Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In addition to the LC9s that brought me to this forum I own a Colt 6920 5.56 rifle. I've studied up on the differences between 5.56 and .223 ammo and do's and dont's. In general it seems that .223 ammo is fine for a 5.56 but that there will be "some loss in accuracy."

I'm more of a plinker and have this rifle for SHTF / Zombie scenarios. Will I notice any loss in accuracy / power using the .223 instead of the 5.56 ammo?

I ask because .223 ammo has much better selection and prices.

Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
The 5.56 NATO chamber has a longer leade, which allows it to fire the NATO-spec ammunition without the pressure spike you see when firing it through a .223 chamber.

In reality, the difference in accuracy is slight, unless you are shooting small targets at long distances. For that matter, the accuracy of the 5.56 NATO chamber will be the same with "mil-spec" 5.56 ammunition and commercial .223 ammunition.

One point: theoretically, all chambers marked "5.56 NATO" (or similar) should have the longer leade, but I've heard that sometimes the markings are wrong. if you're concerned, a gunsmith can easily check it or you can stick to the cheaper and more readily obtained .223 ammunition.

Jim

·
Registered
76 Posts
Shoot the 223 stuff. Your not going to notice any differences. I own two Colts, a Match Target and a Carbine. They will easily out shoot the average shooter. Only a chrony and a micrometer will know the diffrence.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Yup, just choot it!

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,286 Posts
Will I notice any loss in accuracy / power using the .223 instead of the 5.56 ammo?
No two rifles are the same, so my anecdotal evidence is just that. That said......... I just put together PSA's "freedom rifle" kit with the 1:7 twist 5.56 barrel. With 62 grain Federal Fusion .223 ammo it was shooting .75" groups the day it was assembled. If that's a "loss in accuracy", I'll take it. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts