Ruger Forum banner

.22 Magnum ammo for CCW ?'s

4K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Goldenpony 
#1 ·
Well just found a NIB for sale by ower Ruger LCR .22 Magnum. Now I am wondering what is a good load for a defensive round in .22 Mag. I have the CCI 30 grain HP also the 40 grain & 50 grain HP's Whats a good load in .22 Magnum guys?? Appreciate comments & or suggestions thx !!!:D;)

#15 ·
Sure , the .22 mag would not be most people's choice for self defence but I wouldn't under estimate the power of this caliber at close range. And hey it's gotta be better than nothin.:)

#5 ·
LN I don't believe that statement but no matter my situation is wanting another gun not concerned if it is a revolver or semi-auto. What I didn't want to have to do is ad another caliber with a .380 I would have to do this. I have firearms in .22 Magnum and several box's of ammo. A listing popped up on this Ruger LCR in .22 magnum, NIB the owner bought 2 of them and is keeping one. Put the other gun up for sale. I have the ammo the holsters for my current LCR plus a pocket holster its a win win for me. So I am going to pick it up tomorrow! Besides its better to have a gun vs no gun at all and I feel better protected with a .22 Magnum vs a .22LR!

#8 ·
I carry my NAA PUG .22 WMR quite often, and it's loaded with Hornady Critical Defense.

I don't know if Hornady is "superior" to the Gold Dot or not, just that my Dad has a case of the Hornady Critical Defense he bought to use on Groundhogs out of his .22 WMR rifle.........and he gave me a couple boxes, it passed the "test fire" into a railroad tie in the back yard , it fired reliably and accurately so I went with it.

I highly recommend the .22 Mag NAA PUG to all my friends looking for a deep concealment gun, that thing carries as easily as a Zippo lighter and has an actual usable grip.

.22 WMR, no, it's not a "manstopper" but at bad breath distances I feel it will serve well as a "get off me" gun.

Even out of a short barrel .22 WMR will certainly ruin a bad guy's day, even if the gel tests don't show any real advantage from a 1"-2" barrel over a hot .22 LR like a Stinger.......IMO the dedicated defensive loads in .22 WMR from Hornady and Speer are at least the most reliable option. These are high priced (for .22 WMR) "premium" loads, and these companies take extra care to use premium primers and powders in them........customers don't look highly upon defensive ammo that fails to go "bang".

#13 ·
I've used this load out of my Single-Six. Accurate and hits hard/expands well.

#18 · (Edited)
This is a timely thread for me. My wife and I are looking at getting a .22 mag LCR for her carry piece. She only likes revolvers and is recoil shy. Seems like this would fit the bill just fine. Resarching .22WMR for self defense purposes, I found an interesting video that convinced me that .22WMR would suffice as long as you use the correct round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP41nm6o2LI

Hornady also puts out a video touting it's Critical Defense ammo in .22WMR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3opMF8iqC5k

#21 ·
I know that there are better rounds for self defense purpose's but I watch Jeff Quinns take on the Ruger LCR .22 magnum. He has tested in the Jell media that the .22 Magnum will penetrate just as far as the .38 Special does about 13 inch's. I was going to buy the Sig P238 .380 had one lined up. But I didn't want to have to start another caliber again! I already had two .22 magnum guns a rifle and a SA revolver. This NIB Ruger LCR .22 Mag for sale by owner popped up suddenly & I bought it. In fact its going in my pocket today! All is good!!!

#22 ·
In my youth on the farm when it came time to butcher hogs, full grown cows we only used a LR 22 in a remington pump. One shot to the head always did the job immediately. If it was the only hand gun I had LR or Magnum .22 would go with me. I think bullet placement for most shooters using a .22 would be better and follow up shots would be quicker. Take it with you and have a good day!

#23 ·
I wouldn't hesitate to carry a 22WMR for defense-especially with some good defense ammo.

#25 ·
Look it up. The .22LR round has killed more people than any other round on the planet. Surprise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.