Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone uses a 22LR conversion in your AR? Does it work OK? Any certain one you'd recommend?
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
No experience with one myself, I ended up going straight for a dedicated platform and run the S&W 15-22. Overall weight is lighter than an AR but you can still practice many of the same skill sets. Downside is the extra cost of course, I'm seeing it run around $369 with many conversions running at half that or less.

I'm curious what folks have to say about the conversions, it's an attractive idea.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I use a CMMG conversion in this AR pistol:
20140330_144037 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
20140313_163249 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

It's recommended to use only round nose high velocity plated ammunition.

I've used some imported (Armscor) ammo with some success, though it really leaves the gun a mess and has more instances of misfires than anything else I've tried.

I've had a couple case blowouts with a couple brands, (Remington was one IIRC) but didn't notice until I looked at some brass. The gun was unaffected. Sticking with CCI and Federal has given the best success. It's been 99% reliable by my best calculations.

The firing pin channel needs to be kept clean or light strikes will result and the bore of the conversion has to be "buzzed" with a drill driven bore brush every use. They also recommend blowing out the gas system with 5.56 after at least every 500 rounds of 22lr.

It's not perfect, but is well worth it.

I have a 10/22 and am working on putting together a fancy 15-22 but this thing is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I also use a CMMG, but I have a dedicated .22lr upper instead of just a conversion kit (complete rifle actually). The dedicated upper will have a barrel with the appropriate twist for .22lr, which will be more accurate. I have also added a "Better-Mag S&W adaptor" to my lower which allows me to use the readily available magazine from the M&P 15-22. It also provides a true bolt hold open function with the magazine removed.

My setup works great... use cheap bulk ammo, whatever is available.

·
Banned
84 Posts
CMMG

I use a CMMG kit also. As mentioned earlier, use good quality plated/jacketed ammo.

I went with a conversion kit rather than a dedicated upper for 2 reasons: cost and I wanted to use the same optics/sights set-up when shooting .22lr as well as .223/5.56.

Keep it clean and lubed. Takes a little getting used to but it is a lot if fun.

BK

·
Registered
440 Posts
I went with a conversion kit rather than a dedicated upper for 2 reasons: cost and I wanted to use the same optics/sights set-up when shooting .22lr as well as .223/5.56.
You can use the same optics / sight set-up with a dedicated upper... it just requires you to purchase two of them. But if you are using a red dot, such as an Aimpoint on your 5.56, a Bushnell TRS-25 fills in fine on the .22lr. And I don't have to adjust the sights for use with .22lr and then zero again for 5.56.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Just wondered if anyone uses a 22LR conversion in your AR? Does it work OK? Any certain one you'd recommend?
Thanks
I've had a Chiappa M4-22 upper for a few years, works fine with all the lowers I've tried. But I have a M&P 15-22 now so the Chiappa sits in a closet.

Jeff

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yeah, me too. I would just go with the S&W 15-22.
The S&W M&P 15-22 is a good .22lr that mimics the manual of arms of an AR very well, but does not have the same weight. If you go with either a dedicated upper or a conversion, you have the same weight and same trigger. Pros and cons with each.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have acquired an US Army issued 22 LR conversion kit from the late 1960's early 1970's and was wondering if it will have any issues in my AR556? I see everybody else have used the CMMG kits but I do not know who manufactured the one for Military issue? Any feed back would be great and thanks.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I have acquired an US Army issued 22 LR conversion kit from the late 1960's early 1970's and was wondering if it will have any issues in my AR556? I see everybody else have used the CMMG kits but I do not know who manufactured the one for Military issue? Any feed back would be great and thanks.
Try it and see.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I have a Chiappa M4-22 upper that works with any AR I've tried. But I have a S&W M&P 15-22 so I rarely use the conversion.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
As others have stated a dedicated upper is the most reliable way to go. A 5.56 barrel has a twist rate of 1-7 to 1-9 where. 22lr requires 1-16 so accuracy suffers.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The S&W M&P 15-22 is a good .22lr that mimics the manual of arms of an AR very well, but does not have the same weight. If you go with either a dedicated upper or a conversion, you have the same weight and same trigger. Pros and cons with each.

The 15-22 has an AR trigger, you can also upgrade it with any available AR trigger. All the controls are where the should be, and you can add mil spec Magpul stock. Mine is set up very similar to my Stag model 2 and besides the weight is a great trainer. Paid $320

Attachments

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
why bother? the cost of a conversion may be more than the cost of a full time 22?

Whats your reason for the conversion? Weapon familiarity? Cost?

Think about it

·
Registered
440 Posts
The 15-22 has an AR trigger, you can also upgrade it with any available AR trigger. All the controls are where the should be, and you can add mil spec Magpul stock. Mine is set up very similar to my Stag model 2 and besides the weight is a great trainer. Paid $320
I'm aware of that, as we have a 15-22 as well. Bought it for my boy. After shooting it, I wanted a .22lr AR, but I wanted one that was the same weight as my AR.

When I say "you have the same trigger" when using a dedicated upper, I mean the same trigger.... not an AR trigger, not another trigger of the same brand... the exact same trigger. :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
CMMG .22 lr. conversion on a Colt AR Match Target. No problems, feeds fine with very good accuracy. I would not have a AR without one now. I use it a lot!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts