Ruger Forum banner

.22 mag cylinder

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ihriec 
#1 ·
I see pictures of the New Model Single Six with the mag cylinder having no flutes. Both of my cylinders are fluted.
My serial # starts with 62-xxxx
Did Ruger make non fluted cylinders for the Single Six.
What does XR3 Red frame mean?
Thanks

#2 ·
Some people prefer the non-fluted cylinders. My Single Six Convertible has a fluted 22LR cylinder and a non-fluted 22WMR cylinder.

XR3 Red is a slightly re-designed grip frame for the Blackhawk-series of SA guns.

#5 ·
As mentioned, there have been fluted mag cylinders over the years, but the non-fluted are by far the most common.

Our new Talo Single Six Cowboy, though, came with a fluted 22 mag cylinder, just to be a little different. It is also stamped with an M for magnum, a nice little touch and something I haven't seen, before.

#8 ·
Fluted Mag cylinders were produced for old and new models until 1976. Then Ruger switched to non fluted. Fluted and non-fluted cylinders for old and new models are interchangeable. Stainless fluted mag cylinders are the hardest to find because they were only produced from 1973 until 1976.

The XR3-Red size grip frames are used on old and new model single sixes, blackhawks and 5 1/2" and shorter super BHs. This shows the size difference:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.