Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I have no experience with lead build up in a 22 bore. But every now and again you hear of it. My question is. I shoot CCI SV a Lot and have recently switched to Federal Auto Match these two have a lubed lead bullet. I have also shot a lot of bulk federal 550 with the copper coating on them. I never shoot Remington. The lead bullets with out the coating on them, as anyone heard of them leading up a barrel ? I like the lesser velocity stuff for accuracy or is the copper coated best ?

Thanks

·
Registered
673 Posts
I haven't had any leading issues with the ammo you've listed above, shot through my 10/22, MKIII's, and any other .22lr firearm I own.

The only ammo that leaded up a bore was Remington Thunderbolt LRN. Within a few mags, rounds were keyholing on target. I cleaned it using solvent, a tornado brush, patches, another solvent pass, a regular phosphor bronze brush pass, then patches.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Both the copper washed and the lead 22LRs will lead up a barrel. The copper washing on 22LR HV bullets is not equivalent to the copper plating found on centerfire or 22 mag bullets in terms of preventing leading. The thin copper wash on HV 22 LRs may help a bit, but it just isn't thick enough to do much in this regard, compared to copper plated bullets. Leading is a potential issue no matter what 22 LR ammo you shoot. Barrel quality can also have an effect on how quickly lead builds up.

Typically, though, it's the powder residue and a bit of leading that builds up in the chamber after a lot of shooting that starts to cause problems in rimfire shooting. When you start to have chambering and extraction problems, you know it's time to break out the cleaning rod or bore snake. Will happen no matter what 22 LR ammo you shoot, some a little quicker than others, but it will happen. Cheap ammo is typically the worst offender.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
North County Girl, Thats sounds reasonable. Maybe I have never had leading issues because I usually clean my bore after every use. I usually run a wet-ed patch with CLP through it then a dry one. Recently started using the patch worm method. Very seldom use a brush.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
North County Girl, Thats sounds reasonable. Maybe I have never had leading issues because I usually clean my bore after every use. I usually run a wet-ed patch with CLP through it then a dry one. Recently started using the patch worm method. Very seldom use a brush.
If you're cleaning after every use, leading should not be an issue, so use any ammo you want. Keep in mind that some rimfire shooters actually clean the bore as little as possible, especially competition shooters. Going from a clean bore to a dirty bore can actually have an effect on group size, so, for the sake of consistency, one match to the next, the bore will often be left dirty. Since I'm an old, well past my prime accuracy nut, I don't clean after every use, either, but I'm always vigilant as to when things are getting a bit too dirty for good functioning. My only caveat when cleaning after every use is to use a bore guide/good procedure or whatever it takes to protect the crown area.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I have always used CCI SV.
Minimal leading, easy cleaning.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've heard very good things about CCI Mini-Mags w/ regard to leading ... or more appropriately, a notable lack thereof. Can anyone confirm this? I usually shoot cheap Federal bulk ammo in the 10/22, but when blasting through 500+ rounds the lead does tend to build up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Anyone had leading issues with .22 long rifle, Blazer 40 gr solid lead tip bullets. Spoke to Ruger yesterday. They recommended a non lead bullet. TKU

·
Registered
197 Posts
Anyone had leading issues with .22 long rifle, Blazer 40 gr solid lead tip bullets. Spoke to Ruger yesterday. They recommended a non lead bullet. TKU
All I shoot is Blazer now.

I put a big box thur my 10/22 one afternoon and had lead residue (metal)forming at the muzzle:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
CCI Blazer will lead up my SR22 a bit and start keyholing. If I shoot some copper plated rounds after, it usually cleans up the bore nicely. My Bersa Thunder 22 hated lead bullets. My MKIII 22/45 and 10/22 have no problems with lead bullets. I clean after every range trip.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Shot thousands of CCI Blazers through my Marks. Very reliable, accurate, and inexpensive, but very waxy. I started experimenting with different brands, bullets, etc., and finally opted to start using Federal Auto-Match. Very clean, reliable, and very accurate, but about 10% more money than CCI.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I use CCI Mini Mags or Federal Auto Match and have had no issues. I rarely clean until I think I need to. I almost never need to use a brush. The only round I ever had a real problem with was Rem Thunderbolts which I never use anymore (gave a bunch to my sister so she could practice cleaning - that is what brothers are for).

·
Registered
12 Posts
One day i shot about 200 rounds of the remington lead bullets through my SR22. I ended up with a good size lead chunk in the barrel, and a few fte's. first time I'd ever had an issue with this gun. I won't shoot them again.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I use CCI Mini Mags or Federal Auto Match and have had no issues. I rarely clean until I think I need to. I almost never need to use a brush. The only round I ever had a real problem with was Rem Thunderbolts which I never use anymore (gave a bunch to my sister so she could practice cleaning - that is what brothers are for).
What a guy! :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use J and B non embedding bore compound every so often. I use it on all my .22s and even my pellet gun once in a while. I had a conversation with a guy who used a .22 cmmg conversion kit on his AR and he said after 3000 rounds he found a bulge in his barrel! He said he couldn't figure out what it was.

After every 1000 rounds i run a patch with some of the J and B. That, or a patch cut out of a lead away cloth. It won't hurt the gun and might help remove a lot of the lead (or at least the excess).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts