Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made two different loads today. First one with Sierra 69 gr HPBT and second with Hornady 68 gr HPBT. My experienced bullet maker/supplier recommended AA 2460 over 2330. I wanted Varget but he was out.
Anyone here like this combination?
Guess I'll find out tomorrow if my gun likes them when I shoot these.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Don't know about the first two, but Varget should work very well with those bullets. I use around 24.7gr Varget with the 68/69 gr bullets for my AR-15 match loads.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Best 100 yard three shot groups from a front rest.

First target Sierra, second Hornady. I was a happy shooter that day. Guess the master reloader knew what he was talking about!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
H335 works well and many around here use RamShot.

The 335 seems pretty clean but then I have a piston gun...

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
What rifle? Great shooting!!!!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found some Varget, I will see if this is what it is cracked up to be.

Sr40ken thank you, Colt lower but I doubt that matters, out of the box RRA 20" Predator Pursuit upper.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
And here I was proud of my 1 [email protected] 100 out of my Mini 14. Back to the reloading bench for me!!!LOL

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sr40ken, 1 MOA out of a Mini sounds really good. Better than my chrome lined 16" barrel will do which was the reason I got the 20" Rock River barrrel.

I feel like a dunce. I found a powder (2460) that meters like water and gets one ragged hole in my gun and then I try something else? I did find a very nice accurate Varget load but it takes much longer to make as each charge has to be trickeled.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Varget is great, but...

Have had a love-hate relationship with Varget, which is pretty common for .223 users. It's accurate, but it's very bulky and with 55 grain bullets, it fills the entire case with higher charges, often prohibiting proper bullet seating, even with a drop tube. For heavier bullets using lower charge weights, it works terrific. It's certainly not a powder for progressives. H335 is fantastic, but I'm not a big fan of ball powders for a number of reasons, so I've lately started working with Benchmark and Reloder 10-X with very promising results. I just glass bedded my Mini-14, so I'll be trying some loads in it tomorrow.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks GunBlue, I'll try to find those powders. I keep hearing about Reloader 15 being great, maybe try that also. I'm gonna need more shelf room.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts