Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my first revolver in the GP100 match champion w/adjustable sights (really fun shooter) and I am thinking about a 22lr revolver to work on my DA trigger control and just for fun. Needs to be reasonably accurate out to 25 yards just because my club only has a 25 yard bullseye range so the majority of my shooting is at that distance. Doesn't need to be a bullseye shooter accurate though, (it'd be nice but not necessary), just not all over the place at distance.

So seems like there are a few options for this; sp101, Taurus 990, S&W 617, S&W 317, S&W 17, Charter Arms Pathfinder, etc.

I have had a S&W 617 in both 4" and 6" in hand as well as a S&W k17-3 , a S&W 317, and a Taurus 990. Can't find a Charter Arms or SP101 in 22lr around to check out in person. Haven't fired any of then though so no real experience with them.

So what do you think? Low cost options like Taurus 990 or Charter Arms any good? Should I go whole hog on the S&W 617 or 17? Is the SP101 a reasonable choice? Any advice on this?

Thanks for the help,
-Jim

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
If you plan to use the gun as an alternate to shooting the GP, I'd go with the 17/617 for the sake of keeping the size similar. The SP101, the 317 and the like are really very different animals as far as shooting. Problem with a new 617, though, may be finding one.

Like so many of us GP fans, I'm still hoping to see Ruger offer a GP in 22 LR. Have been plenty of rumors, but no guns, yet. To me, that would be the ideal 22 for practice using a GP.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I love my SP101 22LR, and though it has a heavy trigger it is manageable and acts as a good trainer for my other DA revolvers.

Don't go cheap and get a Taurus. You don't have to go high end like the S&W 617 (great gun) to get the results you're looking for. So I'd say the SP101 is that goldilocks gun for what you're looking to accomplish.

Now good luck finding enough 22lr to practice with.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I went this route a few years ago. Bought a 617 to shoot at the range along with my GP100 and Redhawk. It's a nice gun and was fun to shoot, but eventually I sold it.

The problem is that a heavy revolver shooting 22LR has almost no recoil and feels nothing like shooting a GP100 or Redhawk with normal loads. A big part of shooting a revolver is learning to deal with the recoil and not flinching.

You would be far better off to get into reloading (if not already), reload your own 38 and 357 ammo to whatever levels you like, and practice with your GP100 exclusively.

I also noticed the following -
1. Dirty 22LR ammo (Thunderbolts especially) is a pain in a revolver. In a 10 shot 617 with 10 dirty empty brass cases in the cylinder, it was sometimes a real pain to push them out with the extractor.
2. Soft lead bullets (again, Thunderbolts) will lead up the forcing cone on a revolver like you wouldn't believe. I shoot hard cast lead in my GP100 and Redhawks every week and never have problems with leading. In the 617 with cheap 22LR ammo, it was a mess.
3. Forget about lightening the trigger pull on a 22LR revolver. In order to set off the primers, the hammer needs to hit the firing pin hard. If you reduce the hammer spring, you will get lots of light strikes.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have a 4" 617, a 3" 317, the new 4" SP101-22, a 4" Charter Pathfinder, and 3 DA 2" snubs in 22, LCR, Pathfinder, Taurus 94.

The Pathfinder is an excellent low cost option. Its accurate, well made, and has a good trigger for a DA 22 revolver.

The 317 is so light that it feels like a toy. Its difficult to shoot accurately, because of the weight, and the terrible combo of sights. The front fiber is fine, but the rear "V" notch sight doesn't make it easy to line up. There is no white line, like the Ruger "V' rear sight, and in my opinion is a fail for the 317. The gun is very accurate, but hitting a target is difficult.

The 617 is nice, costs more than twice what the Pathfinder costs, but is certainly heirloom quality. Its a beautiful revolver that is a joy to own, and perfect in every way. It has a heavy DA trigger with a short travel, and that causes it to be jerky, but SA is superb. It costs more than $200 more than the SP101-22, and as far as putting a bullet on target, doesn't do it any better than the others. One thing the 617 has going for it, is a 4" or 6" barrel. Mine is a 4" and if I could find a 6", I would probably grab it. The 6" barrel takes it out of the "do anything" category in my opinion, but for target and hunting, I think it would be better than a 4"

The SP101-22 is my favorite of the 4 longer guns. Its built like any Ruger, heavier than it needs to be, beautifully finished, and very accurate. Mine has a great DA trigger(helped by my wife with trigger time, and Wolff springs) and SA is very nice. I installed a "Target" style grip from jaruwan.p on Ebay(Thailand) and the gun is perfect.

Any of the three, Pathfinder, 617 or SP101-22 will put the bullet on target accurately. IF thats all that matters, then the Pathfinder is a great choice. IF you want a nicer looking gun, with better sights, and more capacity, and probably the best overall value, its the SP101. If you want the ultimate, and money is no concern, get the 617.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have most of the revolvers talked about on this thread
Thanks S&W 617 is the gun you are needing to do your practing.
Yes it costs a lot more than some others, but it always shoots, and holds its value.
I enjoy shooting my 617.
I also have never met a Smith&Wesson revolver that I did not like.
Good luck, and I hope you find a suitable revolver.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My answer to your dilemma, S&W 19 .357 on top; S&W 17 .22 on the bottom. They are identical except for orange post white outline sights on the 19. They shoot identical too, sans the 19 has a bigger bite.

uploadfromtaptalk1444576906190.jpg

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
You will not find a finer DA .22 LR then a S&W Model 17, that's how I feel about mine. The other guns you mention are also very nice especially he Ruger SP101 in .22 LR yes the Rugers trigger pull I heavy but it can be adjusted more to you own likings. The Ruger quality is already here. Taurus is not a bad way to go,but stay away from the model 94's or the j frame sized guns made br Taurud, nothing from with thr larger framed Taurus's they are nice guns!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a line on a S&W model 18. Going to check it out tomorrow at my local ffl. I'm not sure what the asking price is yet. They have a model 17-3 they are asking $800, a used 617 6" for $650 and a new 617 4" for $800.

Only good thing about NJ, it's such a pain to get pistol purchase permits that we do tend to have certain pistols available that other areas don't and used stuff takes longer to sell because there aren't so many collectors around and people don't want to "waste" a permit.

Got to see how hard line they are on the prices, might try and chew them down on one of these...

Anyone with current pricing on these? Do they sound high?
Thanks
-Jim

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
$800 for the 4" 617 is high. I paid $689 2 years ago(granted, 2 years...)

I think $650 for the 6" is fair. I would pay that if its in perfect shape, and I assume it is.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, went in today and I read it wrong, they wanted $675 for the used 6" 617 so I got them down to $625 so I put a down payment on it until I can use my next pistol permit (week and a half)

They offer a 1 year guarantee on it so if there are any issues for a year (assuming it's not an issue I caused by changing springs or something) they will fix it.

They put some snap caps in so I could test out the trigger. The single action is extremely light, and just an amazingly crisp break. One of the guys in my club was on the Marine Corps bullseye team 20 some odd years ago and he still has his Colt Gold Cup 1911 that was worked by the Marine Corps armory. I shot it once (absolutely awesome 1911) and the SA break on this 617 reminded me of it immediately, no kidding.

Double action is smooth and light as well. I have to think the previous owner had a trigger job done on it. I am very impressed with just how nice the trigger is. Can't wait to get it to the range and see how it shoots, hopefully there are no reliability issues but they did say they would cover any issues if I had a problem.

I really would have liked the 4" but they wouldn't budge on the $800 price and since it would be a range gun only and I am really just looking to improve my double action trigger control, I think I am fine with the 6".

Thanks for all the help.
-Jim

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Sounds like a sweet 617. If you have reliable ignition I'd say you done real good. That sounds like a terrific 22 DA revolver.

·
Super Moderator
21,692 Posts
Congrats. IMHO the 6" is preferred to the 4" in a 22 revolver. The longer sight radius helps me with sight alignment so I shoot them better. Enjoy the new Smith they are a fine revolver.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a number of companion gun sets: 627PC 5” and 617 5”; 627Pro 4” and 617 4”; SP101 4” .357 and 4” .22 plus a couple more. Don’t really know which is my favorite; I like them all. If you are going with a GP100 you might want to consider the 17 and 617. I wouldn’t waste my time with Taurus.

If you have narrowed it down to the 6” 617, that is a good choice. My only heartburn with the 6” 617 it what I feel is a bit of excessive muzzle forward weight bias. I fixed mine by having the barrel trimmed to 5”. Now it exactly matches the weight and balance of my 627PC.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Jim,

I recently picked up a used S&W 617 and love it. Great weapon and works wonderful. Some issues about dirty 22LR. If you use good ammo I have had no issues. I am using CCI Mini Mags and clean after each visit and no issue at all. My guess is I have 900 rounds since I got the weapon and previous owner is guessing 2500 rounds.

If you go with the 617 I know you will be happy if it can fit within your budget.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts