 22 can be an effective cartridge to put an end to a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
258 Posts
A lot depends on how big the attacker is, is the attacker on heavy drugs such as meth, is the attacker wearing thick winter cloths. Yes a .22 can stop some if not most intruders especially if you completely unload a full mag into them.

Have you fired a .22 pistol sufficiently to know it will fire each and every time with the ammo you are using?

I’ll carry my LCPII .22 but I would not carry my Walther PPK/S in .22. While the PPK/S is a fun shooter, I encounter a few too many issues to be comfortable as a CCW.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
I have carried one before because I wanted a pocket option. The reliability concern is valid so the other option is center fire calibers. Effectiveness is also a valid concern. Iowegan’s momentum chart might help in evaluating your options.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have a 9mm for SD (EC9s). In the evening, it's on the desk; when I sleep, it's on the bedside table. If I have to go into town, it rides in my pocket. It did today. No one in the grocery seemed to notice.

But I also own a .22 (see user name) and want to buy a Mark IV. Would I carry it to town (I mean, this is a really, really small town) for SD? Probably not.

Would I hesitate to use it for SD in camp if someone was cutting into my tent at night? Not for a second.

I'd shoot for the face with the entire mag. .22 would do a number on eyes.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,055 Posts
The purpose of a defensive carry sidearm is to stop a threat. The liability you bear for every bullet fired, as well as the need to neutralize the threat quickly, combine to make the case for the most effective stopping round. Any firearm is better than nothing, but a reasonable person will use the best tool available. Neither the .500 S&W or the .22lr is optimal.

·
Super Moderator
21,427 Posts
The problem with a 22 is you may stop the threat but it may not be before he kills you. In a situation where you adrenaline is flowing like water and you are pumped up like a Macy's parade balloon having to calmly shoot someone in the eye socket puts you at a yuge disadvantage. Get a caliber you can shoot center mass and stop the threat.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Two people have mentioned adrenaline and drug effects making someone not stop with a .22. The reality is that those scenarios apply with a .45 as well. I've said it many times and I'll say it again; presentation stops most threats; bright flash/loud bang stops most that go beyond that whether you hit the assailant or not. Pain from a wound is minimally different, though transfer of energy is. A .22 with proper shot placement is a kill. A .45 with poor shot placement may be just as ineffective as a .22 with a hit in the same area. Pain will cause shock (outside of the adrenaline/drug argument) in either case.

NOW, I carry a 9mm or a .45ACP, but if .22LR was all I had available, I would carry that. I recommend carrying the largest caliber you can comfortably carry AND shoot well. If 22LR is that caliber, then that is what you should carry.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
To discuss possible life and death defense of self and family with comments about what a person would not want to be hit with makes no sense to me. There are no comparisons between these situations. If you knew you would possibly die today from a criminal, would you choose a 22 or a 9mm to fight? Hitting a bobbing head under pressure is a joke. Why not just shoot the weapon out of his hand?? Lots of people have died from 22 bullets and from many other things in life but should we choose this option? If we want to go with the most minimal defensive tool just carry a can of hornet spray. Yes, a 22 may be enough but what if you are wrong and it is not enough?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I recommend carrying the largest caliber you can comfortably carry AND shoot well. If 22LR is that caliber, then that is what you should carry.
Agreed. And so does my wife. LCR in 22lr for her. I gave her numerous opportunities at higher calibers in both revolver and semi auto. She made her choice and I am good with it because she is carrying the largest caliber she is comfortable with and she does shoot it very well.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,055 Posts
Mafia used 22's for decades and still do.

Personally I think they have their place for SD as does any weapon
The Mossad used the .22lr very effectively also. Mafia hit men and assassins cooly whacking their targets are a far cry from an armed citizen defending themselves in an unexpected situation. Use what you want/ have available/ can handle. The best tool for the job will likely have a bore between 0.35" and 0.45" in diameter.

·
Super Moderator
21,427 Posts
Two people have mentioned adrenaline and drug effects making someone not stop with a .22. The reality is that those scenarios apply with a .45 as well. I've said it many times and I'll say it again; presentation stops most threats; bright flash/loud bang stops most that go beyond that whether you hit the assailant or not. Pain from a wound is minimally different, though transfer of energy is. A .22 with proper shot placement is a kill. A .45 with poor shot placement may be just as ineffective as a .22 with a hit in the same area. Pain will cause shock (outside of the adrenaline/drug argument) in either case.

NOW, I carry a 9mm or a .45ACP, but if .22LR was all I had available, I would carry that. I recommend carrying the largest caliber you can comfortably carry AND shoot well. If 22LR is that caliber, then that is what you should carry.
A centermass doubletap hit with a 45 ACP will be a lot more discouraging to a meth head than a 22 with the same hits.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Shoot what you’re proficient with. I hear a lot of “what if’s” going on in this thread......no one can predict what, when or how anything’s gonna go down. Recently in some city I wil not name, 3 cops shot a total of 34 rounds only to hit the person 8 times.

So much for being proficient...........,

1 - 20 of 43 Posts