Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
308 Posts
Thanks for that. Having been a shooter during those times, of draft age, and with Viet Nam ratcheting up, I remember the squawk about the original issue rifles NOT being chrome plated as was designed by Stoner. Their high failure rate in the field left a lot of bitterness back then.

Also the idea of a tumble-upon-impact bullet seemed, well, rather unsuitable for routine civilian use.

Radio George

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
Thanks for posting Iowegan!

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Wow. I really appreciate that. I can't tell you how many other articles I've read that claimed to explain the difference but then completely failed to do so. Your article makes things clear.

I do have one question, though. I've been seeing some AR-15's lately that have ".223 Wylde" chambers. No one I have talked to seems to be very good at explaining what that is. How is it different from .223 and 5.56 chambers? Does it have any advantages?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ditto1958, In the article, I said: "Basically, a Wylde chamber is a favorable mix of a 5.56 NATO and a 223 Rem chamber where any 223 Rem or 5.56 ammo will fire safely and accurately. 5.56 NATO chamber can be reamed with a Wylde reamer to relieve the base diameter. 223 Rem chamber can be reamed with a Wylde reamer to extend the leade."

A Wylde reamer is longer in the throat than a 223 Rem so it will allow the chamber to accommodate a slightly longer bullet ogive like found in 5.56 NATO ammo. The base of the reamer is a thousandth or so larger in diameter than a 5.56 NATO chamber so it will allow a 223 Rem cartridge to chamber without binding on the base.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
ditto1958, In the article, I said: "Basically, a Wylde chamber is a favorable mix of a 5.56 NATO and a 223 Rem chamber where any 223 Rem or 5.56 ammo will fire safely and accurately. 5.56 NATO chamber can be reamed with a Wylde reamer to relieve the base diameter. 223 Rem chamber can be reamed with a Wylde reamer to extend the leade."

A Wylde reamer is longer in the throat than a 223 Rem so it will allow the chamber to accommodate a slightly longer bullet ogive like found in 5.56 NATO ammo. The base of the reamer is a thousandth or so larger in diameter than a 5.56 NATO chamber so it will allow a 223 Rem cartridge to chamber without binding on the base.
Thank you. I must need better reading glasses- or a better memory- cuz I sure did miss that somehow. I'm going back to re-read the article.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Good post. The amount of "free bore" in the 5.56, is greater than the .223 Remington. People need to understand that when you shove a 5.56 into a .223 chamber, that bullet is dangerously close to the "leade" on the rifling. Some can even be touching, creating a huge pressure spike.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Fantastic!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Thank you, once again!

I need to order a new sizing die and now I know to order a 'small base' for my two Stag ARs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts