Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a follow-up to a previous thread, I thought I would provide an update of additional testing of my observations regarding the performance of Winchester Super-X vs. CCI Maxi-Mag ammunition in my 5 1/2” Single Six. All testing was performed from a rest at a measured 25 yards using a 4” circle bull as a target. The test gun and ammunition:
Air gun Sleeve Grey Trigger Wood

Results with Winchester Super-X:

Font Circle Symmetry Pattern Illustration

Art Circle Font Terrestrial plant Symbol

Results with CCI Maxi-Mag. 18 rounds fired at the target- numerous complete misses and evidence of bullets tumbling:

Water Pest Landscape Twig Electric blue

Plant Gas Circle Font Concrete

Circle Pest Parasite Font Insect

Water Insect Pest Parasite Ocean

Wood Insect Trunk Tree Terrestrial plant

Water Insect Body of water Lake Pest

Water Fluid Wood Insect Twig

As with many rimfire firearms, this revolver definitely displays a consistent preference/dislike for certain loads. My Winchester 9422M shoots the CCI ammunition with no issues.

Just my observations…….

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,459 Posts
My New Model Single Six with 9.5" barrel has a clear preference for the Super X .22WMR 40gr JHP over the CCI Maxi Mags in HP or Solid form. It's a matter of group size, but nothing as dramatic as what is happening in your revolver. I have never seen such a difference! Have you tried different loads like Hornady, Federal, or Fiocchi? My Marlin 25M likes the Fiocchi 40gr JSP. The Remington .22WMR 40gr JSP was the best load in my rifle but I haven't seen it in years. CCI has always been a solid performer in rifle or handgun even if it printed larger groups.
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Machine gun

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood
Rectangle Packaging and labeling Carton Font Box

Hood Handwriting Automotive lighting Sleeve Automotive design

·
Registered
349 Posts
Looks like your SS has a brand preference. A preference for one over the other isn't unusual but keyholing/tumbling is odd to me.

Curious why the CCI tumbled. Did you happen to measure the bullet diameter of the both the super X and the maxi mag? Was it possible the barrel or cylinder was fouled before the CCI's were shot?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve got an old model three screw single six combo that I shoot primarily 22 mag with and have always used Winchester in the white box as it has been reasonably available even during this last shortage.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
To answer a few questions:

The CCI was shot through both a clean and a fouled barrel with no difference in performance.

I have not pulled any bullets and measured their diameter.

I recently found some Hornady ammunition and will test it with some Federal and Remington loads when I get a chance.
Font Electronic device Rectangle Machine Electric blue

And as a point of clarification, I am not disparaging CCI. On the contrary, CCI is my preferred brand for all my rimfire ammunition needs (.22LR, .22WMR and .17HMR), so this observation was quite surprising.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Ngashooter as a fan of stainless steel 6 inch barrel revolvers I must say your 9.5 inch blued barrel is one sweet looker. How is the draw from a shoulder holster? I only joke because of my jealousy of all the great single action revolvers on this forum.

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,459 Posts
Ngashooter as a fan of stainless steel 6 inch barrel revolvers I must say your 9.5 inch blued barrel is one sweet looker. How is the draw from a shoulder holster? I only joke because of my jealousy of all the great single action revolvers on this forum.
Shoulder holster? Blasphemy! I tote it on my hip. Slung low with the leather thong tied around my calf. :D It carries ok in my vintage George Lawrence holster, but quick draw is out of the question. My pearl handled Old Model clears leather quicker.
Trigger Air gun Shotgun Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver
Revolver Material property Wood Air gun Fashion accessory

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
This was shot by my Single Six, 6-1/2" bbl, .22 mag CCI Maxi Mag. It was at an indoor range with the target about 1/2 way down. It's the only .22 mag target I've kept because it was just one of those times when everything went right. I could almost "feel" the shots in red. I've shot Winchesters also, but no preference except I like the plastic box used for CCI's.
Precision sports Recreation Sports Circle Archery

1 - 13 of 13 Posts