Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First as it says in the sig I do have an AR 556.

Being a left handed shooter I do not enjoy most right hand only bolt action rifles. I recently came across a Remington 7615 pump action police .223/556. Any opinions on this rifle over other comparable bolt actions? I really like it and maybe that is enough to "pull the trigger" as they say but I didn't know such a thing existed until last week so not much info out there. Any help is appreciated!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,049 Posts
JoeCruz, Very interesting ... I did not know there was a pump action rifle chambered in 223 Rem. I looked it up .... nifty!! It uses AR-15 magazines ... a big plus. It is still a right handed model .... ejects out of the right side and has a right handed safety. That said, it would likely be better for a leftie than a right handed bolt action. BTW, there are some left hand bolt action rifles available. Keep us posted ... if you buy it, I'd be interested in your evaluation of the Remy 7615. For a K buck, it should be a good rifle.

Here's a link to some left handed Remy bolt guns: Left Hand Centerfire Rifle - Remington Left Hand Centerfire Rifle

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Iowegan I will report back with pics if I end up with it.

The 2nd part of my question is: I have been told that bolt action is generally more powerful and accurate that a semi-auto. Assuming that is true would I get similar benefits with a pump action over a semi auto? Long story short with an AR556 in the stable is there any point in pursuing a bolt or pump action chambered in 223/556?

·
Banned
650 Posts
Savage makes a lot of left hand bolt actions. Did you have a bad experience with a Savage? Savage also has a rebate on most of their rifles. A neighbor has an Axis II Xp chambered in 243. I liked it so much I ordered a 308 for myself. The Axis II has the Accutrigger and a decent Bushnell scope. The scope rings are not adequate. I will have to get some steel scope rings.

If you have your heart set on the pump shoot it before you buy it. I have never seen a Remington pump or Semi Auto that worked. I have only heard people on the internet say my gun has run 75,000 rounds without a malfunction or anything breaking. I tend to believe what I see.

·
17,049 Posts
JoeCruz, More powerful???? That comes mostly from the ammo you are shooting coupled with the barrel length. Let's put it this way .... if you had a pump and a bolt action rifle with the same barrel length and shooting the same ammo .... power would be equal.

Some things to consider .... box magazine pump guns feed much like a bolt action and shouldn't cause any bullet damage that affects accuracy. Tube fed pump guns are way more complex and often skin bullets as a round is fed. That pretty much leaves the action itself as the major difference. Bolt action rifles are famous for having a very tight lock-up. Pump guns typically don't lock-up as tight. Scopes typically mount a lot more solid on a bolt action and trigger pull is typically lighter than a pump gun.

So ... there are a few minor issues that favor a bolt action but it sure wouldn't prevent me from buying a pump gun .... something different that very few people own.

·
Registered
154 Posts
At one time I had two Remington 30-06s, a 742 semi auto and a 760 pump. I never had a problem with feeding or accuracy with either one. I found that the pump was quicker to get back on target than the semi auto. By working the pump action it pulled the rifle back toward the target when moved forward briskly. I think the Remington pumps lock up pretty tight, I wouldn't be afraid of one in 223/5.56.
FM

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Score! Traded my sp101 in .357 (kicked too much for me). Range report soon!

now hunting for a GP100

Attachments

·
17,049 Posts
JoeCruz, I sure like the picture of the wood stocked 7615 Ranch ... the 7615 Police is a bit too tactical looking for me .... but then again, you are not spending my money. Let us know how it shoots, cycles, and fits.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah I agree the woodstock looks better but I don't think the non-police versions take the AR mags which was a big selling point for me.

·
17,049 Posts
JoeCruz, Remington's web site sez .... all 7615 models come with a 10 round AR-15 type magazine. If you like pump action rifles, I'm sure you will enjoy your 7615. I can see one of these in my future!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Pump action 30-06's used to be quite popular here in Pennsylvania for hunting white tails.
Because you don't have to change hand positions, or head position, or dismount the gun in order to load a fresh round, follow up shots can be quite quick. I have heard them referred to as " Amish Machineguns".

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pump action 30-06's used to be quite popular here in Pennsylvania for hunting white tails.
Because you don't have to change hand positions, or head position, or dismount the gun in order to load a fresh round, follow up shots can be quite quick. I have heard them referred to as " Amish Machineguns".
YES! This is her new name! hahahaha!

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
JoeCruz I have used a Remington Model 7600 for years my main deer hunting rifle. The Remington Model 760 is all that my dad ever used to hunt deer with. I like the 760/7600 rifles so much that back in August I was at the local Cabela's and they had in their used gun racks a Remington 760 chambered in .243 so I bought it my 7600 is in .270 I have only my own reloads in my Remington 7600 & never had any problems but I always have taken my time to turn out the best reloads that I can. I feel that the Remington 7615 is a neat gun I priced one about 3-4 years ago and they are not made anymore to my knowledge unless Remington had brought it back again?? Never less the Remington Pump whether its a older 760 or a Model 6 or 7600 these are nice rifles!! I like the looks of your 7615 but personally do not care for the AR15 style of gunstock on them I would much prefer a nicer wood stock. I have 2 rifles chambered in .223/5.56 my Mini 14 and my Marlin X7 .223 Bolt rifle if I could have found a 7615 when I was looking for a bolt action .223/5.56 I would have got the pump action vs the Bolt because of just being use to the Pump action rifle. Things to remember now that you have a pump action hi-powered rifle yes the action does have a tight lockup but this action is not as inherently strong as a bolt action so because of this I never reloaded any on my ammo to a maximum powered charge!!! I would keep my powder chg's in the medium range. Hope this helps if you decide to shoot reloads!! The pump action will handle it with no problems good luck & look forward in a shooting report!!!:D;)

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
The Remington 7615 is very hard to find & when you do find one dig deep $$ into your pockets!! At least thats what I have found here in Utah!!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
A friend has, and has had the 7615 (.223) for quite a while. Both he and his wife shoot it frequently. They've no complaints at all and I do know the thing ain't for sale!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts