Ruger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a follow-up to a previous thread, I thought I would provide an update of additional testing of my observations regarding the performance of Winchester Super-X vs. CCI Maxi-Mag ammunition in my 5 1/2” Single Six. All testing was performed from a rest at a measured 25 yards using a 4” circle bull as a target. The test gun and ammunition:
Air gun Sleeve Grey Trigger Wood

Results with Winchester Super-X:

Font Circle Symmetry Pattern Illustration

Art Circle Font Terrestrial plant Symbol

Results with CCI Maxi-Mag. 18 rounds fired at the target- numerous complete misses and evidence of bullets tumbling:

Water Pest Landscape Twig Electric blue

Plant Gas Circle Font Concrete

Circle Pest Parasite Font Insect

Water Insect Pest Parasite Ocean

Wood Insect Trunk Tree Terrestrial plant

Water Insect Body of water Lake Pest

Water Fluid Wood Insect Twig

As with many rimfire firearms, this revolver definitely displays a consistent preference/dislike for certain loads. My Winchester 9422M shoots the CCI ammunition with no issues.

Just my observations…….

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
To answer a few questions:

The CCI was shot through both a clean and a fouled barrel with no difference in performance.

I have not pulled any bullets and measured their diameter.

I recently found some Hornady ammunition and will test it with some Federal and Remington loads when I get a chance.
Font Electronic device Rectangle Machine Electric blue

And as a point of clarification, I am not disparaging CCI. On the contrary, CCI is my preferred brand for all my rimfire ammunition needs (.22LR, .22WMR and .17HMR), so this observation was quite surprising.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts