Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people using for a home defense round in your 5.56/.223 rifles?

I like to keep a 20 round magazine in the gun when put away, and would like it to be something effective for home defense.

I'm looking at the Hornady TAP 55gr or 72gr..........any advantage to a heavier bullet?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
The 55 gr Hornady TAP is a good HD round. I think the heavier 72 gr might penetrate through walls more than the 55 gr. Not something you really want.

I have chosen Federal Fusion MSR 62 gr for my HD load. Massive expansion, and not a lot of penetration, but enough to get the job done. In ballistic get anyway. I don't know how it performs through interior and exterior walls tho.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, I don't want a thru shot and penetration of walls behind the target.

I want to hit the target and have it stop there, so the 55gr would probably be the better weight.

Winchester PDX1 .223 Personal Defense Ammo gets some good reviews online too.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Go take a look at this round. It's called Magsafe. A friend, who is a retired state cop keeps this round in his carry gun and said I should look at getting some.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
;). 50 to 55gr soft point for varmints is my choice

·
"The Real Deal"
8,028 Posts
Hornady sst, barnes tsx triple shock, all rounds designed to dump alot of energy on target. I read alot about the .223 and barriers in the past. You would be surprised that most handgun rounds penetrate deeper than a 5.56 of any type will. In particular, 9mmx19mm, 40sw, 45 acp, etc. Through sheetrock these rounds keep on going most times twice or more times the .223. I personally have 75 grain hornady bthp's in mine, but thats just my preference. TAP is a good defense round, or even the zmax.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I stopped at Cabelas on my way home from work today, and they didn't have any home defense .223 rounds at all.......all hunting and FMJ.

I'll have to hit a couple other stores to see what I can find local......mail order as a last resort.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I load 55 gr Hornady polymer tip varmint bullets.

·
Registered
17,258 Posts

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I stopped at Cabelas on my way home from work today, and they didn't have any home defense .223 rounds at all.......all hunting and FMJ.

I'll have to hit a couple other stores to see what I can find local......mail order as a last resort.
Order from Cabela's online & ship to store for free. According to my wife, I am an expert!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Shooting through walls. MYTH CONFIRMED.

Unless you live in Chicagoland where conduit and boxes are required even in residential houses you will not run into much in a house that will slow or even deflect a 9MM or .223 round.

When you get to CMU or brick they will stop or deflect. However, I know that even not all CMU walls will not stop an M855 round.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2015_season)#Shooting_Through_Walls

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
There are plenty of studies and shooting confirmed by the like of Massod Ayoob that varmint .223 will not over penetrate the human body. In fact a polymer tip .223 has no more penetration than many handgun rounds.
As far as two layers of sheet rock it won't stop many rounds of any sort. Bird shot will go through that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts