Ruger Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can chime in on experience with the SW Victory. First of all it will cycle almost everything, but it likes CCI Mini Mags the best, never seems to have feed issues with it.
Second, like most 22s it likes to be clean. It is easy to break down and clean, but it does require a couple of hex keys to take it down.
I have also had some instances where my grip has engaged the safety inadvertently.
It is a target oriented gun, and is a bit heavy compared to something like the M&P 22 compact. There is lots of stuff to trick out this pistol from TandemKross and Volquartsen (sp?) like most internal parts, barrels, sights etc. I think TandemKross has a new safety lever that helps with the unintended engagement issue I mentioned.

You may want to check out 22plinksters YouTube channel, he has reviewed many rimfire guns. As with all YouTube reviews you have to take it with a grain of salt, as he makes his living reviewing stuff, so he may be gentle on any faults. However, you do get to see how they operate and break down and such in the hands of a very good shooter.

I do not have much experience with other rimfire pistols beyond a few magazines fired on friends guns.
Smith is supposed to have good customer service as well, but I understand no one is as good as Ruger when you have a problem. Knock on wood, so far I have never had a guns I could not sort out, but I tend to be deliberate in choosing them and don't mind paying for something that seems to be of better quality.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
First of all it will cycle almost everything, but it likes CCI Mini Mags the best, never seems to have feed issues with it.
I think that could be said about almost any .22lr pistol. My MkIV has occasional problems with Federal Automatch, Browning 22, Winchester Super X but is 100% reliable with CCI Mini Mags.

·
Cat Herder
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I can't tell if you all are making things better or worse. I almost feel like the devil on one shoulder is saying "just buy them all" and the angel on the other "well, just buy a couple of them."

My wife is a non-shooter and has one rule- it has to fit in my cabinet, which happens to be low on space. I'm really leaning towards the SW22 Victory - threaded stainless bull barrel, fiber optic sights, lifetime warranty (in my experience S&W CS is equal to Rugers, although I've also had great results with Taurus), and only $320 at my LGS.

I'm avoiding revolvers- I have a great DA/SA and a great SA, and honestly I don't like rimfire revolvers, triggers are too heavy, loading on SA is too slow, and DA tends to run into issues at 100-150 rounds with grit under the extractor causing it to bind up (at least in my experience).

·
Premium Member
13,950 Posts
The Mark IV is a great shooter.
Also take a look at the Ruger Charger as an option.

·
Cat Herder
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The Mark IV is a great shooter.
Also take a look at the Ruger Charger as an option.
I had a Charger. I think I'd describe it as a stockless rifle over a pistol. Now if someone actually made a Tec-9 looking pistol that took 10/22 mags that worked, I'd be all over that, but I think Xcel (?) either is out of business or not making their 10/22 mag based pistol and reviews seem consistently to be "looks cool but that's it."

·
One Star
9,631 Posts
I have four Mark IV's,Standard,Hunter,22/45 & Competition. Now I want the S&W .22 Victory threaded.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I have three 22 pistols, Beretta Neos, Ruger MK II, Taurus TX 22. I don't care for the Beretta, no big reason just never took a shine to it. Love my MKII until I disassemble it and try to put it together. But it is a great shooter and never fails. My Taurus TX22 is a great gun. I bought it a month or so ago and I have well over 500 round through it. Just fun to shoot. The Ruger is more accurate but a 16 round mag dump is hard to beat. I paid $279 + tax for mine and sent in all the stuff for the $50 rebate. The TX is very light, it is mostly plastic including the mags. I have no idea how well it hold over the decades but
I am happy with it.

·
Cat Herder
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well my local Rural King had the TX22 in stock, asked if they'd price match Uncle Lee's (a subsidiary of Buds), assumed the answer was no. Oops.

Now I have a TX22 for $253 before tax, with a $50 rebate waiting in the mail box. Now for my kids to be better so I can actually leave the house for more than an hour or so at a time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I think that you first should decide if you want a revolver or and auto loading pistol. Once you accomplish that your field will be narrowed enough to make your decision easier. Don’t ignore the used market because you might be able to pick up a more expensive model for less than your budget.

·
Cat Herder
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I think that you first should decide if you want a revolver or and auto loading pistol. Once you accomplish that your field will be narrowed enough to make your decision easier. Don’t ignore the used market because you might be able to pick up a more expensive model for less than your budget.
I had narrowed it down to semiauto. I was struggling to pick between plinker and target, and even within those options there are a lot to choose from. At just over $200, the Taurus was worth checking out.

·
Banned
195 Posts
First of all what is your purpose for purchase. These are all different pistols for different skills. You want a target pistol, a hunter, or a gun for fast action point and shoot skills similar to what you carry?

Sr22 is a nice Little trainer for carry guns. Mine has been exceptionally reliable for years, have owed on since they first came out. The Taurus is a really nice gun as well and know of at least 5 folks from my club that have not had any issues at all. Typical internet gossip starts with one poster with a problem and then Parroted talk snowballs like crazy.

The Ruger IV and the Smith will be totally opinionated. Both having pros and cons. Personally I do not want a heavy gun for a trainer. Makes no sense if you do not carry a big gun.
And there are a lot of other 22.cals to choose from. Some of the 1911's are fun as heck.
And want real fun? Develop a lot of great fast action shooting and totally reliable? Get a LCR22.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have a Mk II HB that is nearly 30 years old. Never jammed, never mis-fired. Any .22 LR ammo. Never failed to shoot better than I can. Had a red dot put on it last year after I had my eyes fixed. Still shoots where I point it. I'd buy a Mk IV if I thought I needed it, but ATM, I don't. Ruger .22 autos are the best.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts