Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the 22 mag has a lot of penetrating power in a single six does it have stopping power as well from a 2-3" barrell? Was thinking of a small da/sa for the wife . She is not afraid of larger bores but wants a lite carry for a door pocket or console weapon and or for diff. activities, kayaking ,biking and hiking.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I carry a NAA PUG in .22mag as a secondary weapon in a pocket holster.
It is loaded with Speer Gold Dot 40 grain short barrel rifle.
I managed to buy several boxes of it last year but have not seen
it available for some time.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
I have an LCR 22 mag that I alternate with my SP101 357.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
One of my carry weapons is a Ruger .22Mag LCR I carry Hornady Critical Defense 45 grain FTX bullet. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
It is what it is. Don't expect 357Mag stopping power or to play enough mind games with yourself to convince yourself that it will.

Conventional wisdom says that the 380ACP is the minimal caliber for self defense.

The smaller the caliber the better you have to be a bullet placement. There's plenty of stories about guys with multiple 9mm body shots that kept going.

IMHO: if you're serious about self defense and have thought it through then pick the tool that will get the job done and learn how to use it. It's only your life we're talking about.

Ammo makers only make self defense .22anything based on what sells, not on what works.

If, for some reason, you can't give up .22M then you damn well better practice A LOT and I mean A LOT (see line 3).

·
Registered
982 Posts
Not my 1st, 2nd, 3rd or even 4th choice but beats fists, feet and foul language. And hits with minor calibers hurt a loss worse than Misses with Majors.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Not my 1st, 2nd, 3rd or even 4th choice but beats fists, feet and foul language. And hits with minor calibers hurt a loss worse than Misses with Majors.
Well of course. That's why you practice, but I submit that IMHO, a poor hit or two, or more, with a minor caliber will not stop somebody and only give the owner a false sense of security that will defeat a proper sense of scared.

·
Cat Herder
1,656 Posts
I carry my LCR 22 WMR because I figure that a non-shooter (aka my wife) need to, they can at least fire it without dropping it. I also reasoned that my main purpose with a CCW is to convince a potential attacker to let myself, wife, and daughter get away. Even a 22 WMR is going to probably dissuade someone from pursuing you. I would never use it as defense of my home.

I keep mine loaded with Speer gold dots. The test results I've seen indicate greater than 12" penetration and consiatent expansion to .32 or better. That works for me. Plus, I'm consistently getting 3" groups for 24 rounds at 7 yards, no rest used.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the input,I have shot thru a 6 inch Popular with a single six I am not sure a 380, 32 or 25 will do that . I dont ever remember a 22 mag not firing reckon its a higher quality round ? It has always supprised me how many people have one of those little pocket shooters in 22 mag.
Have only managed to find one box of shells in the past 5/6 months .
Well lets go to work and see what we can find surveying today .
"keeper tween the ditches"
Mike

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
I'd rather carry a 22mag than a 380 but that's just me. Cue all the folks that carry 380's. I think a 380 is inadequate as a defensive caliber but properly loaded a 22mag is tolerably acceptable.

·
Super Moderator
21,673 Posts
Will a 22 mag stop a perp, sure but how long will it take? I would rather see my wife carrying a 38 SPL lightly loaded with W/C's than a 22 mag. A 148 gr bullet trumps a 40 gr all the time. If you calculate momentum or even Taylor KO you can see the momentum is twice as much with the 38 and has a KO of more than triple the 22 mag.

I wouldn't plan on a perp wetting his pants and running away if you draw down on him. My thoughts are if you draw then your life is in danger, bang.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I wish I could get my wife to carry a 38 Spl. We've tried over the years and even had a range instructor spend some time with her but she suffers severely from anxiety and nervousness, and add to that her small frame at 5'1 doesn't help much either. We did try lighter loads and she can usually get one good shot and then follow up shots go all over the place. This was with a snub nose carry revolver (J frame). I've tried different frame 38 spl revolvers and the only one she can actually shoot well is the GP100 but it's much too big for her to conceal carry. And believe me you don't want to see her with a 357 J frame, it's scary.

If not for the 22lr or 22 mag she'd probably not carry at all.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Like we all learned when we took our classes for our CCW permit, it's shot placement that's key. It don't matter if you're carrying a .44 Mag, if the shot placement is poor or lacking all together, the BG isn't going to be stopped.

The only good experiences I've had with the .22WMR has been from rifles and carbines. As for handguns I have had nothing but bad experiences with the one I used to own. It was an original NAA Mini. Not the long barreled model or the ones with the comfy oversized grips. The original. I hated firing that thing on the range. The back of the spur trigger would always bang the heck out of my middle finger. I know it's kind of weird thinking of the idea of a rimfire having an annoying recoil, but with a gun as lightweight as that is, the recoil is certainly there. And then there was the accuracy or should I say lack of. I have NEVER seen a gun as inaccurate as it. I have seen smoothbore BP pistols that are more accurate. I'm getting a headache just thinking about it right now!

Anyways, that's my experiences. I'm sure there's plenty of decent NAA Minis out there, but as far as mine goes, it was a total lemon.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
A .22M in something like one of the NAA mini revolvers will gain you significant cost over
the .22lr, but little else. A one inch barrel does not provide enough length to realize the
increased potential over the .22lr.

Get up to a two inch barrel, and you gain a bit, but not much. By the time you get to a
four inch barrel, the mag begins to show its stuff; but by that time, you could be using
a much more effective caliber. ;)

You mentioned the availability of .22m ammo and I urge you to keep that in mind.
Even the .380 is now MUCH easier to find than .22m.

Several have mentioned the LCR as an option; I agree. If your wife is really set against
a larger caliber, at least for now, a .22lr in the LCR is a fine and fun revolver to shoot.
Once you have one of those, she may come to think about larger calibers. Move up to
an LCR in 9mm and everything she has learned with the .22 moves with her. I'll note
that I prefer the LCR in 9mm over the .38Sp because the 9mm develops its energy
faster than the .38 AND with no more recoil. The LCR in .357Mag generates far too
much fury for most people to become effective with.

I suggest you also look at several of the 9mm semi-autos. Kel Tec has some
inexpensive ones that work well (not really fun to shoot, but they work). Tarus has a
newer model in the PT111 M2 (if you get one, make SURE it is the M2) that is the very
same size as the Kel Tec PF9, but is a whole lot more fun to shoot (about $250).

Your wife, your money; pick the gun/caliber combination that makes HER happiest. ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I will never carry a .22 for PD . Right now my minimum CC is a 9mm or my .45ACP. If I had to go smaller the smallest I would even consider would be a .380 .

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
You ask a single question then get thousands of different answers! But one thing that does remain constant big time is bullet placement. So if you are packing a .44 magnum and miss and a calmly placed shot to vital area with a .22 magnum is placed and the perp drops bingo!! I pack one of 2 LCR's either a .38 Special or a .22 Magnum I feel very protected with either nuff said!!!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I think some forget the OP was asking this question for his wife. What we carry and our own personal opinion on what someone else should carry may be completely different than what she needs. I learn this from trying to find the right gun for my own wife.

There are a lot of good videos on YouTube showing that the 22 mag is capable for what she may be needing it for. As I mentioned earlier rounds out there are now specifically developed and designed for self-defense through snubs. This isn't the same 22 mag stuff from 15-20 years ago.

Here's one from a 22 mag LCR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP41nm6o2LI

Some shooting from a 22 mag Charter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_3slqQmvjQ

Hornady 45 gr Critical Defense from a NAA Mini-Revolver (1 1/8" barrel)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS_KS1U3aBk

22 Mag ballistic shooting from a S&W 351
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfG1FxiUNBQ

·
Registered
415 Posts
What about the LCR in 327 Fed Mag? It can shoot an assortment of different ammo. Others will hopefully opine, but the 32 long colts out of it are likened to mouse farts. I've only shot 327 Fed Mags out of mine, and they kick with authority. But with the assortment of ammo available you might find something with tolerable recoil and perhaps better stopping power.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts