Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My usual lineup is to take 1 .22 rifle + 1 .22 handgun (+1 airgun when .22 lr gets scarce). The RAR is new & my 1st bolt action .22 lr. It shoots very well even with the small scope, which also lets you sight underneath to use the factory installed Williams fiber optic sights. I was definitely having a bad shooting day. With the bipod I can do much better than the targets show. Funny, my 1st rounds from each magazine were hitting bullseyes, the getting progressively worse. I think what may happen is you get fixated on a "perfect" score, and just tense up.

A great shooting day until the final 20 minutes. One guy called a cease fire just to go downrange & look at targets. Not replace them or put dots on, just to look at them. I keep an 8X monocular scope in my range bag & I've lent it to others. Then a group of 5 people came with just 15 minutes left. Someone yelled over that there's only 15 minutes left, but they said "We know." So they call a cease fire with 12 minutes left to go set up targets. That's kind of rude to the other shooters, but apparently didn't seem so to them. They shot up to the final horn blow & looked shocked, like what, they can't finish their magazines? NO! When the horn blows, that's it, all guns down, no exceptions!
IMG_20210718_143534.jpg
IMG_20210718_155554 (1).jpg
IMG_20210718_155554.jpg

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice pics. Always glad to hear from owners of their R/A rimfires. Been having a blast with my 22 mag.Compact. Nicer since I added the standard stock module for L.O.P. A Vortex scope and a sling makes for a great woods varmint gun.
I wouldn't mind having one in .22 Mag or .17 Hornady. Mine came with another stock module - same LOP, but higher comb height.

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR, + 10/22 Sporter
1,693 Posts
I wouldn't mind having one in .22 Mag or .17 Hornady. Mine came with another stock module - same LOP, but higher comb height.
Got the same rifle as you, but with a bigger scope, and the heavy barreled .17HMR. Love em both, your .22lr will definitely outshoot the scope you have on it. BTW, did a paint job on my stock.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the same rifle as you, but with a bigger scope, and the heavy barreled .17HMR. Love em both, your .22lr will definitely outshoot the scope you have on it. BTW, did a paint job on my stock.

View attachment 157081
Nice stock! Awesome contrast of desert tan & black. Is that for your .22 or .17 ? Wanna trade?? The magazine well is probably larger for the .17 Hornady.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A day at the range with some .22's sounds wonderful!
It was. I shot for 2 hours total. I definitely need more practice on my RAR .22lr. I shot better with my 10/22 last time out, and with no bipod or benchrest! But it did have a much better Weaver scope.

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR, + 10/22 Sporter
1,693 Posts
Nice stock! Awesome contrast of desert tan & black. Is that for your .22 or .17 ? Wanna trade?? The magazine well is probably larger for the .17 Hornady.
That's the .22lr, it's a black stock with a $3.67 dessert tan paint job. The .17HMR came from the factory od green, think it's like a model 8336 with heavy barrel, and yes, it has a larger mag well.. Here it is new, and after paint. ;)

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
My usual lineup is to take 1 .22 rifle + 1 .22 handgun (+1 airgun when .22 lr gets scarce). The RAR is new & my 1st bolt action .22 lr. It shoots very well even with the small scope, which also lets you sight underneath to use the factory installed Williams fiber optic sights. I was definitely having a bad shooting day. With the bipod I can do much better than the targets show. Funny, my 1st rounds from each magazine were hitting bullseyes, the getting progressively worse. I think what may happen is you get fixated on a "perfect" score, and just tense up.

A great shooting day until the final 20 minutes. One guy called a cease fire just to go downrange & look at targets. Not replace them or put dots on, just to look at them. I keep an 8X monocular scope in my range bag & I've lent it to others. Then a group of 5 people came with just 15 minutes left. Someone yelled over that there's only 15 minutes left, but they said "We know." So they call a cease fire with 12 minutes left to go set up targets. That's kind of rude to the other shooters, but apparently didn't seem so to them. They shot up to the final horn blow & looked shocked, like what, they can't finish their magazines? NO! When the horn blows, that's it, all guns down, no exceptions!
View attachment 157067 View attachment 157068 View attachment 157069
Puttin' the pressure on me to bring my "A" game ... I see ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts