Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would it be ok to shoot 22 shorts on a wrangler, or just stick with LR?
thanks
joe

·
Registered
942 Posts
The shorts I have are pretty loud but you will have more fouling in the cylinder than LR. You are not gaining any advantage doing so either. If I want quieter rounds I go with CB long ammo.

·
Super Moderator
4,079 Posts
Agree, you will create a fouling ring in the chamber just like shooting .38 special in a .357 mag cylinder. Also, shorts are typically “more expensive than LR’s but of course individual examples will vary greatly. Are you looking for quiet, less power, or is that what is currently available in your area?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was gifted about a dozen boxes of Winchester .22 shorts years ago and shot them in a H&R revolver. They shot really well for 25 yrd and under plinking. The cylinder fouling others have spoken of is not really a big problem if you do your normal cleaning and maintenance. A good cleaning solution and a barrel brush will do the trick. No big issue ... so if you have the ammo, just enjoy shooting it. I wouldn't really seek it out if good LR ammo is available.

Also my old school Winchester single shot rifle loves shorts.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Your Wrangler is capable of shooting shorts, longs and long rifle. As noted by others, keeping the cylinders clean is important.

I picked up a bunch of CCI shorts during the last 22 famine because that's all I could find. They are very accurate from my Single Ten and Henry lever. Shorts are my go to ammo for plinking cans or clays out at the farm.

I haven't had any problems with a crud ring. I clean after every outing, so that probably keeps it at bay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.
I just had a few boxes of shorts around. They were my go-to round in my model 69 Winchester for plucking out gophers.
Now I just need to put a little orange paint in the front sight so I can see it.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Try 'em out,your Wrangler will be able to handle it. All kidding aside if you don't try them you will never know if that is the perfect ammo for that weapon. The accuracy of the 22 short may surprise you. With the way the current ammo drought is going we may all be dipping into our collective stashes sooner than later.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
I've used them for plinking. They were available at a reasonable price so I bought a few hundred. Just clean the cylinder good after using them. I've shot them in a single shot Rossi rifle for a few years. If quiet is not an issue then by all means, shoot em up.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Agree, you will create a fouling ring in the chamber just like shooting .38 special in a .357 mag cylinder. Also, shorts are typically “more expensive than LR’s but of course individual examples will vary greatly. Are you looking for quiet, less power, or is that what is currently available in your area?
Shorts now days appear to be more expensive. Maybe not in the past.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
You can shoot 22 Shorts , Longs , Long Rifle , CB Cap , BB Cap, Blanks and 22 Shot Shells in a Wrangler ... I've done it ... clean the gun and cylinders after shooting ...leave no residue .
That's the beauty of a 22 bolt action rifle or revolver ... your not stuck shooting only 22 LR .
Cleaning a gun will not hurt you ...just do it after every range trip ... everything will be just fine and dandy!
There may be a few more 22's you can shoot that I've forgotten about ...have fun with the Wrangler !
Gary

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Shorts now days appear to be more expensive. Maybe not in the past.
In the old days you collected up soda bottles on Saturday morning , turned them in to the grocery store for the 2 cent deposit , next stop was hardware store ...The owner sold ammo one at a time ... 22 short was two for 1 cent , 22 longs were 1 cent each and 22 LR was 2 cents each ...Nobody had enough money to buy a whole box ... I liked to shoot so I bought shorts ... so did most everybody else ...it killed the City Dump rats OK with a well placed head shot . Taught you marksmanship for squirrel hunting .
I was in Jr. High School earning money mowing lawns before I was flush enough to buy my first whole box of 50 rounds ... I was in High Cotten then !
Those summer mornings we spent in the Amazon Jungle (dump) hunting those man eating Tigers (rats) were sure a lot of fun !
Gary

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
In the old days you collected up soda bottles on Saturday morning , turned them in to the grocery store for the 2 cent deposit , next stop was hardware store ...The owner sold ammo one at a time ... 22 short was two for 1 cent , 22 longs were 1 cent each and 22 LR was 2 cents each ...Nobody had enough money to buy a whole box ... I liked to shoot so I bought shorts ... so did most everybody else ...it killed the City Dump rats OK with a well placed head shot . Taught you marksmanship for squirrel hunting .
I was in Jr. High School earning money mowing lawns before I was flush enough to buy my first whole box of 50 rounds ... I was in High Cotten then !
Those summer mornings we spent in the Amazon Jungle (dump) hunting those man eating Tigers (rats) were sure a lot of fun !
Gary
Did the exact same thing...collecting cans and bottles for ammo money. We were even able to convert some of the squirrel tails we collected into ammo by selling to MEPPS. Shorts were always the cheapest, but we had to get one of our Moms to buy it from the hardware store.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can shoot 22 Shorts , Longs , Long Rifle , CB Cap , BB Cap, Blanks and 22 Shot Shells in a Wrangler ... I've done it ... clean the gun and cylinders after shooting ...leave no residue .
That's the beauty of a 22 bolt action rifle ...
I picked up four 100 rd boxes of CCI CB-Caps at a gun show awhile back and what fun they are. I made a little mini range of about 20 yrd in my backyard. I bought rack of cheap plastic poker chips at a yard sale ... a hundred each red/white/blue chips. The CB would bust them up with ease and made less "bark" than my friends high-end pellet rifle. I would buy all the CBs I could find these days.

I remember shooting BB-Caps off my grandfathers porch with same single shot Winchester I have today. But I haven't seen any BB-Caps in fifty years. Often called "gallery loads" for indoor ranges, carnivals and I remember shooting them at a side show game at the West Virginia State Fair .... all my money went to these games ... Ok, maybe a few hotdogs too.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I picked up four 100 rd boxes of CCI CB-Caps at a gun show awhile back and what fun they are. I made a little mini range of about 20 yrd in my backyard. I bought rack of cheap plastic poker chips at a yard sale ... a hundred each red/white/blue chips. The CB would bust them up with ease and made less "bark" than my friends high-end pellet rifle. I would buy all the CBs I could find these days.

I remember shooting BB-Caps off my grandfathers porch with same single shot Winchester I have today. But I haven't seen any BB-Caps in fifty years. Often called "gallery loads" for indoor ranges, carnivals and I remember shooting them at a side show game at the West Virginia State Fair .... all my money went to these games ... Ok, maybe a few hotdogs too.
AWESOME !

Having CB / Wrangler Fun ...is ...FUN !
Get some kid's involved ...even more FUN !
Gary

1 - 19 of 19 Posts